Annoying Things People Do To/With Your Pet(s)

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Annoying Things People Do To/With Your Pet(s)

Postby GutterPunk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm pretty sure that this has been said a thousand times, but PETTING MY DOGS WITHOUT ASKING. Like, that is one for sure thing to make me immediately hate someone. One, is a service dog in training so you doing that can literally send me to the hospital?? He's still in training so of course he's not 100% at distractions, but he's very good at alerting when I need it. The other, is fear reactive of people and hates kids. I even muzzle him in public to keep people away and they still run up and pet him even if he starts growling???
yes i tell them to not pet him and not come near etc but people don't listen to me..
GutterPunk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShatteredAnubis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:06 pm

1. I hate when people don't work with their animals and let them go unsocialized. My aunt bought her daughter a dog for 3 grand who wasnt even the right breed. (A literal quote from my aunt being "Well all the other puppies were smaller and fluffier" The dog they got has the exact opposite temperment of the dog they wanted.) My cousin couldnt care less about the dog so her sister trained him and took care of him. They didn't socialize him at all and because of my other cousin's health problems and anxiety about dogs they had to give him away. They had been saying they needed to get rid of him for years and still didnt socialize him even though they knew he would need to be around over people and dogs with out panicking. My whole family pressured my mom and I into taking him because it was us or a shelter for some reason, but now I have an unsocialized dog who I really would like to be my psychiatric service dog but I would have to work with him for years to fix it and I need one asap. Ive been training him and hes doing well but as soon as he would get into the public, he would bark like crazy.

2. Also, i hate my grandparents refusing to adopt and instead shopping for a dog that cost them like 8 grand just because they wanted a hypoalergenic dog but they didnt get one. They got a bernedoodle and she has mixed fur making her not hypoalergenic. Then, they don't train her at all. She is not house broken, she barely knows her name, and she has so much pent up energy becuase they dont have a fenced in yard and she cant run. They don't feed her enough and when ever she comes over my mom and I try to feed her but my grandmother takes the food bowls and puts them up onto the kitchen counter. My grandmother says she shops because she "Doesnt want a pitbull" but pitbulls are the sweetest dogs ever, I have 3 pitbull mixes and they are the most lovely, gentle dogs I have ever met. I can rest my head on my pitbull bassethound mixes side and she couldnt care less.

3. My mom's boyfriend's mom starves herself and her dog. The dog will literally go out and eat rocks and sticks because theyre so hungry (I dont know the dog very well, all I know is she starves them) I wanna drive over there and save the poor thing.
"Sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree? Travel the world and the seven seas, everybody's looking for something. Some of them want to use you, some of them want to get used by you, some of them want to abuse you, some of them want to be abused"~Sweet Dreams Emily Browning

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ShatteredAnubis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby //Kitty cat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:06 pm

[center]When parents tell their kids "Look at the doggy!" And encourage their kids to pet my SERVICE DOG WHO HAS 3 PATCHES ON HIM THAT SAY DO NOT PET.

When people talk to me and then just reach out and proceed to pet my dog like it just gives some permission to pet him by saying hi to me...

When I tell people not to pet him, he's working and people proceed to call him and make noises and distract him every other way.
Seriously these all just happened tonight at walmart alone.
[/center]

────── ARD A ─
▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓

linkkkkkk
✶ linkkkkkk
linkkkkkk
✶ linkkkkkk
linkkkkkk
✶ linkkkkkk

──────────────────── ───

OF
OF
▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓

─── ────────────────────
──────────────────── ───

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ © ▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
────────────────
I'm Lewis! (he/him)
EDS Warrior and SD Handler
-Not online often
Please be patient with
trades and messages!

────────────────
COLLECTION OF

─── ───────────────

▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
//Kitty cat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blazesong » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:52 am

it wasnt to/with my dog , but i was a pet cafe with my two dogs and giving the older boy cuddles/kisses and this lady gave me a look of discust , like how dare i show my dog love when her hambag dog is sitting frightened next to her while she gives not cares

i need a new signature

blazesong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby txernest » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:02 am

This post got super long because I have FEELS. Pic and TL;DR at the bottom.

So my pupper recently turned a year old. She's a purebred american pit bull terrier and definitely looks the part. (I normally advocate for shelter dogs but a friend's boyfriend bred a litter and I fell in love so he sold her to me for far less than she was worth.) Her name is Piper.

Piper has never met a living creature that she did not want to be friends with. She enthusiastically still tries to befriend my roommate's old man dog, who does nothing but bark at her, and our fat orange cat, who is actually starting to warm up to her because she's persisted. The problem, though, is that enthusiastic part. A ton of people mistake this for an attempt at aggression when the most aggressive thing she's ever done is lick someone. She's incredibly gentle with animals that are smaller than her, despite her enthusiasm, and when she convinces someone to play with her, she plays at their level rather than always being 150% energy about it the way she is with other pit bull type dogs.

Luckily for the two of us, we live in a very pit-positive area and most people are happy to love on her when we're out on walks or wherever else she goes. However, there are outliers. The saddest I've ever seen my happy, enthusiastic, loving Piper pupper really stands out in my mind, partly because of the overt way it happened. It takes a lot to make this dog unhappy. If you do get angry with her and yell, she'll sit there and slowly wag her tail while staring at you lovingly from the floor.

So one day we were out for a walk. Normally Piper likes to say hello to any person that we see, and normally I let her because for the most part they don't mind. But this one couple was out walking at the same time one day and when they saw us coming, the boyfriend actively switched sides he was walking on so that he could be between his girlfriend and the puppy that was tail-wagging enthusiastically at the prospect of meeting two people at once omg best thing. Then that didn't seem like enough, so while complaining loudly about how "aggressive dogs like that should be shot" he led his girlfriend to the other side of the street to avoid my puppy, who was displaying zero signs of aggression.

