Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Postby Cardinal » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:06 am

Welcome c:

It's been bothering me a bit that there are so many topics on different animals, even the "rarer" types of pets, such as sugargliders, yet there wasn't a topic where fellow dog lovers and owners could gather and chat about their fluffy buddies. c: But in case there's a reason there isn't one, feel free to get a moderator to lock it.

Here, you can talk about, well, dogs. Maybe you don't own a dog, but just want to talk to others about dogs? Maybe you want some behavioral tips? Product recommendations? Advice on getting a new dog? Talk about all of these things and more here.

Rules

1.) Please keep all discussion mature. Lunging at people and debating with a "my opinion is right yours is wrong" attitude is not mature. Being blunt? Yes, allowed. Being concerned? Yes, allowed. But being rude or insulting someone will not be tolerated.

2.) Please avoid spamming. You are welcome to talk about 'all things dog' here. Food, leashes, behavior, training methods, dog breeds, trainers, and dogs themselves. Off-topic posts such as: "hey [usernamehere], can you get on our roleplay?" "who's the person in your signature?" "do you have a cat?" etc., count as spam.

3.) Try to "keep your emotions under control". Don't start freaking out because someone disagrees with something you're doing with your dog. As said in rule one, keep all discussion mature...

Form

No need to fill this out, it's just something that can raise a discussion subject. There isn't a members list or anything, everyone is welcome to come and go as they like. ^^

Do you own a dog?:
Favorite dog breed?:
Tell us about your dog(s), if you have any!:
Pictures of your dog(s):
Feel free to add whatever else you'd like here, this would be a great opportunity to bold a problem if you're having a problem or any information you think is worth sharing. :)

Credit for the great intro goes to Onew who owned the very first Dog Owners Chat. :)

Now for my own quick thing because I'm a tyrant.

Even if you do not own a dog its totally okay to post here for advice and anything dog. The only thing we can't give you is medical advice per the rules put in place by Chicken Smoothie. Posting fake dogs is not allowed her, if you steal images and claim them as your own people will more than likely find you out, seriously. Don't steal photos, thats just uncool. Love dogs but don't have one? Don't fake having one! You're still welcome to chat about your love of dogs.

I'd like to try to keep a log of who owns whos so I would like to try to make a list. If you do not want your dog and username/basic information on the front page please let me know and it will be removed. If you have questions it'd be great if you can give us clear and concise information as to whats going on so we can better help you!

Please remember that CS is a pq10 (? lol) website, photos you're iffy about posting please provide the link with a warning if it doesn't outright break site rules and you're unsure (such photos as 'graphic' raw feeding) With images please be aware that some people may have slower computers and not to quote huge photo dumps or huge photos.

I'm always open to suggestions on how to make this more fun and exciting! Any ideas on how to improve this thread please let me know!

Thanks guys!

I think a memorial post could be a great idea. :) The pets name, breed, age, birth date/month- the date month they passed and any information you'd like to share. Links to favorite pictures as well.
Last edited by Cardinal on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v3

Postby Cardinal » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:28 am

Dogs and their people!

Saracirce. Boxer lover! Also seems to think I am a meanie poopoohead.

Iamlink Owns Okami a Shiba Inu. Do you want to build a snowman?

.Middy. Chewy the Australian Shepherd and Princess who is a English Bulldog x pug mix (who'd have guessed? <3 ).

Elle Bear Owned by Izzy the mostly fit boxer x lab mix.

Imzadi83 and Chloe the hairless Chinese Crested!

Bluebird22 Sophie the Pomeranian mix that has mad bandana skills.

4dogowner with Eva the longhaired German Shepherd Dog, Deebee the terrier-poodle mix, Spike the Belgian Malinois, and Biscuit the Akita/Husky mix

Blaze;the pooches: Kodiak (yak) the staghound/scottish deerhound mix, Sammy the staghound/scottish deerhound mix, Su the pit/lab and Zoey the boxer

Camillion owned by a rescue terrier terror named Honey Bee and two Cane Corsos Lucy and Zane

luminescent. with Chew-... I mean Kora the Australian Shepherd. ;)

Joe Kerr being run into the ground by Lola a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, Barnabas the American Staffordshire Terrier Mix and sometimes Penny Jane a bull breed mix.

.snowy three female Chihuahuas; Coco, Lila, and Allison.

Dakonic the fun never stops with Dakota a German Shepherd Dog x Labrador Retriever, Alice the APBT mix, and baby Natsu the GSD.

I Am Baymax slowly going deaf thanks to Charlie the Chesapeake Scream Retriever. Lucy the Great Dane is the good dog.

~Serenade~owned and helped by Bellatrix the Pug- Shih Zsu mix. Cutest face.

Tawk Otje the Golden Retriever. Hopefully the thread doesn't smell to bad.

Ryuji Blaise who is a blue Standard Poodle. I always forget the come in blue.

Jaz Creed the ultra naughty mud-butt Doberman Pincher. Also lives with Mocha a chow mix and Frankie a schnauzer mix.

Snail With a Top Hat Lyra the Border Collie x Irish Setter mix, and yes she's at a good weight.

