Annoying Things People Do To/With Your Pet(s)

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Annoying Things People Do To/With Your Pet(s)

Postby acura, » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:45 am

~*~ LAURENTIA ~*~ wrote:
SpudTheSheltie101 wrote:
I'm sorry, but excuse you? Frodo doesn't look like a stray, he's a mix between a cattle dog and many more, he's vaccinated, micro-chipped and lots more, if you people met Frodo in real life, you'd love him; first off, what if Frodo and that man had a past? Second of all, Frodo is getting old, and cranky, he is 9 years old, when he was 6, he wouldn't care. Frodo is a friendly dog to people who don't beat him up. Frodo was allowed on the street like every other dog in the neighborhood, if you came to our streets, you'd see many dogs wandering around, Labradors, Cavoodles, etc. Everyone knew who's dog it was, my friend's, so people wouldn't care, they'd just pat him, and hug him, and eventually, he'd come straight back into the house. Frodo is a nice dog, and you say that Frodo was 'left' there to terrorize the man? My friend spent 2 hours trying to get Frodo back in! The man wasn't even afraid, he just walked off, pretending to shoot Frodo with a gun, like I said earlier, what if Frodo and that man had a past? What if that man was the one that abused him, and threw him into the streets?? And if you didn't read correctly about the women Frodo barked at and growled at, Frodo was STARING, WITH his tail WAGGING, as well as SITTING in front of the women, then suddenly, she got a stick and threw it at him, so exactly what is wrong with Frodo? And the animal part, he is getting protective about his owner and I, he won't attack female dogs as much, but males, he will get mad. Frodo thinks he is the king of the streets, and like a wolf, he gets territorial about his place, and if a bigger dog comes by, he will growl. Frodo has NEVER EVER bitten ANY human in his life, and you say that Frodo is bad? Unlike some people's dogs, what if a robber comes in? Exactly. Frodo is a nice dog, and if I could show you guys him, he, and you, would love each other. He is a beautiful dog that does nothing but protect, give love, and copes with some people pulling his tail, grabbing his paw and pulling it. The description I WROTE was about the ANNOYING things, he is a nice dog too, and loves people, I didn't write really any good facts about him, due to the fact this was called 'Annoying Things People Do To/With Your Pet(s)'.
Frodo also does bite other dogs because he thinks he won't get anymore attention, since he loves getting patted and all.
The thing that worries me, if he is left to roam the streets, he will go to the pound and be put down, how would you guys like your dogs to be put down? Exactly!
Like said MANY times, if you met him in real life, you'd love him, he loves licking your face, and loves wagging his tail and following you anywhere. And to be honest, you can't blame Frodo, he was abused for a long time, and thrown out onto the streets, so, he doesn't want that to happen again.
OK, there is one person that hurt me a lot, and said 'He isn't sweet', OK, hmm... He is sweet, you hear? You're absolutely tearing ,me a part with that, Frodo is sweet, he loves humans, if you get to know him, he will follow you everywhere, and you DO realize he has only barked, growled, and more to 2 people? And the 2 people, are the people I told in the story! YOU can't say that Frodo is bad for an incident of 2 times? The 2nd time was reasonable, but the first still leaves my friend and I hanging.. You also can't say that Frodo is not sweet :c You haven't met him in real life! Frodo is a great dog, he just likes to have attention, I would tell you another story of what happened to my other friend's little 5 year old Cavoodle, but why should I exactly? This rant is going on for too long, and someone would obviously hurt my, and my friend's feelings.

Please don't judge Frodo.

If he's aggressive, is letting him roam the streets that good of an idea? And I'm pretty sure that man probably didn't have a past with him - otherwise he probably may have asked for his dog back and/or be in prison for animal abuse.
I once had a Rottweiler, and she wasn't ever aggressive - she was cranky at age nine, yeah, but never aggressive. Her name was Flame, and I'm sure if she can get on perfectly with others as "the most aggressive breed of dog" , and a once very protective rescue dog, your pet can too.
Also, let me just quote you here.
"Frodo started barking, so the woman threw a stick at him." That sounds nothing like "he was sitting there wagging his tail when she threw the stick at him." I agree throwing a stick at a dog is bad, but you're contradicting yourself.
And, in most places, most strays aren't pedigrees - they're mostly mixed breeds and cattle dogs.