She proceeded to positively wilt in sadness. Her ears dropped, her tail dropped and stopped moving (practically unheard of for her), and she slumped down in pure depression. She even whimpered a little with the sads. We had to cut our walk - her favorite part of the day - short because she was too upset.

There've been cases of people being skeptical of her because she's so visibly a pit bull, but usually her genuine and obvious friendliness has them petting her - or at least accepting her - anyway because she's so precious. I mean, look at this face:
That's sixty pounds of cuddle, right there.

While I have been told off about owning a pit bull plenty of times, rarely have I been so angry about the incident. Because usually these people have not yet met my puppy as I've simply mentioned her in conversation, so they haven't given her a depressive episode by hating her for her breed.

Both my brother and I have sworn off owning any other dog breed after getting pit bulls (his is a high-percentage apbt shelter dog rather than purebred). They're high-energy and can be difficult to manage because of that plus the muscle and size, but as long as you take time to properly train them and give them plenty of attention, they are the most loyal and friendliest dogs I've ever known.

TL;DR: My dog loves every living thing, but some people don't believe that because of her breed and talk loudly about how she should be shot and upset her by going to extremes to avoid her. The prejudice against pit bulls needs to die because it makes the pit bulls sad and that face shouldn't be sad.
txernest

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MayMallard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:41 am

Gosh I hate it when my dog runs over to a family who is feeding the ducks, and they give him bread. That rewards him for doing negative behaviour. One time someone was feeding garlic bread to the ducks and gave some to my dog. I'll just say that his poos were not able to be picked up.

Also, once this happened to a doberman I knew.
The dog was off lead, nowhere near anyone, I know that dog and they're very nice, and not aggressive. So this lady storms over, across the park, and says that the dog was dangerous and should be on a lead. She then slaps the "dangerous" dog.
If the dog was dangerous she could've easily gotten badly injured.
MayMallard

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eddie_Kaspbrak » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:46 am

Tfw people give you a weird look when you tell them you have exotic or farm animals.

"You dont eat... your chickens???" Uh,,, no? They're my pets,,,, they're like my feathered children.

"Why would you ever get ducks??? Those are wild animals!!!" Stop

And then, when people come over to my house, they make all these weird kissy/baby talk to my other birds and im just "pls dont do that to Missy, she'll bite you and I'll get sued-" They also like to scare the living crap out of my chickens fsr and im just "guYS PLEASE"
QUITTING CS! send me pms on flight rising (perikeets) for my pets!
Eddie_Kaspbrak

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby artemis, » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:03 am

hhh boy do i have some rants for you

the majority of my family is allergic to literally all animals, especially cats. (which is one of the reasons
    i had to get my own place. i have 4 cats and one german shepherd.) however, whenever my family visits
    my apartment *shakes fist* they will constantly be looking around with furrowed brows worrying about m
    y cats getting too close. whenever my cats find out someone entered the house, they come over to inves
    tigate. my family members always panic and push them away rather violently (or maybe i'm just overpro
    tective of them, idek).

also, i recently got a gsd pupper and named him thor. one of my friends was bitten by a chihuahua when
    she was 6. A CHIHUAHUA. she always yelps when my puppy gets too close. at this point, i feel like my do
    ggo is more afraid she'll yell than she is of him biting her. >:/ being that my dog is stubborn and persiste
    nt, he'll sometimes keep trying to sniff her, and sometimes she pushes him or kicks him away out of imp
    ulse. if i wasn't able to control my anger better, i would've just yelled, "TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY DOG!"

Image << this is thor. she is terrified of him.
artemis,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MamaMoonie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:42 am

My "favorite" thing that most people do is around Easter. People just Willy-Nilly buy their very young children a bunny. Bunnies are fragile, and children don't know better. Then putting them on their backs. Again they are fragile animals and do panic easily. One wrong move can snap their spines. Of course the defense is "oh well I didn't know". Whatever happened to researching about these things? And some people thinking "oh they're just animals. Nothing to be upset about" That makes me just furious as nothing else.
MamaMoonie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ᴠᴇʟʟɪᴄʜᴏʀ. » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 am

i show rabbits for breeding stock at my local 4-h fair. since they are breeding stock and not meat rabbits, they do not get sold and eaten after the fair is over. they get to come back home with me instead. these rabbits have turned into my children. i love them and i'm very proud of them when i take them to fair. but i really hate they way the visitors behave when they come to see the fair and it's animals. let me make it clear right now that these cages at the fairgrounds don't have locks. this means that anybody can come and open your cages. people have too. there was one time during the fair were somebody opened a cage, the rabbit jumped out, and then ran away. never to be seen again. there have also been some occasions were rabbits have been injured as well. usually people opening cages is rare, but it's not unheard of.

if people aren't opening your cages, then they are sticking their fingers in them trying to touch your rabbits. this is a very common sight in the rabbit barn. everybody does this. all day, every day. my rabbits are scared. they've been placed in a strange, loud, hot new environment. do not touch them. you're making it worse. then people get upset when the rabbit bites them. that's your fault. you shouldn't have been touching my children in the first place. my friend tried putting up a sign saying 'please don't touch rabbits.'. there were a few people considerate enough to listen, but for most it just made them want to touch them even more.

if any of you ever go visit the animals at a 4-h fair, please control yourself around the animals. they are usually frightened and the animal or it's owner is not responsible for whatever it does to you when you provoke it. those animals are somebody's children. do not hurt them.

these are the babies i took this year to fair. meet elliot and finn.
ᴠᴇʟʟɪᴄʜᴏʀ.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me