If you want any information added, taken away, or changed let me know and it will be done! This is super basic to keep track of dogs vs owners so you're more than welcome to have me expand! :)
Last edited by Cardinal on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Honey, it's in the stars
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v3

Postby Cardinal » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:28 am

reserve
Honey, it's in the stars
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Postby Saracirce » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:40 am

EDIT because Cardinal is a meanie poopoo head:
Do you own a dog?: No
Favorite dog breed?: Boxer

Imzadi83 wrote:
Saracirce wrote:I just don't see begging as being a huge deal. It's a minor irritant at best. (Again, begging and stealing food/counter surfing are different) If the owners are okay with it, and only if they are okay with it, fine.

I guess it's what you compare it to and how out of control it is. Begging might be cute to the family but what happens one day when your relatives come over for Thanksgiving dinner and the dog is begging at the table the entire time. You can ignore it then but if you've given in in the past you can get an extinction burst and it could start barking, trying to jump on the table, etc. Not a good impression on your guests.

It is the owners choice what they allow of course but many people are not aware of how intimidating a begging dog, especially a large one, can be to someone who isn't used to it. So a begging dog may be fine for the owner/family but may impact their social life. Even taking your dog out places where there is food might be problematic. A dog looking up with cute puppy eyes begging for food is cute, but a dog at the table next to you in a restaurant barking at the top of their lungs...not so much.

Well, you know how Loli was about people. She was almost always put away if we had guests over. That's something I plan to continue doing even if I have 'friendly' dogs, especially when food is in the picture. In my experience, guests that don't mind begging and rewarded begging often gave dangerous things, especially those people who don't actually have dogs of their own. So, for me, it's really not an issue.

Also, I consider barking for food a rude thing and not allowed. Dogs are allowed to stare, drool, touch me but they're not allowed to be vocal. Being vocal gets them sent away from the table.

Though when I'm over at somebody else's house, I don't really judge them for what their dogs do unless it's a dangerous thing and the owner just lets it slide. They're dogs. Sometimes they have off days, sometimes they act out for no apparent reason, sometimes they're just upset about a sudden schedule change.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby IAmLink » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:46 am

Shiba Inu; Okami Amaterasu

*Sigh* hopefully one of these days I'll have another Shiba to add e_e'
As it is, still have several months to go at least >_>;
"But Link, when all of this is over...will you come wake me up?"

ImageImageImageImageImage
IAmLink

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:54 am

Any ideas for more in the yard/house exercise for Chew? Walking him is just so hard! I nearly always end up with a bruise of some sort. My mom doesn't like me walking him anymore because of how he acts. It will be so much easier once we get moved and I can let him run on the acerage. (Provided the fences are secure and the other animals are put up. We will also work on herding the goats.

We have been playing a lot of indoor fetch, since he generally only goes out without a leash in the morning and night time. (Other animals are loose during the day, so the dogs go out on leashes when they have to potty)

Here's a older picture of the monster. Ill have some new ones soon!
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlynnEugene » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:58 am

So my boxer Izzy has had a cough the past couple of days and currently we are thinking it is allergies. So we gave her a little bit of benadryl to see if the cough goes away. Although our Shih-Tzu is acting extremely weird around her, he is scared of her and he never is. Whenever he is around her he puts his tail between his legs and runs off. So I am not sure if maybe he senses something else is wrong with her... It is worrying me though. I called my vet and found out there is a cough going around in dogs so I am taking her to the vet tomorrow to make sure everything is okay. She is really healthy but I don't know our shih-tzu is acting WEIRD. So we are going to keep an eye on him.

Here are some pictures of her:

ℂ𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘

𝔸𝕞𝕓𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤

ℝ𝕖𝕤𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤

𝕊𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕕

𝔻𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕕

"𝒲𝑒 𝒮𝓁𝓎𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝓈 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒷𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒, 𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓈𝓉𝓊𝓅𝒾𝒹. 𝐹𝑜𝓇 𝒾𝓃𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒, 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝒾𝒸𝑒, 𝓌𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝑜𝓈𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓃𝑒𝒸𝓀𝓈."
FlynnEugene

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:13 pm

Middy: Theres soem suggestions on the last thread for a three legged dog that would work great for chewy as well. Training, puzzle games, and the like are amazing for dogs but sometimes they need that extra umf of blowing off physical steam. Flirt poles are easy to make and if you have a tree somewhere (or doors work as well!) you can throw a rope with a bungy cord tied to it and a toy/hide tied to the bungy cord and hoist it a few feet off the ground. Use as a tug and try varying heights, keep those back feet on the ground as much as possible, really good core excersize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjpQ8SDxof0 Spring pole in action. xD

Also exersize balls are great to balance on and blow energy that way.

@Elle Bear: Could really be anything, hope your vet finds out the problem! Hopefully its something simple like an allergy and not something worse. :) Let us know.
Honey, it's in the stars
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby goneleft » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:16 pm

mark
ill make a form soon
goneleft

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:20 pm

Good idea Cardinal! I will try some of those! As for the spring pole, we dont have a tree! Just a super tall palm tree lol. We do have a huge open doorway between the living room and the dining room. Think I could rig something to that?

Fetch is also now a indoor only game. He doesnt have enough drive to focus on it outside with other dogs barking. Only the flirt pole has managed to keep his attention outside so far.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me