* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Tabbster » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Personally, I don't recommend the Diamond Dove unless you're looking for a bird similar to a finch. I own and breed them and have had probably well over 50, I hand raise them and spend hours with them handling/socializing. With the exception of a few, most are just naturally flighty and although they enjoy being with people they just aren't interactive. To me it's more of a bird to watch and enjoy on their terms. On the other hand, my ringneck doves will fly out and come back- something my diamonds would never be capable of. If you're looking for a fun, quiet and rewarding pet go with a *female* ringneck dove. The males laugh and coo incessantly but are more laid back. They are hardy and rarely spook, and can be taken anywhere with a harness. I have tried different types of doves and parrots and none quite match up to the ringneck dove, not to mention my flock of 15 would take up probably $10 a month and the birds themselves are about $15 each.
Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:47 am

Tabbster wrote:Personally, I don't recommend the Diamond Dove unless you're looking for a bird similar to a finch. I own and breed them and have had probably well over 50, I hand raise them and spend hours with them handling/socializing. With the exception of a few, most are just naturally flighty and although they enjoy being with people they just aren't interactive. To me it's more of a bird to watch and enjoy on their terms. On the other hand, my ringneck doves will fly out and come back- something my diamonds would never be capable of. If you're looking for a fun, quiet and rewarding pet go with a *female* ringneck dove. The males laugh and coo incessantly but are more laid back. They are hardy and rarely spook, and can be taken anywhere with a harness. I have tried different types of doves and parrots and none quite match up to the ringneck dove, not to mention my flock of 15 would take up probably $10 a month and the birds themselves are about $15 each.

thats interesting, is it normal for female Dove to be more easy to tame?^^
you use a harness? do you use a selfmade or something like those for parrot? :)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby root » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:06 pm

@tabbster
    thank you!!
    i'll definitely keep that in mind. i'm still not sure whether i'll actually be getting one.

i know it's best not to get anything from pet stores, but the one i'm looking at is at petsmart.
x
01001010 JACK 01000001 SHE/IT/HE 01000011 ADULT 01001011
root

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sinensys » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:50 pm

soooo

I've been looking at flight suits tbh since I'll be getting a baby tiel soon
    so it's just a cloth with velcro?? can the velcro become undone by a bird??
    I'd love to get one so I can bring the tiel outside with me [with clipped wings, of course], but it seems easily undone and I really don't want to risk something like that.

what do you lot think?
    █ ██
    █ ██
    █ ██
    █ ██
    █ ██
    █ ██
    █ ██
    >> sina --- she/her --- bi --- uni engineering student --- adult
    >> native russian + english --- learning sakha + ukrainian atm
    >> ukrainian-american --- i'm just here to write tbh ( ru / en )

sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:18 am

@ ovcharka
i do not know them, do you have a pic oft them?
i got a harness for my not clipped grey to fly on a short and Long flight elastic leash in summer. but i still need to train her more for this, it is an aviator harness by the aviator or The Parrot University ^^ you can even go to lesson or group meetings more or less worldwide where you can learn how to use them, to train your bird for them and later let your bird fly with the harness
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tabbster » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 am

Luzien wrote:
Tabbster wrote:Personally, I don't recommend the Diamond Dove unless you're looking for a bird similar to a finch. I own and breed them and have had probably well over 50, I hand raise them and spend hours with them handling/socializing. With the exception of a few, most are just naturally flighty and although they enjoy being with people they just aren't interactive. To me it's more of a bird to watch and enjoy on their terms. On the other hand, my ringneck doves will fly out and come back- something my diamonds would never be capable of. If you're looking for a fun, quiet and rewarding pet go with a *female* ringneck dove. The males laugh and coo incessantly but are more laid back. They are hardy and rarely spook, and can be taken anywhere with a harness. I have tried different types of doves and parrots and none quite match up to the ringneck dove, not to mention my flock of 15 would take up probably $10 a month and the birds themselves are about $15 each.

thats interesting, is it normal for female Dove to be more easy to tame?^^
you use a harness? do you use a selfmade or something like those for parrot? :)

Males are actually the easier ones to tame, however, day or night it's constant cooing with them. They don't let up for even a second. When they are taken out to pet stores/other places I use a harness. Harnesses made for parrots works just fine, although I have made some myself I don't trust them quite as much as the ones you can buy. :lol: If we're near home the birds will fly out and come back, no need for a harness; think of it like an indoor/outdoor cat. They always come back for food and shelter, provided they don't get snagged by a falcon, but the benefits outweigh the risks. It's uncommon but sometimes doves stray off and don't come back. Doves are always kept in check by predators so there's no worry of them pushing other bird species out.

ovcharka; clipping the bird's wings is unhealthy for it, he is safer and better off with full wings. Just a thought.
Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:56 pm

@ Tabbster
that really nice and interesting, imm still not sure who is really more easy to tame with parrot:)
and they always say males dont talk much...^^
great that they fly back home when near it, i never could trust my little monster to do this i think.Could you train them to come for a call of you, or like a normal whistle?

as you let your doves sometimes fly free, did you ever hear about whistle for doves? they should be wood or so,,,
they are put on them, the back i think,or tail feather..not sure, i only did read it somewhere, and when you have more than one flying free and different whistles they are should make interesting sounds^^ they are told to keep away falcon and otheer large birds.. never id see one..
search this items:
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tabbster » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:03 pm

--
Last edited by Tabbster on Mon May 25, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MapleNeko » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Males don't talk much wut? xD if you're referring to parrots I would have to introduce you to my male DYH Amazon who never shuts up lol. Hes got a gigantic vocabulary and lovesss to sing songs, he favourite being "Yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me arg!"
╔════════════════════════════════╗
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutely adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favorite! I'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
Entomology Minor (bugs are life)
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby demoiselle; » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:10 pm

hi! i really need some bird recommendations!

i used to own a single lovebird (this was a good while back). he was very cute and our family members loved him, but he was pretty nippy and aggressive. he would constantly pull the keys of my keyboard and bite fingers that tried to type. back then, it wasn't that much of a problem, but now my job is heavily centered around typing/computers. i'm constantly at home, but i'm also on the computer for a majority of the time.

requirements;
- will be kept in a pair
- small in size (a GCC is about the largest i'll go)
- unlikely to be cage territorial/nippy/aggressive
- not needy/clingy but more interactive than a finch (doesn't have to accept hands/scritches though)
- content with just sitting on a shoulder for hours

i appreciate every reply, and it would be awesome if people could provide as many recommendations as possible. :D
demoiselle;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me