Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby fluffycat6 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:18 pm

Ok, so I originally had two angelfish. One of them unfortunately died, so I got another one to be a companion for the old one. The older angel was never really the same after the first one died, and he started hiding more. The new angelfish really liked him, and followed him everywhere, but he didn’t like him and chased him away sometimes. Then one day the other old angelfish died. That was around.. 2 months ago I think? The new angel is now doing really well, better than the other two ever did. But what I’m wondering, is should I get another angelfish? He stares at his reflection a lot, and when I had two they followed each other everywhere, so I can’t help but feel like he’s lonely.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:50 pm

fluffycat6 wrote:Ok, so I originally had two angelfish. One of them unfortunately died, so I got another one to be a companion for the old one. The older angel was never really the same after the first one died, and he started hiding more. The new angelfish really liked him, and followed him everywhere, but he didn’t like him and chased him away sometimes. Then one day the other old angelfish died. That was around.. 2 months ago I think? The new angel is now doing really well, better than the other two ever did. But what I’m wondering, is should I get another angelfish? He stares at his reflection a lot, and when I had two they followed each other everywhere, so I can’t help but feel like he’s lonely.

I kept Angelfish for a couple years, and I would say that though angelfish CAN live by themselves, they do prefer angelfish companions. It's honestly adorable to see angelfish buddies swimming around the tank together. They will be more mentally happy if they do have a companion ^^
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby adelphi prime. » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:59 am

Hello! Long time, no see. I'm having trouble with one of my favorite goldfish. Overnight a spot of red developed on her chest. She is in a 29 gallon with one other telescope goldfish with a filter and bubbler, and only she is showing the red spot. Even then, she is not showing any other symptoms. I will be getting a water test tonight, since I don't have time until then to do one. In the meantime, any brainstorming of what could be wrong would be helpful!

An image of this spot is here. Keep in mind I only handled her for a few seconds and only did so after trying for about 10 minutes to take pictures of it while she was swimming naturally.
↠ EDS ᎳᎪᏒᏒᎥᎾᏒ ↞
adelphi prime.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 am

The Enchantress wrote:
fluffycat6 wrote:Ok, so I originally had two angelfish. One of them unfortunately died, so I got another one to be a companion for the old one. The older angel was never really the same after the first one died, and he started hiding more. The new angelfish really liked him, and followed him everywhere, but he didn’t like him and chased him away sometimes. Then one day the other old angelfish died. That was around.. 2 months ago I think? The new angel is now doing really well, better than the other two ever did. But what I’m wondering, is should I get another angelfish? He stares at his reflection a lot, and when I had two they followed each other everywhere, so I can’t help but feel like he’s lonely.

I kept Angelfish for a couple years, and I would say that though angelfish CAN live by themselves, they do prefer angelfish companions. It's honestly adorable to see angelfish buddies swimming around the tank together. They will be more mentally happy if they do have a companion ^^

Thanks ^^ I think i'll get him a friend then
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:53 am

Just found a super pretty golden gourami. Picture isnt great because the lights are off and shes was stressed from being added.
Excited to see her when shes full grown!

adelphi prime. wrote:
    Hello! Long time, no see. I'm having trouble with one of my favorite goldfish. Overnight a spot of red developed on her chest. She is in a 29 gallon with one other telescope goldfish with a filter and bubbler, and only she is showing the red spot. Even then, she is not showing any other symptoms. I will be getting a water test tonight, since I don't have time until then to do one. In the meantime, any brainstorming of what could be wrong would be helpful!

An image of this spot is here. Keep in mind I only handled her for a few seconds and only did so after trying for about 10 minutes to take pictures of it while she was swimming naturally.

Im no expert, but I know that fish can have similar issues from ammonia burns. What are your water parameters? Thats always a good first clue :P
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby adelphi prime. » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 am

Crum wrote:Just found a super pretty golden gourami. Picture isnt great because the lights are off and shes was stressed from being added.
Excited to see her when shes full grown!

-snip-

Im no expert, but I know that fish can have similar issues from ammonia burns. What are your water parameters? Thats always a good first clue :P

First off, your gourami is so cute! Second off, I've actually had goldfish with ammonia burns before, rescued from an ad off craigslist. 10 goldfish in a 29 gallon tank is a sad, sad sight to see, let me tell you. Unfortunately I don't believe this is an ammonia burn, as they are usually black and not red.

I'll have the water perimeters in a bit! I don't have a test kit on hand at the moment, so I'm popping into my LFS in about an hour. reallygottagetmyowntestkit... might pick up one there while I'm at it.
↠ EDS ᎳᎪᏒᏒᎥᎾᏒ ↞
adelphi prime.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Checkinder » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Username: Checkinder
How many fish tanks do you have: Currently four! Two six gallons and 2 ten gallons
Types of fish that you have: Currently I own three Betta fish, a goldfish (currently in a ten gallon, working on locating the proper size tank), and four balloon mollies.
Your fishs' names: A black orchid crowntail Betta named Lucifer, a female Betta of unknown species known as Persephone or Phoenix, a Double Tail Half Moon Plakat named Faygo, a Goldfish named Winter, and four unnamed mollies.
How long have you had fish: I've had Bettas for about a year now. My first one, Finly, passed away due to water issues that went unnoticed. Two snails passed away in his tank and I sadly didn't notice the second in time to save him. Ever since I've been a lot more vigilant with my snails and fish.
I took in two bettas when my sister left them behind as well, it was a male and a female. She had been keeping them together without my realizing and the girl suffered wounds from him that I couldn't help. She passed away very soon after I took them into my care. The male passed away from unknown reasons about two months after she did.

