The Great Ferret Alliance

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Great Ferret Alliance

Postby Raven_Wolf » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:27 am

olivionary wrote:
    So I still live with my parents, but I’ve saved enough for the upfront cost of ferrets and can afford vet bills. They’ve been chill with Rats, Hamsters and Mice, but not Ferrets. It is is exclusively because of the smell - note that we have 5 cats and 3 dogs, there is persistent animal smell in our home anyway. I wouldn’t be getting these ferrets until next summer.

I intend to use fleece cage liners and wash them weekly with weekly wipe downs of the entire cage, as well as litter train the Ferrets to clean multiple times daily. I also plan to buy an air purifier and use a pet deodoriser for any carpets that they may touch while free roaming and general use. I’ve also read that feeding an appropriate diet helps to reduce smell, thus will be exclusively feeding raw. I plan to either spay or use a hormonal implant, which I have read also reduces smell.

Beyond doing all of this, is there anything else I can do to convince my family that the smell isn’t actually all that bad? I’m set on Ferrets and nothing else really fits what I want out of *my* next pet. I plan to buy from a local breeder who invited us to visit, but her set up is entirely different to my intended one (sheds with multiple ferrets outside), so the smell wouldn’t be comparable. It’s just disappointing that ‘smell’ is the only reason I’m not allowed to keep Ferrets.

There is really only ever a smell if you don't keep up on cleaning. That being said, all of my fur babies are fixed. The males will always have a bit of a musky odor no matter what, but if it weren't for the fact that my female was housed with my males, I don't think she would smell at all. I have found that a lot of people have this preconceived concept that ferrets just stink. So does a cats litterbox if you don't change it. It's about the care you take of your animal, not the animal it's self. Also, don't bath more than once or twice a year unless you have to (they get into something). Bathing too much brings out more of the natural oils in their skin and ultimately will make them smell more. I hope this helps and you are allowed to get ferrets. Mine are the joy of my life and I will recommend them as pets to anyone willing to put the time and effort in to having one :D
ImageImage
Raven_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me