* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby MapleNeko » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:40 pm

demoiselle; wrote:hi! i really need some bird recommendations!

i used to own a single lovebird (this was a good while back). he was very cute and our family members loved him, but he was pretty nippy and aggressive. he would constantly pull the keys of my keyboard and bite fingers that tried to type. back then, it wasn't that much of a problem, but now my job is heavily centered around typing/computers. i'm constantly at home, but i'm also on the computer for a majority of the time.

requirements;
- will be kept in a pair
- small in size (a GCC is about the largest i'll go)
- unlikely to be cage territorial/nippy/aggressive
- not needy/clingy but more interactive than a finch (doesn't have to accept hands/scritches though)
- content with just sitting on a shoulder for hours

i appreciate every reply, and it would be awesome if people could provide as many recommendations as possible. :D

If you don't want nippy/bitey I wouldn't recommend any parrot, unfortunately, even the nicest birds can use that beak when they want to. I find the smaller the beak the pinchier the bite, i would rather get bitten by my amazon than a conure any day of the week. If your looking for a bird that can be kept in pairs won't bite and *might* sit around with you for awhile, hand raised doves are fantastic pets.

Ringnecks appear to be very friendly loving birds, their not needy but will gladly receive attention. This seems to be for most pidgeons/doves, i, unfortunately, am not very knowledgeable on doves and pigeons but if you do some research into them they may be what you're looking for.
╔════════════════════════════════╗
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutely adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favorite! I'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
Entomology Minor (bugs are life)
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Username: Kif
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 0
How long have you had them?: N/A
What brings you to the bird chat?: I've always been interested in birds, although while I'm still under my mums roof I cannot get one. It would be cool to see everyone else's Birds, stories, advice, etc!

Postby demoiselle; » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:59 pm

MapleNeko wrote:

i used to own a single lovebird (this was a good while back). he was very cute and our family members loved him, but he was pretty nippy and aggressive. he would constantly pull the keys of my keyboard and bite fingers that tried to type. back then, it wasn't that much of a problem, but now my job is heavily centered around typing/computers. i'm constantly at home, but i'm also on the computer for a majority of the time.

requirements;
- will be kept in a pair
- not needy/clingy but more interactive than a finch (doesn't have to accept hands/scritches though)

i appreciate every reply, and it would be awesome if people could provide as many recommendations as possible. :D

If you don't want nippy/bitey I wouldn't recommend any parrot, unfortunately, even the nicest birds can use that beak when they want to. I find the smaller the beak the pinchier the bite, i would rather get bitten by my amazon than a conure any day of the week. If your looking for a bird that can be kept in pairs won't bite and *might* sit around with you for awhile, hand raised doves are fantastic pets.

Ringnecks appear to be very friendly loving birds, their not needy but will gladly receive attention. This seems to be for most pidgeons/doves, i, unfortunately, am not very knowledgeable on doves and pigeons but if you do some research into them they may be what you're looking for.

thanks for the reply! i'll definitely look into doves/pigeons.
i'm fine with bites, just a cage-territorial species known for a constant barrage of little nips and pinches (ex. lovebirds) is not what i'm looking for. i'm just looking for a bird on the calmer, less aggressive end of the spectrum if that makes sense.
i've been looking into bourkes recently. can anyone here with bourke experience see if they meet my list? thanks so much in advance!
demoiselle;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Ooo Ranger has experience with bourkes, if I'm remembering correctly.

Personally I don't have any advice because all my experience lies with Quakers (and I think they'd be a pretty horrible fit) but I wish you the best all the same :>

