Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Mommyof3 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:29 am

So lately I have fell in love with the idea of breeding plecos. I have done some research but still have a lot of question. I currently don't have any and probably wont for a while (maybe, I don't know yet) I want to set up the aquarium first. I am think I can get a 40-45 gallon aquarium (unless I can find a bigger one for cheap lol)
So what plants would go good with plecos? What type of gravel should I get? Since this is going to be my first time trying to breed them which species should I start with? I was think bushy/bristlenose. I checked my ph from my faucet and its at 7.6 and my high range ph is 7.4. I know I will need breeding caves but one website I read said don't add them until they are mature or it could be bad. Is that true? I have a piece of driftwood already in my aquarium. (right now I have a 29 gallon) Which ones can I keep in there until I can get a bigger gallon size in like 6 months? What type of food should I feed them? Someone said depending on which pleco Rapashy was a good food for them. What would be good tank mates for them? At first I just wanted them in a tank by themselves but everywhere I read said they would do better with other fish in the tank. Besides plants and caves and driftwood should I have any other decorations in my tank? I know if I get them young enough it might be a while before they are old enough to breed and that's fine with me. Also I have 2 sponge filters in my tank right now, some stuff I have read said the like currents. So I guess my question is that enough aeration/current or should I add more. I do not really like hang on back filters, I can get one but really don't want to if I don't have to.

I think I have enough questions for now. If anyone wants to send me a message instead of replying on here I would appreciate it. I will try to watch the thread but it would be easier to see a message than trying to figure out if anyone answered my questions. Any help would be appreciated.
Mommyof3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blueberry » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Ugh, who knew being a fish owner would be so difficult?!?

So a couple weeks ago I bought a 10 gallon tank as well as the following aquatic pets: 3 small koi, a goldfish, 2 bottom feeders, 2 African dwarf frogs, and a commet fish. All things considered, there's a lot of space, they get fed frequently and have a nice filter to keep the tank clean. However, apparently, someone got hungry (I think) and decided to bite Henry, one of my bottom feeders and now there's a small patch of skin missing. He's fine but I'm really upset. Additionally, I noticed that their fins have been laying flat on their body and learned this is a sign of high ammonia content in the water. I bought an ammonia neuterlizer and will put it in soon but I'm still super worried.

I know its crazy but I love them so much and would be very distressed if one of them died T.T
Blueberry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:38 pm

W I N T E R. wrote:Ugh, who knew being a fish owner would be so difficult?!?

So a couple weeks ago I bought a 10 gallon tank as well as the following aquatic pets: 3 small koi, a goldfish, 2 bottom feeders, 2 African dwarf frogs, and a commet fish. All things considered, there's a lot of space, they get fed frequently and have a nice filter to keep the tank clean. However, apparently, someone got hungry (I think) and decided to bite Henry, one of my bottom feeders and now there's a small patch of skin missing. He's fine but I'm really upset. Additionally, I noticed that their fins have been laying flat on their body and learned this is a sign of high ammonia content in the water. I bought an ammonia neuterlizer and will put it in soon but I'm still super worried.

I know its crazy but I love them so much and would be very distressed if one of them died T.T

:c Sorry to tell you but that's extremely overstocked. Koi are pond fish and get massive. Easily over a foot long. You can't keep them in a 10 gallon. Same for the goldfish depending on the type. Comets are also pond fish. The bottom feeders might not be suitable depending on what they are. 10 gallons is too small for any pleco, some small types of cory would be fine but you'd need more than 2 and sand.
ADFs are fine in 10 gallons if kept with gentle tank mates but do best on their own as they don't have great eyesight. They also like warmer water than your other fish.
So no wonder you've got high ammonia :c If you don't already have one invest in a water test kit. The drops work better than strips. You can fix high ammonia temporarily with water changes and lower feeding but it won't fix your stocking issue permanently.
If you don't want them to die and don't have a suitable pond the best option would be to return/rehome them all and try a different stocking. 10 gallons isn't that big so you don't have a ton of options but you can still get some nice fish for it c: Try running your ideas through http://aqadvisor.com/ before getting anything. It's not completely accurate but it gives you a good idea on whether or not your fish are compatible with each other and their tank.
There are some stocking ideas here: http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/Sto ... allon_Tank
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jayus » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:16 pm

W I N T E R. wrote:Ugh, who knew being a fish owner would be so difficult?!?

