mods please close

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: SeaWorld and Marine Mammal Captivity

Postby Crossflare » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:27 am

I do not debate with people who viciously attack me
Last edited by Crossflare on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby laeta » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:31 am

Spartan Inna-973 RvB wrote:Becausr it is true, with all animals differeny facyors csn causr an animal to get old before they should. in lolita's case omo she went blind due to lack of shade in her tank. and among other health issues I try to cover mist most things. but sometimes I miss some stuff.

Then what you're describing can't simply be attributed to aging, can it? If a human dies at 40 due to a an infection from their environment, and their sibling lives until 80, can you really say that human A died of aging?
laeta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:33 am

Last edited by Crossflare on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby laeta » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:37 am

You're completely missing the point of my posts. I'm not here to tell you what to think of Lolita and her condition because I know I'm not an expert on Cetaceans. However, I am here to tell you that your points are being completely derailed by your lack of understanding of particular terms and your egregious editing of your posts to backpedal.
laeta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby carpe noctem. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:42 pm

marking because this is a good discussion. Personally, I believe animal captivity can go either way. I don't feel that having orcas or any whales should be in capativity unless they're suffering from a issue that prevents them from living a full life in the wild/living without help of humans (though they won't live a full life in a tank, that being said). Being honest, I don't like sea world. The message they've recently been spreading is better than it used to be, though it seems that their care for the poor creatures isn't as healthy as it should be. In the last twenty months, four orcas have died. It's insane.

Anyways, I'd like to here others thoughts on the matter and others sides of the story ^^
carpe noctem.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Spartan Inna-973 RvB wrote:Lolita is pretty mich 40+ years she didn't start having health issues until she got older.

Having been going to miami seaquarium since I was little I can confirm that ghey fo provide her with entichment she is not on display 24 /7 to keep her less stressed. also she is not forced to do tricks like sea world but they do keep her active they have too otherwise she could become sedentary. she gets top veterinarian care. I have met the veterinarians for the park they really do care about all the animals, it's just that they happen to have a very old Orca.

what makes me cringr at people who say she is bad condition is when they assume she was always sick. no it's only when she got older did she get sick.
go back to the year where miami sea aquarium first got her she was healthy fast foward to now and it is clear her age is the reason fot her ailments.

as with most animals health declines as you age, Orcas get old just like people do. Miami sea aquarium is primarily a marine mammal rescue they do have any animals on display 24/7 to give their animals a break unlike seaworld which stupidely puts all their animals on display constantly there fore stressing them out. Orcas like privacy seaworld's orcas have no privacy.

but they do provide all their animals with enrichment and veterinary care.

Miami Sea aquarium isn't seaeorld they gavd talked about expsnding the tank but cannot afford to do so. they do have millions or billions of dollars to burn.

just cause there isn't any land ot money to expand lolita's tank thst doesn't mean they don't care about her. and moving her forget it she could die from stress due to her age given her ailments as well.i

lolita's companion died 20+ years ago thry cannot capture orcas from thr wild and miami sea aquarium cannot afford to purchase a companion for their aging 40+ years orca. so that is why she hasn't seen another orca in a long time. but she us looked after don't go spreading lies about Miami Sea aquarium and their staff snd whether or not they give any of their animals enrichment or care.

just cause peta says so that doesn't mean they tell the truth peta is the worst animal rights group on the planet do not listen to or support them. if you support peta you support killing animals. PETA is a hypocritical group that would rather kill animals than help them.

Whoah whoah you support Miami Seaquarium but then turn around and talk badly about SeaWorld? Dude, dude no.

SeaWorld's orcas are not 24/7 on display because the park isn't open 24/7. Even when the park is open animals aren't always on display. They're constantly switched between places on display and places not on display.

You want people not to spread lies about Miami Seaquarium but you spread lies about SeaWorld. Don't be a hypocrite.
name's alec. legally an adult and thus paying bills. they/them or he/him pronouns have my preference.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:02 pm

i'm sorry, but female orcas do not grow old at 40. there are several wild female killer whales living prosperously in the ocean who are well into their 70s and 80s. the reason for lolita's ailments is that she is treated poorly just like all captive orca because they are not meant to be in captivity. this especially goes for miami sea aquarium, where her tank isn't even deep enough to accommodate her length, and nowhere does it offer any shade from the summer sun, resulting in cracked and bleeding skin. please don't assume they are treating her well because you go to visit often and are told by the aquarium owners/vets that she is healthy (it is their job to promote the alleged wellbeing of their animals, not a single employee there is going to tell you that lolita is suffering because they could lose their job).

edit: ehheuguh,,, i didn't see your edit to your post until after posting this but my point still stands

Orcas, females, do grow old at 40 years of age. The Southern Residents just lot a 40+ year old female, that's old.
SRKW (from 2017 catalogue on the Whale Museum’s website, males and females and calves calculated in. one just died so there's 77 left)
1/78 = 80+
10/78 = 40+
8/78 = 30+
18/78 = 20+
20/78 = 10+
21/78 = >10.

The oldest orca the SRKW have is Ocean Sun, presumedly over 80 years old. The next oldest orca is somewhere in their 40s. And there are only 10 of them.

NRKW: (2010 catalogue. All NRKW have been calculated in, including females, males and calves.)
1/263 = 70+
4/263 = 60+
7/263 = 50+
8/263 = 40+
31/263 = 30+
48/263 = 20+
53/263 = 10+
111/263 = >10.

So yeah, 40 and above is pretty damn old for orcas, also for females.
name's alec. legally an adult and thus paying bills. they/them or he/him pronouns have my preference.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:07 am

Last edited by Crossflare on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:12 am

Spartan Inna-973 RvB wrote:You better back off right now Cause you are now turning into everyone else int his thread Newt I thought you were decent but you are now attacking me as well.

I didn't viciously attack you, I simply stated the facts. That you lie about SW but then go ahead praising Miami Seaquarium into heavens is just a no.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:13 am

Leave me alone please
Last edited by Crossflare on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me