Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Thalassic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 am

WalkingContradiction wrote:yeah well bringing her into the house is not really an option, I don't want to take her to the pound because well... there are a looot of sweet hand raised foster kittens that don't get adopted and a skittish full grown cat wouldn't stand much of a chance unfortunately. The weather here is mild year round besides a few nights during the winter. I try to put blankets out and am hoping to set out food for her. If that sounds acceptable? I am trying to get her tame enough to take to the vet so she can get checked for a chip and/or spayed if she needs that... cause I DEFINITELY don't need kittens...

but yeah my dad hates cats mainly because they kill birds...

Blankets aren't ideal because they can get wet quickly, and then dry slowly (especially in cold weather), making them cold and uncomfortable. I'd suggest looking into making a diy shelter for outside cats. There are many tutorials out there, like this one, and most of them just require 2 boxes (not cardboard) and some straw or anything else for insulation.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WalkingContradiction » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 am

Thalassic wrote:
WalkingContradiction wrote:yeah well bringing her into the house is not really an option, I don't want to take her to the pound because well... there are a looot of sweet hand raised foster kittens that don't get adopted and a skittish full grown cat wouldn't stand much of a chance unfortunately. The weather here is mild year round besides a few nights during the winter. I try to put blankets out and am hoping to set out food for her. If that sounds acceptable? I am trying to get her tame enough to take to the vet so she can get checked for a chip and/or spayed if she needs that... cause I DEFINITELY don't need kittens...

but yeah my dad hates cats mainly because they kill birds...

Blankets aren't ideal because they can get wet quickly, and then dry slowly (especially in cold weather), making them cold and uncomfortable. I'd suggest looking into making a diy shelter for outside cats. There are many tutorials out there, like this one, and most of them just require 2 boxes (not cardboard) and some straw or anything else for insulation.

okay that sounds good!! (there was a short notice and all I could do was through a blanket in the shed)
I'm definitely gonna try to make something like this!!
WalkingContradiction

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lepisma » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:26 pm

ImageImage
My three babies <3
Lepisma

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby samm. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Well, it's a little past the morning that I promised, but I've got pictures so that should make up for my lateness! Hopefully..? ^^; Tbh the holidays are kicking my butt and I just haven't had the time to get online as often as I'd like. Not to mention I'm pretty sure I'm getting a cold, probably from the time I spent outside shoveling snow off the sidewalks of mine and the neighbors houses, so that's fun lol. Okay, enough about me, lets just get to what y'all actually care about! Here we have Juniper, Mina, Annabelle, and Noelle! Plus as a sort of added bonus here's a picture of mama Prue with the babies. Eventually I'm gonna get one of their father Theodore, he's hiding somewhere right now, probably sleeping, so I'll try getting one tomorrow.

PikaPerfect wrote:aw! i'm glad everything seems to be going well! i thought about possibly breeding cats when i get older, but after doing a ton of research, it seems way too difficult, and i'm also very squeamish so i wouldn't be able to help the mama cat if something went wrong while she gave birth ;n; i'll just stick to adopting kittens from shelters i guess <3

Thank you! Breeding animals is something my parents have been doing since I was young. They actually bred dogs for quite a few years before they switched over to cats, I help out a lot so I've gotten used to dealing with the good, the bad, and the yucky haha. While I like it, and getting to be around adorable kittens is in no way a bad thing, I don't think its something I'll get too far into. I would however like to try my hand at breeding rodents, specifically mice, maybe rats ^_^ Adopting kittens from shelters is an amazing thing to do by the way! <3

Brynmala wrote:Congratulations! I hope they are all still doing ok, were there any more? That sounds like a lovely mix of colours, is Prue a dilute herself, or just a carrier?

Thank you! They're all doing amazing, and she actually didn't end up having anymore. I hadn't gotten a look at her while she was standing, so I assumed that she still had another few to go due to how big she still looked while laying down. It's obvious now that I look at her while standing that she's all done, which is fine, although I was kind of hoping for a boy. Her family history however is known for having all female litters, so I should've known not to get my hopes up haha. If I'm being honest, I don't really know too much about genetics when it comes to cats. Prue's grandmother was a dilute calico, would that make her a carrier even though she herself is black and white? Theos mother was also a dilute calico, not the same one from Prues family line, so would that make him a carrier as well?
samm.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rainbow Dash » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 am

I got catnip at the grocery store for Tambora to get him interested in his cat tree and toys. No response. He sniffed and walked away calmly. Either the catnip I got for him is cheap and low quality or catnip doesn't work. Never had a cat turn down catnip.
[: Veterinary professional | Female | Hobbyist artist :]
Image Image Image Image
New Chicken Smoothie Tarot
[: Free-to-Use CS Graphics || Request Free CS Graphics || Every Pet As a Stamp Project :]
Sig art by me || Avatar by Scragster || Busy with work! Might be slow to respond!
Rainbow Dash

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am

Rainbow Dash wrote:I got catnip at the grocery store for Tambora to get him interested in his cat tree and toys. No response. He sniffed and walked away calmly. Either the catnip I got for him is cheap and low quality or catnip doesn't work. Never had a cat turn down catnip.

could be the wrong sort of catnip? maybe try an other or fresh^^...when i read it right, some cat may only react to catnip with calm happiness and no going crazy

or simply...the tree is not interesting at all...maybe you can test some different ones out in a store, with your cat... or take some home to see what he likes.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:29 am

Not every cat likes catnip. In fact my cats just plsy with their cat nip scented toys because thry can throw them around the catnip scent is long gone lol.

Some cats aren't even affected by it and vast majority of cats go nuts and than get calm.

Some only like the catnip scented toys do not get a catnip ball.

catnip balls are low quality amd terrible they are not as potent because they are condensed and half the time they half used because of the way you make catnip balls.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lunarsnow » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:58 pm

❥Shilou&Crew wrote:
    If I'm being honest, I don't really know too much about genetics when it comes to cats. Prue's grandmother was a dilute calico, would that make her a carrier even though she herself is black and white? Theos mother was also a dilute calico, not the same one from Prues family line, so would that make him a carrier as well?

I'm assuming Theo is red/ginger since you've got tortoiseshell kittens? But regardless, if he's not dilute himself then yep both mama and papa are carriers since they had two lovely little dilute ladies. If he is dilute then Prue is still a carrier since the dilute kittens need two dilute genes to have it visible.

Hm, are you sure your black kitten isn't male? If dad's red then all mollies should be torties since he'd pass his red X while mom would pass her black X making tortie girls while toms could be either red or black since they're XY rather than XX.
Random cat spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:35 pm

What breed is Prue anyway?
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby veggie » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:55 pm

I can't believe I've never come across this thread in all my time on CS! I have two kitties at home who are the bee's knees.
Winston, the tuxedo, is a rescue. I got him about 3 years ago and he's 5ish. Oliver, the little grey tabby, is a different story. I volunteered at an animal shelter about a year ago and came across a litter of 3 tiny kittens, no older than 3 weeks, who the vet at the shelter was claming were 9 weeks to 6 months old. No milk, no heat, and no mama. The other volunteers and I decided to change the way the babies were being cared for, but the tiniest boy wasn't doing so hot. He was very thin and not active at all. I decided I'd take him home, and the rest is history. He's now a rambunctious, healthy 1 year old.
These two are connected at the hip. Rarely do I see one without the other close by.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
veggie wrote:I have been on CS
for quite some time,
so if you have any
questions about trades,
navigating the site,
or anything of the like,
my inbox is always open!

veggie wrote:"If I had a flower for every time
I thought of you, I could walk in my
garden forever."
veggie