* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby bergamot. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Any thoughts on extruded/pelleted food vs. seed? Apparently pellets are supposed to be much healthier, but it can be hard to get birds started on pellets. I've read many conflicting cases for pellet v seed diets, and a few sources say a pelleted diet isn't the best for budgies, rather it's best to stick with a seed and fresh fruit/veg diet.
Does anyone have any experience/tips for a concerned new bird owner?
Image Image
╔══════════════════╗
xfeminist • hufflepuff • introvert
xxhi there, i'm bergamot, a
xx home-schooled girl in her
xxmid teens who likes to drink
xxxxtea and cuddle dogs. ❤

╚══════════════════╝
ImageImageImage
╔══════════════════╗
xxtradeauctiondressups
╚══════════════════╝
xxxxImage
Image Image
bergamot.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:04 pm

bergamot. wrote:Any thoughts on extruded/pelleted food vs. seed? Apparently pellets are supposed to be much healthier, but it can be hard to get birds started on pellets. I've read many conflicting cases for pellet v seed diets, and a few sources say a pelleted diet isn't the best for budgies, rather it's best to stick with a seed and fresh fruit/veg diet.

I can't speak for budgies, but Zazu (Quaker) has always been on a pelleted diet supplemented with a small amount of seed (and of course fruits/veggies). It's what was recommended to me by my vet and what I've always read is most healthy for the bird. Starting him on a pellet diet was a bit difficult since he'd been strictly seed based before I got him, but what I did was gradually mix more and more pellet into his food until it was at a healthy amount.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bergamot. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Pyjaks wrote:
bergamot. wrote:Any thoughts on extruded/pelleted food vs. seed? Apparently pellets are supposed to be much healthier, but it can be hard to get birds started on pellets. I've read many conflicting cases for pellet v seed diets, and a few sources say a pelleted diet isn't the best for budgies, rather it's best to stick with a seed and fresh fruit/veg diet.

I can't speak for budgies, but Zazu (Quaker) has always been on a pelleted diet supplemented with a small amount of seed (and of course fruits/veggies). It's what was recommended to me by my vet and what I've always read is most healthy for the bird. Starting him on a pellet diet was a bit difficult since he'd been strictly seed based before I got him, but what I did was gradually mix more and more pellet into his food until it was at a healthy amount.

thank you Pyjaks! I'm planning on heading over to the pet store and picking up some pellets tomorrow, I feel like its definately a good idea now!
Image Image
╔══════════════════╗
xfeminist • hufflepuff • introvert
xxhi there, i'm bergamot, a
xx home-schooled girl in her
xxmid teens who likes to drink
xxxxtea and cuddle dogs. ❤

╚══════════════════╝
ImageImageImage
╔══════════════════╗
xxtradeauctiondressups
╚══════════════════╝
xxxxImage
Image Image
bergamot.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Annebird » Mon May 01, 2017 6:10 am

my bird is on a rather icky brand of pellet (zupreem)
for my tiel, getting him to eat more than seed is already really a struggle and i can't imagine how hard it would be to transfer him over to something better, (he's very picky with fresh fruit/veggies as well) do you think it's entirely worth the effort or do you think he's alright? i'm only asking because i've heard from many sources that zupreem is one of the cheapest and worst pellets one could buy. his breeder had him weaned on it, too
Hiss
Annebird

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iaan » Tue May 02, 2017 10:35 am

hey guys, i need some help with my cockatiel
    i dont know what happened exactly but when i visited her around noon i noticed she had an egg stuck to her stomach
    later on when i was trying to remove it she freaked out and flew around a lot. she broke the egg but that was fine, infertile egg and all

im just very concerned with how to take the remaining egg shell off of her. its stuck to her feathers and it's binded to her skin
    i have chipped off a little with my fingers but i dont want to hurt her by ripping her feathers out. also she has a little bald spot on her stomach where its stuck, so if i tore it off it would def rip the skin off

im so desperate, i dont know what to do to help her. any suggestions are welcomed

pics: a b c

i would let her remove it, but she doesn't seem to care about it much. i would rather not leave it on her to let it come off slowly because she walks awkwardly with it. the good news is shes willing to cooperate with me to get it removed

edit: forgot to add, the bald spot on her stomach is where she usually lays on her eggs, so the feathers were just worn out there. she doesn't pluck her own feathers, so i doubt she would care to pluck the egg shell out on her own
iaan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Tue May 02, 2017 11:35 am

dreams; wrote:
    hey guys, i need some help with my cockatiel
    i dont know what happened exactly but when i visited her around noon i noticed she had an egg stuck to her stomach
    later on when i was trying to remove it she freaked out and flew around a lot. she broke the egg but that was fine, infertile egg and all

im just very concerned with how to take the remaining egg shell off of her. its stuck to her feathers and it's binded to her skin
    i have chipped off a little with my fingers but i dont want to hurt her by ripping her feathers out. also she has a little bald spot on her stomach where its stuck, so if i tore it off it would def rip the skin off

im so desperate, i dont know what to do to help her. any suggestions are welcomed

pics: a b c

i would let her remove it, but she doesn't seem to care about it much. i would rather not leave it on her to let it come off slowly because she walks awkwardly with it. the good news is shes willing to cooperate with me to get it removed

edit: forgot to add, the bald spot on her stomach is where she usually lays on her eggs, so the feathers were just worn out there. she doesn't pluck her own feathers, so i doubt she would care to pluck the egg shell out on her own

Sorry you're going through this :( I honestly have no experience with egg laying so I don't have much advice. I don't even know if this would be a severe medical issue or something minor. Can you call your vet sometime soon? They'd probably have the best resources to help you out
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iaan » Tue May 02, 2017 4:45 pm

so happy to say the shell broke off! it left her skin a little sore but didnt break it, so it's really the best scenario that could have happened
iaan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed May 03, 2017 6:56 am

dreams; wrote:
    so happy to say the shell broke off! it left her skin a little sore but didnt break it, so it's really the best scenario that could have happened

That's good to hear :D
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi<3 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Update!: i now have 20+ budgies.. 2-3 generations .. Also hand raised 2 of them <3 i might sell some soon!
╔═══════════════════════╗
Hello! Call me Lexi.
Pronouns are she/her
Feel free to trade me<3
I love birds.-- I'm a parakeet breeder with around 30 of them.
Need help with budgies? Ask me. Ive owned them for 7+ years.
soon to be cockatiel breeder

╚═══════════════════════╝

Lexi<3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed May 03, 2017 8:30 pm