Are you ignoring the fact that he has a nice side? It seems so! You are criticising my friend and I for letting our dog roam the street. You can't say all dogs are nice at 9, you are saying that, just because your Rottweiler was nice, Frodo has to be too? No, because my friend's dog is nothing like your Rottweiler. Frodo just likes attention, and I'm sure other dogs do the barking and growling, and most are worse than Frodo, so why don't you criticise the owners, why don't you? And let me quote what I have said a million times,
"Frodo is a nice dog."
So, just because I explained 2 stories about Frodo, that makes him bad? OK, I might as well explain my friend's story, so you can criticise him to,
Charlie, a Cavoodle, was allowed outside onto the streets, ya hear me? He found a man walking by, and sniffed his shoe, then the man kicked Charlie, and grabbed him by he tail.

And let me get this into your head, for the past 4-5 years Frodo was gotten by my friend, FRODO WAS ALLOWED ON THE STREETS; no one cared about a dog roaming, they would just enjoy the company of a dog roaming. And a couple years later, Frodo got cranky, my mum's friend even said that.

Oh? You think most of the time cattle dogs and mixed breeds are strays? Completely false, I am pretty sure Staffys have a harsher time, on the RSPCA and ARF, there are many staffys still there, ARF has 2 staffys that were up for adoption since November 2016. I'm not saying I hate staffys, I love all dogs, but staffys are one of the most neglected breeds, and in fact, I barely see cattle dogs roaming the streets, it is mostly staffys.

Saying 'no' to staffys being very neglected, staffys were bred as strong, powerful and terrifying dogs.

And why would someone want 'their' dog back if there was a past? What? So they... could abuse him again? Could make him a stray again? Haha, never gonna happen if my friend has Frodo.

OK, why are you ignoring a question I asked? I asked this,
"How would you feel if just because of one incident m, your dog was taken away from you to be put down?"
I asked a question somewhat on those lines, so, may you answer? Why don't you?

You obviously don't know our neighbourhood, dogs are allowed to roam the streets, and if the streets of where you live don't, why are you saying because your place doesn't allow it, ours shouldn't?
Our neighbourhood is very friendly, you could just get a small dog that isn't yours into your house, feed it and play with it, then let it out of your house, and that wouldn't be considered stealing in our neighbourhood.

Please, keep replying, I'd like to know what you guys don't understand about a friendly neighbour hood.
I'm just trying to say that Frodo had a nice side, but apparently you guys don't believe it, so, I'll keep defending my friend and Frodo, because there is nothing wrong with Frodo.
███████
███████
███████
███████
let it all go let it all go let it all go let it all go
███████████████████▒▒
────────────────────────────────
┌───────────────────┐
hi! call me izzy or isabelle
i love art, weightlifting, gaming,
cars and motorcycles! my pronouns
are she / her. i love meeting
and talking to new people so
feel free to shoot over a msg!

└───────────────────┘
its called its called its called called
██████████████████████████

freefall freefall freefall freefall freefall freefall
th. comms. song. credit.──────────────
acura,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jealousy Empress » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:01 am

To answer your question, I never said your dog should be put down. If I let my current dog, a pug named Betty (flame passed on at 17 :( ) out on the streets, I'm 100 percent sure someone would see something wrong with that within five minutes.
If a dog gets put to sleep for being aggressive, there will be evidence against the dog.
──🌸────
Hi! i'm Laurentia,
a panromantic asexual
Demi-girl with a love
for pugs, steven universe
and Angels. i'm nearly
always open to role-
play, PM me if you want
to do a 1x1. i'm a mod
on SU artists amino
as Lapis_lazuli JSYK!

────🌸──
link ● link ● 🌸
Jealousy Empress

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:03 am

Spud

https://positively.com/dog-training/und ... -language/

A good read to help with body language a wagging tail doesn't always mean a happy dog. Growling and barking also doesn't mean friendly.

I'm sorry but he is not the type of dog I would wanting approaching me and I've worked with aggressive dog he is throwing out so many mixed signals he is screaming at your friend.

CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sunny! » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 am

My second betta was in my room. Then a person came over and started poking at it. Two weeks later, Mythical died.

link
link
link
link
link
©

I’m not as active as I used to be, I’ll be here for big events such as Christmas and Summer.