Also a question- I'm looking to get Zazu a "travel" cage, basically just something small and easy to carry around but also comfortable and safe for him. Anyone have any recommendations?
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:31 pm

demoiselle; wrote:thanks for the reply! i'll definitely look into doves/pigeons.
i'm fine with bites, just a cage-territorial species known for a constant barrage of little nips and pinches (ex. lovebirds) is not what i'm looking for. i'm just looking for a bird on the calmer, less aggressive end of the spectrum if that makes sense.
i've been looking into bourkes recently. can anyone here with bourke experience see if they meet my list? thanks so much in advance!
Pyjaks wrote:Ooo Ranger has experience with bourkes, if I'm remembering correctly.
Yeeah, I have a lil experience? I haven't been able to interact with my girl much, though; I think she's not keen on the budgies /: They're very peaceful birds, though, so I don't imagine they'd bite? I hope you can find something! Although... would budgies work? Mine, at least, fit your list perfectly, apart from the last; I feel like they would just sit, but they'd also like to fly. Also, they're wayyy louder and more talky than bourkes. Like, a lot XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby demoiselle; » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:22 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
demoiselle; wrote:thanks for the reply! i'll definitely look into doves/pigeons.
Pyjaks wrote:Ooo Ranger has experience with bourkes, if I'm remembering correctly.
Yeeah, I have a lil experience? I haven't been able to interact with my girl much, though; I think she's not keen on the budgies /: They're very peaceful birds, though, so I don't imagine they'd bite? I hope you can find something! Although... would budgies work? Mine, at least, fit your list perfectly, apart from the last; I feel like they would just sit, but they'd also like to fly. Also, they're wayyy louder and more talky than bourkes. Like, a lot XD

does your bourke step up/perch on you? and thanks for the suggestion! i’ll definitely consider a flock of budgies!
demoiselle;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Polly44 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:29 am

requirements;
- will be kept in a pair

From working in a pet shop that sold a variety of birds, i would certainly recommend Budgies, Finches or Canaries.
- All can be kept with other birds, though that can impact how friendly they are, as lone animals will look to their human owner for companioniship considerably more, as they have nobody else.
- They are all of a similar small size.
- Of the three Canaries are probably the most likely to be difficult, but even that i would doubt. Though you can get psycopathic Budgies as well, as my friend found out when her hand raised Budgie turned into a little snot. xD
- Budgies are the best in that regard- easy to tame, friendly for the most part....etc. However my friend hand raised a Zebra Finch from a very young age and she is the most adorable little bird i have ever seen. She is very interactive and friendly, loves a good scratch, will sit on your shoulder...etc. Though that is of course considerably due to the hand raising, i would imagine it's possible with older Finches as well.
- As for Canaries i just find them interesting. They are more.....nuts than Budgies and Finches, but also quite chill as well.

I think Budgies would be the best, though to fit the last requirement you'd probably want a rather chill/lazy one, haha.
Polly44

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dumbdolphin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Username: DumbDolphin
How many birds do you own? 1 Cockatiel but I will be getting another one in January
How long have you had them? About a Month now:
What brings you to the bird chat?: Just for some advice for a new bird owner and lover. Also to chat with some other members!
𝔸
𝕟
𝕘
𝕖
𝕝
𝕤

𝕠
𝕗
𝕋
𝕙
𝕖

𝕊
𝕖
𝕒

╔═══════════╗
hello!
⋅.˳˳.⋅ॱ˙˙ॱ⋅.˳˳.⋅ॱ˙˙ॱᐧ.˳˳.⋅
zoology major ‧.°
adult user
╚═══════════╝
Dumbdolphin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:49 pm

demoiselle; wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:
does your bourke step up/perch on you? and thanks for the suggestion! i’ll definitely consider a flock of budgies!
No, she doesn't, actually! Although tbh it's not something I've been actively trying to teach her c: I like to let my birdies get to know me at their pace, and use food in my hands as an encouragement; she prefers to wait, though, and eats from the foodbowl rather than hands. She'll sit near me, she'll chirp answers to my whistling, but she rarely ever lands :p I wonder if maybe she's shy of the budgies? They sometimes get a little territorial over me, oops, lol

Welcome along, new people! C:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:24 pm

This is liteally the worst day of my life unless we find him. This morning my sister accidentally went outside with Peanut on her head without her knowing. She brushed her head and he flew off, and we've been looking for him for hours and hoyrs and hours, but there's no trace of him, I'm so scared. He's never been outside for this long and we have no idea where he might be. We have asked our neighbours but they don't know...
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me