* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Annebird » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:06 am

So i got the lovely opportunity to volunteer at a (undisclosed) local bird shelter yesterday; what a crowd of little feathered charmers (amazing people, too)!
here were my favs -- the gc conure actually got adopted out!

this little guy only has one foot -- and boy was he a little cutie nonetheless! Very skittish, however ): (my personal favorite -- can't wait to visit him again in a couple of weeks

https://i.imgur.com/SBqIq1M.jpg
^ my african grey buddy who has a family visiting him all the time :) crossing our fingers he's adopted soon!

https://image.prntscr.com/image/tW2vIWY ... cOic-g.png
the beautiful green cheeked that was adopted out by a little family yesterday. i took this little bugger out of his cage so the young girl in the family could hold her -- and gosh she was very educated in her bird stuff! She was only 9, too :what:
Hiss
Annebird

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:44 am

^ That's so awesome! They're all beautiful ;_; And that's lovely that the young girl was so educated, awhhh!! Good on her and her parents for doing their research.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:51 am

This Is Jimmy, He loves to sing and dance its very funny to laugh.. He also chases my sisters around the house and likes to jump from shoulder to shoulder of every Body in the family <3

This Little Bb, Is Ollie He is very Playfull <3
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby neptoon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:16 am

Username: Piigeons
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 2 Budgies
How long have you had them?: 1 Year
What brings you to the bird chat?: since i love birds so much i just wanted to be around other people who also love birds as much as i do! :0
neptoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaSocks » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 am

Annebird wrote:So i got the lovely opportunity to volunteer at a (undisclosed) local bird shelter yesterday; what a crowd of little feathered charmers (amazing people, too)!
here were my favs -- the gc conure actually got adopted out!

this little guy only has one foot -- and boy was he a little cutie nonetheless! Very skittish, however ): (my personal favorite -- can't wait to visit him again in a couple of weeks

https://i.imgur.com/SBqIq1M.jpg
^ my african grey buddy who has a family visiting him all the time :) crossing our fingers he's adopted soon!

https://image.prntscr.com/image/tW2vIWY ... cOic-g.png
the beautiful green cheeked that was adopted out by a little family yesterday. i took this little bugger out of his cage so the young girl in the family could hold her -- and gosh she was very educated in her bird stuff! She was only 9, too :what:

awwww that's lovely! I wish there were bird shelters in my country. We don't have any shelters to adopt parrots unless the occasional rehoming parrot pops up on carousel (some shopping app where you buy stuff from other people). I would like to volunteer at the bird park here though. Those birds are absolutely adorable btw!
    xxx
    xxx
    xxx
    xxx

im electric, a romantic cliché
    heather • löded diper fanatic
    im an art student, hoping to do
    something that i like. talk to me
    about film books music anything.
    i listen to a ton of rock and indie
    bands, if you like declan mckenna
    wolf alice nothing but thieves
    lorde the strokes florence + the
    machine we are friends, it is the
    law. uh i wish i had some fish
    discord [#6740] insta spotify
xxxxxx
BananaSocks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 am

bergamot. wrote:Alright, so I've been using newspaper to line my parakeets cage ever since I brought them home a 5 months ago, and it's been working out alright. However, Totoro and Fiji (my little guys) love to scatter food/seed hulls, and when they fly around their cage the debris at the bottom gets blown out and strewn ALL OVER my floor. It's not that big of a problem, but I spend a ton of time sweeping up their messes.
Anyways, I've been looking into getting bird litter for them, but I wasn't sure how safe/functional it actually is. Does anyone have any experiences/tips and tricks they would willing to share?
Thanks

not sure, we always had a cage with some sort of seed guard-catcher pieces around it at the bottom, it catches a lot of seeds and such...
you could try this (amazon):
Tidy Seed No-Mess Bird Feeder

also maybe try wood shavings/bedding/chip for the ground...or rabbit's(horse) straw pellets , Wood pellets for birds or small pets
...but they must be for animals...

