* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: I need opinions!!!

Postby hypersomn.ia » Wed May 24, 2017 7:33 am

~animallover~ wrote:Hey everyone!
So a few weeks ago I had a Blue Jay couple build a nest in my backyard and my family and I were very excited about this! The babies hatched probably about a week ago and something happened recently that has me concerned... The father have stopped coming by the looks of it and the mother is no where to be found. I have looked out there for three days now and I have begun to worry that perhaps the nest has been abandoned. I think this because during this weekend (May 2-4) there has been a lot of fireworks being shot off every night and on top of this the grackles that are common in my neighbourhood have been non-stop aggressive and have been returning near the nest no matter how many times the father has scared them off. I'm worried the nestlings have been alone in the nest for a while without parents and I don't know what to do. Should I check the nest or just leave it? Should I call someone?

I know this is a pet bird forum but I couldn't find any kind of wild bird one and I thought that one of you would know what to do (I've had my own budgie for about a year now and can't imagine if it was him out there all alone). So if anyone knows what I could do that would be great thank you!

If the hatchlings have been alone in the nest for a few days it might be too late to help them. But if you can hear them chirping from the bottom of their tree then their parents should be fine too. If you're still unsure, call your nearest widlife center.
hypersomn.ia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby ~animallover~ » Wed May 24, 2017 7:46 am

@Pyjaks @TheUnicornSorceress
Thank you both! I'll be sure to listen out for any chirping and if not I'll call someone.
Fingers crossed that everything's ok with them!
~animallover~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tabbster » Wed May 24, 2017 2:11 pm

~animallover~ wrote:@Pyjaks @TheUnicornSorceress
Thank you both! I'll be sure to listen out for any chirping and if not I'll call someone.

I would recommend just leaving them there, even if the parents don't return. Not many wildlife rescues would be willing to take in such young birds, and the stress and handling alone would likely be too much for them. Unless they are already fledglings I think it would be time better spent elsewhere. Don't check the nest unless it's low enough to look into; they can be quite fragile and break apart easily. Just listen for calls and chirps, as the parents may be near by watching! They can be a bit sneaky and only land in the nest when they see no one around. I do hope the parents return but if they don't they should probably just be left alone.

----

Separately, at the beginning of the month I got two more Diamond Doves. One peach/white female and one chocolate brown male. The female I believe has already started laying eggs! :) Also got three more Ringneck Doves, one tangerine, one brown, and one dark brown with a purplish belly. They're quite cute.
Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed May 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Tabbster wrote:

I would recommend just leaving them there, even if the parents don't return. Not many wildlife rescues would be willing to take in such young birds, and the stress and handling alone would likely be too much for them. Unless they are already fledglings I think it would be time better spent elsewhere. Don't check the nest unless it's low enough to look into; they can be quite fragile and break apart easily. Just listen for calls and chirps, as the parents may be near by watching! They can be a bit sneaky and only land in the nest when they see no one around. I do hope the parents return but if they don't they should probably just be left alone.

----

Separately, at the beginning of the month I got two more Diamond Doves. One peach/white female and one chocolate brown male. The female I believe has already started laying eggs! :) Also got three more Ringneck Doves, one tangerine, one brown, and one dark brown with a purplish belly. They're quite cute.

Tangerine! That sounds beautiful
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jellycat » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:33 am

my budgies finally took a bath for the first time since i've had them. i used to have to spray them with warm water, but i'm glad they took it upon themselves to get clean without me interfering. that's one worry down- i just need to find out a way to feed them fresh fruits and veggies without them turning up their beaks

Image Image
Image Image Image
jellycat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:18 am

jellycat wrote:my budgies finally took a bath for the first time since i've had them. i used to have to spray them with warm water, but i'm glad they took it upon themselves to get clean without me interfering. that's one worry down- i just need to find out a way to feed them fresh fruits and veggies without them turning up their beaks

Omg I know that struggle. It took my bird MONTHS to start enjoying bathing and do it on his own. Good luck with the fruits and veggies!
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hypersomn.ia » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:54 am

Pyjaks wrote:
jellycat wrote:my budgies finally took a bath for the first time since i've had them. i used to have to spray them with warm water, but i'm glad they took it upon themselves to get clean without me interfering. that's one worry down- i just need to find out a way to feed them fresh fruits and veggies without them turning up their beaks

Omg I know that struggle. It took my bird MONTHS to start enjoying bathing and do it on his own. Good luck with the fruits and veggies!

I have the same trouble. My bird will take baths in the water dish (rarely), but she won't try ANYTHING new. Not food, not toys, nothing. She'll only eat seeds, millet, and honey treats.
hypersomn.ia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:00 am

TheUnicornSorceress wrote:
Pyjaks wrote:

I have the same trouble. My bird will take baths in the water dish (rarely), but she won't try ANYTHING new. Not food, not toys, nothing. She'll only eat seeds, millet, and honey treats.

They can be so stubborn :/
In regards to diet, have you tried "tricking" her? I got zazu to eat fruits by coating them in some seed or another "treat"-like food (for example I'd roll pieces of banana in a little bit of peanut butter and seed). The same thing with his pellet pretty much, I had to mix it into his seed for weeks before he'd eat it alone.
For bathing I just offered him different methods until he finally accepted one. First I tried a spray bottle, then letting him sit on my hands to bathe under the faucet, then just offering him a bowl of water. He's partial to the bowl nowadays but will also occasionally go under the faucet. I find he's more likely to bathe if I play in the water first and act like it's super fun, lol. I'll also sprinkle his feathers with water from my fingers and that seems to get him in the mood for a bathe
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~animallover~ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Tabbster wrote:

----

Thank you for your advise! I did end up leaving them alone since the nest was too high up and I thought that it would be too much of a risk for me and also the hatchlings. Luckily though, I recently spotted the mother again feeding her chicks! I think you are right, the parents seem to be sneaking about when no one is around! I appreciate the help <3

Also I love ringneck doves! They sound beautiful
~animallover~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jellycat » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:30 am

Pyjaks wrote:
TheUnicornSorceress wrote:
Pyjaks wrote:Omg I know that struggle. It took my bird MONTHS to start enjoying bathing and do it on his own. Good luck with the fruits and veggies!

They can be so stubborn :/
In regards to diet, have you tried "tricking" her? I got zazu to eat fruits by coating them in some seed or another "treat"-like food (for example I'd roll pieces of banana in a little bit of peanut butter and seed). The same thing with his pellet pretty much, I had to mix it into his seed for weeks before he'd eat it alone.
For bathing I just offered him different methods until he finally accepted one. First I tried a spray bottle, then letting him sit on my hands to bathe under the faucet, then just offering him a bowl of water. He's partial to the bowl nowadays but will also occasionally go under the faucet. I find he's more likely to bathe if I play in the water first and act like it's super fun, lol. I'll also sprinkle his feathers with water from my fingers and that seems to get him in the mood for a bathe

thats a really good idea! my budgies only eat seed and millet (though i use dr. harvey's "best parakeet food", which is $18 a bag) and i needed some ways to get them to eat other things :p

Image Image
Image Image Image
jellycat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me