Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2 (open)

Postby Saracirce » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:05 am

Might as well be feeding him lettuce. What you're feeding your cat is about the same as expecting humans to subsist entirely on corn and iceberg lettuce. There are plenty of herbivore pets you can get and should have gotten instead of imposing your own values on an obligate carnivore.

And well, I'm not going to give advice on feeding an obligate carnivor e a vegan diet.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BudgieLover5000 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:14 am

You're the one getting into it at this point. What was I supposed to say? It's very difficult to come up with a lie as to why I wouldn't want to give him animal products as training treats, so I just told the truth. Surely your cats have eaten some non-meat food at some point in their lives, obligate carnivore or not, without having to be coerced into it? Neo ate nut cheese, he ate bread, he ate peanut butter, he ate nutritional yeast extract. He just didn't.. enjoy the bread very much and everything else is mushy and would require a spoon. I seriously doubt he's the only cat on planet Earth who has willingly devoured non-flesh substances and that is why I am asking. I don't want to argue. If you're incapable of being mature and actually trying to help without arguing with me because you disagree with my viewpoints and opinions, you could just choose not to respond to me at all.

If I baked some sort of peanut buttery thing, do you think he might eat that?
BudgieLover5000

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:21 am

You're feeding your cat a species inappropriate diet, and wondering why no one on this thread will help you?Vegan diets kill cats. You were given the links that explained why vegan diets are dangerous, and you decided to get a cat anyway and feed him a vegan diet. You're intentionally neglecting to give your cat what he needs to thrive, so if refusing to help you do that makes me immature, so be it.
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby plum » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:22 am

This argument gonna come around again?

Most of us aren't comfortable giving vegan suggestions - even treats - to an obligate carnivore, because, they're, well, obligate carnivores. Sure, my cat has eaten non-meat things but not frequently and not as her main diet, because I'd like to give her more biologically appropriate food than plant matter mixed with supplements.

hello
call me plum

i do commissions for USD, list pets, and dA points
sorry, i'm not interested in art trades or c$

my typing is inconsistent and i do Not care
plum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:25 am

Theres a difference between having a snack of something unhealthy and living off of something unhealthy.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:33 am

My cat has but my cat is also a found hound. We call her a cat bull terrier for a reason. Most cats are not my cat because my cat has stupidly insane food drive. Most cats will not willingly eat "non-flesh" substances unless they're being starved of the "flesh" they need.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if you're a vegan yourself. Really, I don't. No matter why you're a vegan, I don't care. I am against imposing your will on a creature who requires meat, bones and organs to survive. Put your cat outside and I'm willing to bet you a million dollars that, after he gets used to it, he will hunt down and eat a bird or small furry animal of some sort. Because that's cats do. They're predators. They have always been predators. Just like tigers, lions, cheetahs, leopards, bobcats and the dozen other animals classed as Felidae. (Unless you think they're cruel for hunting down prey animals amd eating them?) Having been domesticated does not change their digestive track that radically, especially considering cats were largely left to their own devices and have only fairly recently become common household pets.

Hope you're at least checking your peanut butter for xylitol!
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:40 am

Cardinal wrote:Theres a difference between having a snack of something unhealthy and living off of something unhealthy.

Which begs the question:

@chickpea what are you feeding him for his meals?
    Even if what you're giving him is only for treats, its incredibly selfish to get an obligate carnivore and then feed it a vegan diet based on your own ideals. If you want an animal that doesn't eat meat, go get a rabbit. Vegan diets kill cats, and it is abuse.
    Meat will be a higher value for him, and better for him, too.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:49 am

Keriae wrote:
Cardinal wrote:Theres a difference between having a snack of something unhealthy and living off of something unhealthy.

Which begs the question:

Even if what you're giving him is only for treats, its incredibly selfish to get an obligate carnivore and then feed it a vegan diet based on your own ideals. If you want an animal that doesn't eat meat, go get a rabbit. Vegan diets kill cats, and it is abuse.

They feed commercial vegan wet and vegan kibble.
They've been told before the dangers of feeding cats a vegan diet, but they don't seem to care.
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:52 am

Transkitty wrote:
Keriae wrote:

Which begs the question:

They feed commercial vegan wet and vegan kibble.
They've been told before the dangers of feeding cats a vegan diet, but they don't seem to care.

Thanks, Transkitty c: I have trouble with remembering people who don't post regularly!
    Frankly, if they were in my neighbourhood, I'd report them. Pretty sure other here that breaks the five animal needs as outlined in the Animal Welfare Act 2006.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby flyteck » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:02 am

Guys, we probably shouldn't have this talk on the new thread. I'm also against a vegan diet for cats, but this is getting silly. It's probably best to take this to PM; this is just going to get deleted anyways.
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
echjhmhehcghfghfgghhImage

Deviantart [most active]
toyhou.se
Lioden
I'm still on here, but I don't post much.
Feel free to message me if you'd like to
chat! Check my DA for commissions c;

✯ Check out my Webcomic!✯
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me