Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Kat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 am

Still a work in progress, but here is Drogon's new aquarium so far. I need to setup his heater and I'd love to add some live plants soon, as well. I hope that he will like it. He's such a pretty boy.

Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:06 pm

valiant. wrote:
fluffycat6 wrote:I just got a 9 gallon fluval flex and I'm unsure what to put in it. It's going to have red cherry shrimp but I'm looking for a fish to go with them, I really like chilli rasboras and galaxy rasboras but I don't know if it's long enough for them. It measures 14x13x13 inches. Thanks for any ideas!

Rasboras are a schooling fish and will need at least a 20 gallon for them to be comfortable! You could house a green pea puffer in a 9 gallon as 5 gallons are the minimum size recommended for them. However, they're a bit challenging to feed because they need live snails weekly and are hard to introduce frozen foods to. They're very rewarding to own and have a lot of personality if that's what you're looking for!

Yeah I like pea puffers, but they'd eat all my shrimp lol. They have so much personality though, I'd love to have one someday. The reason I'm thinking chilli rasboras is because they are so small (half an inch or so full grown) they are often reccomended for small tanks, even ones as small as 5 gallons.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 pm

fluffycat6 wrote:I just got a 9 gallon fluval flex and I'm unsure what to put in it. It's going to have red cherry shrimp but I'm looking for a fish to go with them, I really like chilli rasboras and galaxy rasboras but I don't know if it's long enough for them. It measures 14x13x13 inches. Thanks for any ideas!

Chilis should be okay size vise, they are very tiny fish after all. I do know of a case with chilis where the tank was around 9 gal I think(under 10 anyway) and size vise all was well, but the males for some reason got quite territorial and the tank ended up too small for their egos... But then there are other similar sized set ups that funtion just fine. Of course like with any other small tank you may need to pay extra attention to the cleaning and maintaining the water good for the fish. Many times the smaller fish are also sensitive to water quality changes.
Galexies are super pretty, but slightly bigger than chilis so I think 9 gal might be tad too small for them, especially as they are schooling fish as well, so numbers are prefered.
Average size rasboras usually have min tank recommendations starting from 10(11)-15gal where I'm from. But for chilis and other such tiny size, I think they are usually start from 6-8gal depending little on the source, though some say 10 is minimum for them as well... Of course bigger is always better, but for such tiny fish I really don't see a problem with non-over stocked and properly taken care 9 gal.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rubixilam » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:29 am

Small question about one of my kiddos. He's maybe 3 years old by now (little blind rescue with odd mobility troubles since day 1), and he doesn't like to do much other than sleep or eat. He responds to me if I get his attention or open the lid, and he eats fine. He's just not movin' around much. Weekly water changes, 80 degree water, lots of plants/shrimp/snails for entertainment. Think he's just getting old and lazy? I don't see any physical problems, no parasites, nothing fungal, etc, and all the other tank mates are fine (the shrimp and snails).
██ rubi │

AWOOOOGA
rubixilam

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:31 am

Hime wrote:

Chilis should be okay size vise, they are very tiny fish after all. I do know of a case with chilis where the tank was around 9 gal I think(under 10 anyway) and size vise all was well, but the males for some reason got quite territorial and the tank ended up too small for their egos... But then there are other similar sized set ups that funtion just fine. Of course like with any other small tank you may need to pay extra attention to the cleaning and maintaining the water good for the fish. Many times the smaller fish are also sensitive to water quality changes.
Galexies are super pretty, but slightly bigger than chilis so I think 9 gal might be tad too small for them, especially as they are schooling fish as well, so numbers are prefered.
Average size rasboras usually have min tank recommendations starting from 10(11)-15gal where I'm from. But for chilis and other such tiny size, I think they are usually start from 6-8gal depending little on the source, though some say 10 is minimum for them as well... Of course bigger is always better, but for such tiny fish I really don't see a problem with non-over stocked and properly taken care 9 gal.

Ahh thanks. I think I'm going to go with the chillis, I wouldn't want to put the galaxies in something too small for them.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:17 am

Went to buy some brine shrimp and came home with this little guy. Oops.

Does it look like he has fin rot? The water that he was in was pretty bad... I tested the water in his bag when I brought him home and the ammonia was really high. He's in warn clean water now. Is there anything else I should do?

Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:34 pm

how long do you guys think a single baby (1-2 inch) blood parrot cichlid could be in a 20g high tank? I really want one now, but cant upgrade my tank for like 6 months or so :\
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby A_Suspicious_Lamp » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:22 am

Crum wrote:how long do you guys think a single baby (1-2 inch) blood parrot cichlid could be in a 20g high tank? I really want one now, but cant upgrade my tank for like 6 months or so :\

From what I've heard parrot cichlids are very dirty fish they're boiload is enormous but I haven't owned one so I can't confirm from personal experience, when it comes to fish I'd say if you don't own it yet it's best to wait until you can get what will fit it for it's entire life and then get the animal just because it makes it easier for everyone involved, BUT tank cycling can take a while so if your 20 gallon is already cycled and prepared and you really can't help yourself I'd say a 20 gallon with really good filtration and frequent enough water changes would be adequate (although just barely) for a baby parrotfish but again I'd really recommend getting the 55 gallon set up for this fish and having it prepared and done and then getting the fish so it's easier and less stressful for everyone PLUS if anything goes wrong and for some reason your struggling to find her tank for this fish when it needs it unfortunately it's the fish that has to suffer through the less than adequate conditions until you can get that tank, you also run the risk of stunting this fish if it's in a tank too small for too long, I know it's hard to wait but I really think it's best!
A_Suspicious_Lamp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:44 am

My 20 has been running for a year now on a 50 gallon filter. Its well cycled :P I want to remove (most) of the fish that are currently in it (mollies and platys). Considering one of the fish I would be removing is an 8 inch pleco, and I have never had any fish deaths for anything other than old age and other circumstances which were not due to my tank (sick from store etc), i know that it can take the bio load of much more than one 2 or 4 inch parrot
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby A_Suspicious_Lamp » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:39 am

Crum wrote:My 20 has been running for a year now on a 50 gallon filter. Its well cycled :P I want to remove (most) of the fish that are currently in it (mollies and platys). Considering one of the fish I would be removing is an 8 inch pleco, and I have never had any fish deaths for anything other than old age and other circumstances which were not due to my tank (sick from store etc), i know that it can take the bio load of much more than one 2 or 4 inch parrot

You sound prepared for the work and such so go for it! I think a twenty gallon will be fine as a grow out tank in this case :thumbup: parrot fish are super pretty!

On a side note I have a 20 gallon long tank right now that's cycled and now it just has to be stocked I'm thinking ten harlequin rasbora's and ten neon tetras? I also have a ten gallon that I cycled and I'm wondering how to stock that one as well I was thinking five White cloud minnows and five of another fish but I don't want to overstock and I'm aware 10 gallons are very small any fish suggestions for it would be great! I'm aiming for a nano tank as some call it but I am afraid of overstocking it, I know I would like one or two shrimp on the bottom as well.
A_Suspicious_Lamp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me