I really hate for my first post here to be asking for help, but I've really exhausted most other options.
My sister as mentioned above does not at all have the best track record with her Bettas. She doesn't listen to anything I tell her she needs to do with them.
She's currently got a female Koi betta in her ownership. This poor fish hasn't had a single water change in the about three months that my sister has owner her. Much to my dismay upon visiting today, I've noticed Crook has begun to lose color. I'm trying to convince my sister to care for her better, but she insists that Crook doesn't NEED a bigger tank since she doesn't swim around much as in (red flag, plus Crook is only in a 2.5 tank with no heater AND no filter), plus admits to constantly forgetting to feed her.
She refuses to hand ownership over to me with Captain Crook. While I'm here, I'm gonna at least do a water change but I fear the worst for Crook.
Does anyone have anything at all that might convince a stubborn fishkeeper to improve their treatment or at least give the fish over to a more experience owner? I don't wish for Crook to die like this, she's a BEAUTIFUL lady. She deserves better.
Check - He/They/It

If you need to contact me quickly, my Discord is
Checkinder#6566
Trading all my pets for C$ and all Store Pets for
character art. DM me if you'd like to offer art/etc
for the Store Pets.
My Kalons

Art by friend on Discord
Checkinder

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:29 pm

Checkinder wrote:
I really hate for my first post here to be asking for help, but I've really exhausted most other options.
My sister as mentioned above does not at all have the best track record with her Bettas. She doesn't listen to anything I tell her she needs to do with them.
She's currently got a female Koi betta in her ownership. This poor fish hasn't had a single water change in the about three months that my sister has owner her. Much to my dismay upon visiting today, I've noticed Crook has begun to lose color. I'm trying to convince my sister to care for her better, but she insists that Crook doesn't NEED a bigger tank since she doesn't swim around much as in (red flag, plus Crook is only in a 2.5 tank with no heater AND no filter), plus admits to constantly forgetting to feed her.
She refuses to hand ownership over to me with Captain Crook. While I'm here, I'm gonna at least do a water change but I fear the worst for Crook.
Does anyone have anything at all that might convince a stubborn fishkeeper to improve their treatment or at least give the fish over to a more experience owner? I don't wish for Crook to die like this, she's a BEAUTIFUL lady. She deserves better.[/center]

Buy/give her a heater and a filter, ideally with a bit of your filter media in it so the tank's cycled, and let her see how different the fish will act? Show her videos of well looked after bettas on youtube so she can see that the behaviour of hers is not normal.
Can you show her how well your bettas are doing in a proper setup? Find some credible websites or books that explain how to properly look after fish? Test her water and show/explain the results. Do the same with your water.
Unfortunately if she refuses to listen and insists on abusing her animal there isn't much you can do :c If she doesn't see the fish as a living thing that deserves proper care you're going to struggle. Ask her if she'd be ok with forgetting to feed and care for a puppy.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trphlthdl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:47 am

Username: Trixyr
How many fish tanks do you have:
2.5 Gallon
1 betta
1 dwarf sagittaria subulata

notes: will be upgrading her to a 5.5 sometime in the next 2-3 months

10 Gallon
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Assassin Snail
?? Bladder Snails
3 White Cloud Mountain Minnows

Note: We will be getting more as soon as we know what killed the first two and how/if we get rid of it.
2 creeping charlie
1 red wendtii

Types of fish that you have: above
Your fishs' names:
Betta - Iris
Gourami - Perceval
Assassin Snail - Waldo
Mountain Minnows (all) - Bruce

How long have you had fish: 6-7 years I think? Not gonna do the math.

I'm also planning a 20 long with a pair of Betta Albimarginata
x
xxxxxxx
🌿🌿🌿
trp | they/them | avatar
feel free to pm or send a trade at any time, although i'm not typically super active
i'm most interested in c$, mushroom or flower themed pets & items, as well as trading
for recreated pets! I've also recently started dnd, and am usually looking for art.
🌿🌿🌿
Trphlthdl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Checkinder » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:01 am

@Lonin
I REALLY appreciate the advice. I told her I'd help her a bit with her fish care, so hopefully she'll start taking better care of poor Crook. If not, I have a ten gallon that's free in the garage that I can set up for her and take the Betta in.
I should be coming by her place a bit more as a deal for her helping me buy a 29 gal for my goldfish (I love Black Friday deals honestly) so I'll be keeping a close eye on her, and at least be able to do water changes for her if needed.

BUT as mentioned above I managed to snag a 29 gallon set up (heater, filter, like everything included) for a very nice price. It was at Petco, since I'd been looking around the stores for a decent deal on one. So finally my poor Winter will have the proper tank size. I feel bad for keeping him in a littler tank for so long but just no cheap tanks popped up. He's been a healthy lad and I'm sure he'll LOVE the upgrade.
Check - He/They/It

If you need to contact me quickly, my Discord is
Checkinder#6566
Trading all my pets for C$ and all Store Pets for
character art. DM me if you'd like to offer art/etc
for the Store Pets.
My Kalons

Art by friend on Discord
Checkinder

My pets
My items
My wishlist