In addition to what lonin said, you also appear to be missing quite a lot of the basics of fish care. Do you have a filter? It sounds like the tank hasn't even had time to cycle even if you do have a filter. & it sounds like you have no way to test the water parameters, which would give you an accurate idea of what's really going on in your tank chemically.
Here's a goldfish care guide[url]. Note that the smaller variety requires twice the size for a single fish.
Bottom feeders isn't a specific thing. Are they plecos? Common plecos can get to be two feet long. Bushynose plecos need 20g for a single pleco.
Honestly, even if your fish manage to survive the ammonia they're all generating (goldfish and plecos are notorious poop machines), they're going to be terribly, terribly stunted in that tank. They'll try to keep growing, but their organs are going to be squished. This 10g tank is only healthy for the frogs, and that's if you remove everybody else from the tank. I'd recommend returning the koi and goldfish, or looking to find somebody with established tanks/ponds to take them and the other fish in.
As for restocking once you've found healthy homes, you may want to start off with just the frogs, or just a betta if you rehome the frogs. The frogs are very shy and can be bullied into starvation by the fish, and also secrete things that can be toxic to the fish, so it's best to have conspecific tanks only when it comes to amphibians vs fish.
There's not much you can put in 10g, but a betta would absolute adore the space, especially once it's cycled and planted.
[url=https://jayce-space.tumblr.com/post/142816651311/betta-splendens-care-sheet]Here's a betta care sheet!!
As you can see, they require much less space than any of the other fish on your list. If it sounds like they're not for you, here's a huge list of guides that you can look through to make a decision based on !!
jayus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:49 am

Anyone ever had bichirs? I want a Senegal Bichir but I have a 20g. I’m getting a bigger tank in idk 6 or so months. Will get a 55 if I get one. But I’m curious how long it takes to grow? If I got a Senegal now at about 3 inches how long can it be in my 20 with my other fish?
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby flyteck » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:41 am

Crum wrote:Anyone ever had bichirs? I want a Senegal Bichir but I have a 20g. I’m getting a bigger tank in idk 6 or so months. Will get a 55 if I get one. But I’m curious how long it takes to grow? If I got a Senegal now at about 3 inches how long can it be in my 20 with my other fish?

Never had birchirs, but I'd recommend waiting. It'll be easier for the fish if it's just introduced into the aquarium when you get it vs moved from a small one to a big one, and then you've got no risk of stunting.
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
echjhmhehcghfghfgghhImage

Deviantart [most active]
toyhou.se
Lioden
I'm still on here, but I don't post much.
Feel free to message me if you'd like to
chat! Check my DA for commissions c;

✯ Check out my Webcomic!✯
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Requiem; » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:34 pm

I have a couple of questions. Currently I just switched my Betta over to a 3.5 gallon tank, as he was getting a little uncomfortable with his 2 gallon one. I also added one of those Marimo moss balls today, which I hope will help engage him a little more I'm considering getting him a tankmate, but I don't want another fish. What types/how many shrimp/snails can live comfortably with a betta in a 3.5 g tank? The last thing I want to do is cause any overcrowding. Also, do you think that I should invest in another moss ball? Or do the benefits from it work as it is.

Thanks for any help! This is my first betta, and I've had him for about 3 months now, and in that time he's been an absolute gem. Never had good luck with fish before him.

Theo | They/Them | Adult
Only active for art related things

xxxxxxzzxImage
Requiem;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby demoiselle; » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:38 pm

betta sexing help? thanks in advance!!

i recently got a betta and it was marked as a koi female at petco
i know sometimes they mislabel male plakats as females,
and he/she has what looks like an egg spot (but i've heard that sometimes males look like they have them too??)
at first it made me pretty certain that i had indeed snagged a female.
the thing though, is that he/she flares quite a lot.
i know that some females do this, but honestly it's kind of frightening how often he/she flares.
and i can't really see the beard because his/her body/face area is kind of transparent, anal fin is not super pointy and ventral fins aren't super long. (so mostly feminine characters)
i'm fairly sure about it being a female but it would be really awesome to get a second opinion

i really need to come up with a name and this is setting me back a little, and i would super appreciate it if someone could help me out
demoiselle;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:59 am

demoiselle; wrote:betta sexing help? thanks in advance!!

i recently got a betta and it was marked as a koi female at petco
i know sometimes they mislabel male plakats as females,
and he/she has what looks like an egg spot (but i've heard that sometimes males look like they have them too??)
at first it made me pretty certain that i had indeed snagged a female.
the thing though, is that he/she flares quite a lot.
i know that some females do this, but honestly it's kind of frightening how often he/she flares.
and i can't really see the beard because his/her body/face area is kind of transparent, anal fin is not super pointy and ventral fins aren't super long. (so mostly feminine characters)
i'm fairly sure about it being a female but it would be really awesome to get a second opinion

i really need to come up with a name and this is setting me back a little, and i would super appreciate it if someone could help me out

Pics? If it says it’s a girl and it has the spot, I’d say it probably is. Idk how they do it but mine have always been correct, even the super tiny baby I bought... Boys do sometimes have ‘egg spots’ but from what I have seen they’re very small and thin and hard to see unless you’re really looking. My females is big, looks like a big ball coming off her and it’s very obvious.

As for my question about bichirs, I kind of want to get one soonish because it will be living with a blood parrot who could most likely eat it when it’s a baby. I need to make sure it’s grown out enough beforehand.
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satuurnity » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:38 am

I finally have enough money to properly set up my 30 gallon (to buy the filters and decorations etc) but first I just have one question; the lid for the tank is made of wood, so do I have to waterproof it before I fill the tank? Thank you!
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me