but i did read that this is usual for many to small Cages...as there is no much place in the Cage any movement of the bird blows dirt out.... maybe a bigger cage could work.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bergamot. » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Luzien wrote:
bergamot. wrote:Alright, so I've been using newspaper to line my parakeets cage ever since I brought them home a 5 months ago, and it's been working out alright. However, Totoro and Fiji (my little guys) love to scatter food/seed hulls, and when they fly around their cage the debris at the bottom gets blown out and strewn ALL OVER my floor. It's not that big of a problem, but I spend a ton of time sweeping up their messes.
Anyways, I've been looking into getting bird litter for them, but I wasn't sure how safe/functional it actually is. Does anyone have any experiences/tips and tricks they would willing to share?
Thanks

not sure, we always had a cage with some sort of seed guard-catcher pieces around it at the bottom, it catches a lot of seeds and such...
you could try this (amazon):
Tidy Seed No-Mess Bird Feeder

also maybe try wood shavings/bedding/chip for the ground...or rabbit's(horse) straw pellets , Wood pellets for birds or small pets
...but they must be for animals...

but i did read that this is usual for many to small Cages...as there is no much place in the Cage any movement of the bird blows dirt out.... maybe a bigger cage could work.

Thanks you! I'm considering purchasing a seed catcher at the moment. I don't think think cage size is an issue (?) I have a ridiculously huge cage for my two lil guys.
Image Image
╔══════════════════╗
xfeminist • hufflepuff • introvert
xxhi there, i'm bergamot, a
xx home-schooled girl in her
xxmid teens who likes to drink
xxxxtea and cuddle dogs. ❤

╚══════════════════╝
ImageImageImage
╔══════════════════╗
xxtradeauctiondressups
╚══════════════════╝
xxxxImage
Image Image
bergamot.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:47 pm

@ bergamot
that is good :) hope you find one,... not many cages have those on them, i read some dont want them as the cage gets larger with them put on,... and that you can hit your legs on them, and they look not so nice....(ok i really got some blue green leg in the beginning, and my dog did run into it also when she was a puppy^_^...and this metal pieces can really hurt....but they work well...and the look is not so bad...sure they really take some extra space away from a room....but worth it when it stays more clean)
and you do not find many cages where you can put this guard on after, but i hope that you find a way....and when you buy one of those metal seed catcher/guard from an other cage hope that it works on your cage......or try to do a diy project.... :)

good luck^^ hope you tell if you found a way :)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Megaguirus wrote:LOL, those sound like perfectly normal budgie behaviors! Or normal bird behaviors, for that matter. Sounds cute, though. My sister's parakeet would do the same thing during breakfast, just go from bowl to bowl to taste everybody's food, even though we all ate the same breakfast (corn grits, but we called it birdy gravel because the parakeet ate it and it looked similar to the gravel we gave them). Cool that he can speak Japanese along with English, too, I love multilingual birds. :)

Also, just a minor correcting, the stuff he "pukes up" onto your fingers and toes isn't from his stomach, it's from his crop (a pre-stomach). He's just telling you that he loves you, as regurgitation is a sign of affection between birds. I hope he isn't like our conure, who eats back up what he's just regurgitated, since we don't take it, LOL.

I do love parakeets, though, even if they are gregarious and annoying birds.

Oh yeah, that's what it's called! I was being told by my dad the other day but I forgot XD

But I don't think he eats it back up (lol)...that would be strange.

I was just gonna ask a question..
So, do birds (budgies, in particular but I think it's the same either way?) have saliva? Because when he regurgitates a few seeds, there's this really strange slimy stuff that goes from his beak ONTO MY FOOT
Is that because it's mixed with water, or something? Do they have saliva?
My dad thinks that they do, but that it's super concentrated or something. What do you guys think?
-----------------------------------
Also, just popping in...

Okay, and I think I ought to do a little explaining about one of these two images of Peanut ^^;

http://pin.it/qluR5r-

We're teaching Peanut to read!
Okay, well not exactly. But I found this tiny little dictionary that was his size, and he just looked at it like he was reading it. His expresiion is just so in-depth.. XD and I had to share it with you guys~<3
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:10 am

@LeiaWolfe

Aww, that is a very cute little budgie! Hmm, as for the saliva thing, I do think they must have some. I know that after they've ground their beaks as they snuggle up and fall asleep and I give them a kiss, it's wet. But those are cockatiels, my conure doesn't do much beak grinding. However, if it's after regurgitation, it could be water that's left in the crop to help break down the seeds. Crop milk, I think it's called.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me