The Great Ferret Alliance

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Ferrets!

Postby shim » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Hey guys!!
Im shim
and I LOVE FERRETS!!!
Its my dream to own one, but my friend says they are too mean, I don't think its true, so im wondering how can I get one because they are amazing <33
ImageImageImage

shim / nonbinary / nursing
hi i’m shim! i’m not too active on here, but i check messages occasionally!
feel free to pm me if you need anything :3

toyhouse

they/them
shim

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queen of the Kings » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:47 pm

~Shimmer wrote:Hey guys!!
Im shim
and I LOVE FERRETS!!!
Its my dream to own one, but my friend says they are too mean, I don't think its true, so im wondering how can I get one because they are amazing <33

Whoa whoa whoa! Tell your friend she is wrong! (Well, they scratch and bite you sometimes AKA a lot ;)) But they are awesome! Just don't go thinking that they are easy to take care of! (They are not at all!!)

I recommend (since pet shops are SUPER expensive to get a ferret(s), and cage, food, bowl, litter box, etc.) Going online and finding someone who can't take care of them anymore. They are often very cheap compared to pet shops. I got mine online for about $115 coming with all the supplies I needed. I hope you can find one! :)
Queen of the Kings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Fuzzy Facts!

Postby Queen of the Kings » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:39 am

Facts about ferrets

Lifespan

Their average lifespan is between 5-9 years however some live for 10 years and longer!

Maturity

They grow up quickly! They tend to reach maturity from 4-8 months of age.

Female:

•Weight and length

The females are smaller than the males and they weigh between 0.75 - 1.5 kg’s (1.5 to 3 pounds). The girls can reach about 45cm in length (18 inches, including tail).

•Naming

Jills – are intact (non spayed) female ferrets.

Sprite (yep, like the drink) – are spayed female ferrets.

Male:

•Weight and length

The boys can be much bigger than the females weighing in at1.5 - 2.5 kg’s (3 to 5 pounds). The boys can reach 60cm in length (24 inches, tail included).

•Naming

Hobs – intact male ferrets.

Gib – spayed male ferret.

Other names

Kits – Ferrets under one year of age

Business – a group of ferrets ferret-facts-picture
Pregnancy

It’s a relatively short gestation at 42 days.

Average litter size

The average litter size is 8. However, it has been know for litters to range from 1-18.

Weaning

This occurs from 6-8 weeks.

Color at birth

All ferrets are white at birth, they start to get their adult color at 3 weeks of age.

Sight

The babies are born with their eyes closed; they start to open at around 34 days.

Hearing

Babies are born deaf and just like the sight they start hearing at around 34 days.

Teeth

The baby teeth erupt at around 14 days of age. The adult teeth start appearing at around 47 days and are fully erupt (and ready to bite) at 70 days.

Body temperature

Centigrade: 37.8 – 39.4, Fahrenheit 100-103.

Heart Rate (normal)

200-250 beats/min

Respiration

33-36 breaths/min

Scientific Classification

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Mustelidae
Genus: Mustela
Species: Mustela putorius furo
Queen of the Kings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

About a frret diet

Postby Queen of the Kings » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:26 am

Ferret Diets

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

》First of all, Ferrets are carnivores this means they should not eat grains, fruits, or vegetables. This is impossible for ferrets to digest.

Kibbles: kibble is OK for your ferret to eat, but you need to make sure you get the right one.

》The first 3 ingredients of the kibble must be something meat based

》Try to avoid having ingredients like molasses in your kibble, or any sweetener

》Make sure they do not have grains, fruits, or veggies

》Do not get kibble with a high amount of carbs in it

》Make sure that your food has a high fat content, this is necessary for a ferrets diet

》Ferrets should always have access to food!

Raw Diet a raw diet is when your ferret eats nothing but raw meats and egg yolks

》You must be careful when feeding your ferret raw foods

》Your ferret can be fed beef, mouse, rat, pork, chicken, turkey, rabbit, etc.

》This is a much healthier choice for your ferret, I recommend doing this instead of feeding your ferret kibble

》A "raw meal" does not mean to feed your ferret other things than meat, egg yolks are the only other thing accepted into the raw diet plan

》If your ferret is sick (your vet would probably tell you this) feed it on a raw meal diet! I cannot stress how important this is. If your ferret is sick, and ESPECIALLY if it has Insulninoma! This is the most common disease that can kill your ferret and is caused by an unhealthy diet

》I suggest you go and talk to your vet before going on a raw meal diet

》Insulinoma is an often fatal disease your ferret can get by eating a large amount of unhealthy kibble or fruits and veggies

》This is when the ferret gets growths in its pancreas and cannot digest food

》If this ever happens for any reason you need to immediately STOP feeding your ferret kibble and go to a raw meal diet

》If you do not take action and feed your ferret on a raw meal diet and do what ever your vet tells you, Insulinoma can lead to seizures in your ferret, this is the main cause of death from Insulinoma.

》If you want to know if your ferret is having a seizure, please look here WARNING: Very upsetting video

》If you want to have your ferret be on this diet, go to your veterinarian and talk to him/her about that is right

》I also suggest visiting http://www.ferret-world.com/, this is a very helpful right run by a woman who knows a lot about ferrets and helped me, too
Queen of the Kings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blitzstrike » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:52 pm

I'm getting my first ferret tomorrow! Eeeee I am so excited! He's $150 with cage and all. He has all of his shots, has been fixed, litter trained, and is a year old. We went to meet him today and now I miss him like crazy!

Also------NEVER EVER DO FERRET AND SNAKE D: IF you do, please, please wash your hands like CRAZY before holding your fuzzy friend because ferrets will not trust you if it smells the snake on you.
ImageImage
Blitzstrike

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Blitzstrike wrote:Also------NEVER EVER DO FERRET AND SNAKE D: IF you do, please, please wash your hands like CRAZY before holding your fuzzy friend because ferrets will not trust you if it smells the snake on you.

You realize that Weasels and their relatives generally prey on snakes and not the other way around?
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blitzstrike » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Yes I do but the petstore down the road learned this the hard way. All they have are Marshall ferrets and the moment someone held a snake and then a ferret, the poor thing did its best to run from them and when they cornered it and tried to pick it up, it bit them which is highly uncommon for Marshall ferrets.
ImageImage
Blitzstrike

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queen of the Kings » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:28 pm

Blitzstrike wrote:I'm getting my first ferret tomorrow! Eeeee I am so excited! He's $150 with cage and all. He has all of his shots, has been fixed, litter trained, and is a year old. We went to meet him today and now I miss him like crazy!

Have you gotten him/her yet? How many are you getting? You'll have to post a pic of the little guy ^-^
Queen of the Kings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:39 pm

I really hate that in the US you're only options are pretty much owner rehome, mill, or a breeder breeding for fancy colors and coats, ignoring health. :l
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scythe. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:51 pm

I currently don't own a ferret, but my aunt does. Her name is Cocoa, but we call her Kokomo or just Momos. She's never bitten anyone, and she's about 2 years old. Ahh, I love her, I wish I was responsible enough to own one... XD
scythe.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me