Sunny!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Larkspur1678 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:12 am

As someone who worked at animal control for a while, you need to keep your dog leashed for safety reasons. I don't care how 'friendly' he is, it is extremely dangerous because even if he's a perfect dog, other people and dogs may not be as nice. You already said he bit the neck of a 5 month old dog, if that was reported he could've gotten put down. And what if another roaming dog bites him? Then you have an injured dog and one that might go on the euth list. Not to mention what if someone calls animal control? Are you always going to pay $100+ to bail him out for your own neglegince? Dogs need to be leashed and supervised at all time, no exceptions. If I still worked at animal control and I heard a story like that you bet your butt you wouldn't get your dog back before hearing one earful of a lecture.

Adult • She/they
Toyhouse

Icon by MRLFRK on FA
Animation by DarkMoonRay on Twitter
Larkspur1678

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Lost Gremlin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:34 am

@ Spud -
I personally wouldn't want ANY unleashed, unattended dog running towards me whilst I'm out trying to walk my pug mix. You may know that the dog is nice but does the other person? Probably not. Several times I've been approached by roaming dogs whilst walking my Eddie and - guess what? One dog, a labrador, grabbed Eddie and shook her like a ragdoll and it took all I had to free her. Another, a belgian shepherd, charged me from behind and knocked me off my feet before playfully chasing my terrified pup. And some time ago a staffy tried to attack my chihuahua John-boy, and when I picked him up to protect him, the staffy sank its teeth into my leg and chased me down the street. I had to call the dog warden but since we did not know where staffy lived, it could not be dealt with.

Said staffy was found dead two weeks later after having been run down by a car. My old neighbour also used to have a soppy young rottweiler. They allowed him to roam on a daily basis where he'd foul our garden and cause a nuisance with traffic. Again, he met an untimely end beneath a car.

You may think it's okay but in many cities and countries it is actually against the law to allow any unattended dog to roam outside the owner's property, whether they're chipped/tagged or not. And even if its not illegal, it's simply not safe or sensible to allow a dog to wander as he pleases. Dogs are much more likely to get involved in road traffic accidents, pick up parasites, get into fights, get stolen by sick people, be a nuisance to livestock and get injured, among other things. Maybe 50 years ago things were different with fewer cars on the road and such but it just seems to be plain irresponsible to do so. I'll never understand how people can justify kicking their dogs out for hours at a time. Some might do it as an excuse not to walk them or because 'the dog likes it'... well, my dog enjoys stealing the cat's dinner and chewing up my shoes, but do I let her just because she likes it? Absolutely not.

And unfortunately there is a LOT of breed discrimination, which likely adds to how people react to a strange dog approaching them. People have every right to protect themselves against an animal that might attempt to attacked themselves or their pets - I'm not just gonna stand by and let a strange dog do as he pleases.
The Lost Gremlin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jealousy Empress » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:38 am

The Lost Gremlin wrote:@ Spud -
I personally wouldn't want ANY unleashed, unattended dog running towards me whilst I'm out trying to walk my pug mix. You may know that the dog is nice but does the other person? Probably not. Several times I've been approached by roaming dogs whilst walking my Eddie and - guess what? One dog, a labrador, grabbed Eddie and shook her like a ragdoll and it took all I had to free her. Another, a belgian shepherd, charged me from behind and knocked me off my feet before playfully chasing my terrified pup. And some time ago a staffy tried to attack my chihuahua John-boy, and when I picked him up to protect him, the staffy sank its teeth into my leg and chased me down the street. I had to call the dog warden but since we did not know where staffy lived, it could not be dealt with.

Said staffy was found dead two weeks later after having been run down by a car. My old neighbour also used to have a soppy young rottweiler. They allowed him to roam on a daily basis where he'd foul our garden and cause a nuisance with traffic. Again, he met an untimely end beneath a car.

You may think it's okay but in many cities and countries it is actually against the law to allow any unattended dog to roam outside the owner's property, whether they're chipped/tagged or not. And even if its not illegal, it's simply not safe or sensible to allow a dog to wander as he pleases. Dogs are much more likely to get involved in road traffic accidents, pick up parasites, get into fights, get stolen by sick people, be a nuisance to livestock and get injured, among other things. Maybe 50 years ago things were different with fewer cars on the road and such but it just seems to be plain irresponsible to do so. I'll never understand how people can justify kicking their dogs out for hours at a time. Some might do it as an excuse not to walk them or because 'the dog likes it'... well, my dog enjoys stealing the cat's dinner and chewing up my shoes, but do I let her just because she likes it? Absolutely not.

And unfortunately there is a LOT of breed discrimination, which likely adds to how people react to a strange dog approaching them. People have every right to protect themselves against an animal that might attempt to attacked themselves or their pets - I'm not just gonna stand by and let a strange dog do as he pleases.

I agree with you on every pint you've made, gremlin. I too have a few pugs, as stated before (Betty and Ben) and if I saw any dog racing towards mine with no owner in sight I would be tempted to call animal control or pick up my own dogs. And yes, it is illegal in most countries.
──🌸────
Hi! i'm Laurentia,
a panromantic asexual
Demi-girl with a love
for pugs, steven universe
and Angels. i'm nearly
always open to role-
play, PM me if you want
to do a 1x1. i'm a mod
on SU artists amino
as Lapis_lazuli JSYK!

────🌸──
link ● link ● 🌸
Jealousy Empress

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:22 pm

All the dogs who have attacked me and my dogs have been nice, that's why I can leash them up, check them for injuries and find their owner since usually they're out by accident. Being dog aggressive doesn't make a dog bad, it just makes them a dog that needs to be closely supervised around other dogs, not let loose. My grandma had an EXTREMELY dog aggressive APBT and she was one of the best dogs I ever knew.
My staffy has been off leash trained since she was three months (trained with actual commands, not just let off leash like "yeah go for it") so she can be off leash in dog friendly places, but I wouldn't let my other dog off leash for a second, they're both great dogs, it's just their individual needs.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby KeiOfTheWolves » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:41 pm

My parents have a chihuahua dachshund mix named Cinnamon that is both dog and human aggressive. She showed up at their house years ago, and she's probably ten or eleven years old by now. We think she was three or four when she showed up there. Anyway, she was really sick and really scared and we took her in. She's been terrified of people and dogs as long as we've had her; she's especially frightened of children and women. We've always been very careful with her and she's never harmed a dog or person (she even likes most cats lol.)

ANYWAY! My dad was having surgery a couple months back and I dog-sat Cinnamon at my apartment for about a week. My parents have a big yard and just tie her out during warm days and never really take her on walks. They live far enough out that no one will ever be walking by or anything. Since I live in an apartment, I took her for walks several times a day. It was nice to have a walking companion.

Well, here's the annoying part. I was walking her around my apartment building and one of my neighbors came out walking his dog. Cinnamon went nuts. She was shaking and barking and growling and her hair was all stood up. The neighbor saw this and let his dog's leash out to its full length and walked over to us. I didn't want to have to grab Cinnamon, because I'm afraid that when she's so frightened, she might bite me. He said "It's okay, they'll be friends!" and I was like um. I kept pulling Cinnamon back and stepping away from him and he said something like "No, don't take her! Look they're friends!" and Cinnamon was totally prepared to bite his dog's nose off because it kept going closer to her. I told him she is very dog aggressive and fearful of them, and he answered with "No, look, she's fine!" so at this point I picked up Cinnamon and said not another word and carried her to inside my apartment. WHAT is wrong with people?!?!?

Little footnote here; If I at any point determined Cinnamon could reach the other dog or that the other dog was responding aggressively I would've swooped in and grabbed her. I've known this dog for 7-8 years, I am the one who trained her, and I have always retained full control over her. She's with my parents because I can't keep an aggressive dog at my apartment full-time.
Attachments
427536_2866665145471_31700436_n.jpg
A picture of the terror taken four years ago. She decided to close her eyes because the camera flash. haha
427536_2866665145471_31700436_n.jpg (145.62 KiB) Viewed 118 times
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 22 people.
I have received 15 gifts.
KeiOfTheWolves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:18 pm

The Lost Gremlin wrote:@ Spud -

This^^

A family who used to live across the street from me had a large black labrador. They kept her inside or tied up in the yard but occasionally she'd get loose. One night I was getting into my car and she came running towards me, barking. I'm not afraid of dogs but I had never interacted with this one before and knew very little about her. Maybe she was a perfectly nice, friendly dog, but maybe she wasn't. Either way it makes me nervous to have a dog I've never met running towards me, barking loudly, late at night. I got into my car and closed the door before she reached me so I have no idea if she was hostile and/or going to attack me but I think it was completely justified for me to be uncomfortable in that situation.

Your dog is your responsibility. It is your responsibility to keep them safe and secure. If someone calls animal control because you let your dog roam the blame falls on you, not on the caller.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me