The Great Ferret Alliance

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Ferrets!

Postby Leekar » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:57 am

Ferrets are super amazing. :D I've owned eight in total and currently have four, three males and one little bitty female.

That's one of my boys, Riker. :) I think ferrets are right up there with dogs for me, I couldn't imagine not having one in my life now!
Leekar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queen of the Kings » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:02 am

Pendragon wrote:Ferrets!! I have three. We're lucky in the UK because they are pretty cheap xP
Merlin, an albino male. He's the most human-loving of all three. He is so good natured, cuddly and super cheeky. He was for free because he was supposed to be the replacement companion to Ben Jr after his owner took him away for breeding (while he certainly was an idiot who didn't properly care for his animals - it was left to me to clean out both his ferret and Ben Jr, and play with them and he would visit them every week or so, he did breed them for working so they did have a purpose and it wasnt just random), but Ben Jr escaped :/

So we bought Peeka, who is a sable girly, although she is much darker than my other one x]
She's the cheekiest of the lot, and the most energetic! Her favourite thing is running around trying to steal things whereas Merlin's is playing with you and Coco's is chilling out. She was only £20, about 33$. She was bred for working as well (we didn't get her from Merlin's breeder) and was initially raised on an all-rabbit diet (whole rabbit is the best thing for them, hands down).

And then Merlin's breeder called us up and asked if we wanted another ferret as he had one left over from his most recent litter. So we got Coco, at a measly £10 (16$). She was covered in ticks as this breeder was one of those who favour the 'old way' of thinking about ferrets. Well intentioned, but a bit clueless.
She's the softest and most laid back. She likes to climb up on you and lick your ears :P That's the first thing she will do when she's out of the cage.

Here's all three, although they live outdoors now as it's much better for them :3 (artificial light can be bad for them).

And before people start getting worried, no, I do not go ferreting because it kinda grosses me out + startup cost of it.
I still support it though - when done right :)

I wrote a novel xD

Oh my gosh they are so cute! I have to be honest here, I think the kits are cuter than the adults. We, sadly, didn't get our ferrets when they were kits.
She likes to climb up on you and lick your ears :P That's the first thing she will do when she's out of the cage.

That is what mine will do too! If she is impatient and doesn't want to wait for you to take her out, she will climb up onto your shoulders and crawl onto your neck and your back so you can't ever reach her. XD
Queen of the Kings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rubble » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:45 pm

I personally love them and would love to own one but with a puppy it isn't exactly ideal to be getting one at the moment, besides my mum's only reason for not wanting one is they smell. However, my uncle's girlfriend has four who I have visisted often: Nim, Bear, Lily, Oscar and one more but I can't remember it's name. x3 Bear's only seven months old and he's the cheekiest little thing, giving you a nip and then running away. We were all scared of where we step because they were all crawling under the rug.

Also she says the white ones tend to be a little crazier then the browns. True? I'm doubtful but meh.
rubble

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scoopyfrog » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Mockingjay. wrote:
Cardinal wrote:I really hate that in the US you're only options are pretty much owner rehome, mill, or a breeder breeding for fancy colors and coats, ignoring health. :l

Yes, if you have ever heard of Angora ferrets/bunnies, they are almost always bred for making fur coats and they RIP THEIR FUR OUT WHEN THERE CONCIOUS!! I have seen pictures of mills and breeders who just want money and their animals look extremely unhealthy. At least owner rehome is a better choice and they aren't always miserable :(

The whole 'rip fur out while conscious' thing is actually a myth perpetrated by groups like PETA, who actually don't care about animals and just want to profit off of the whole thing. PETA has been found guilty of staging fur farm videos and faking all sorts of horrible things. I personally am very against fur farming, but the fact of the matter is that harvesting fur by ripping while the animal is awake is dangerous for the workers, messy, and damages the pelt, so it's never done. Ever. Also, Angora ferrets and bunnies aren't bred for making fur coats. Domestic ferrets especially are not made into clothing--you're probably thinking of stoats or ermine. Also, Angora fur can be collected and made into clothing, so it's unnecessary to skin them.

On a happier note...

I've had several ferrets. Our first one was named Slinky, but he died of lymphoma about two-three years ago. We then got Princess Peach and Mario (who are siblings), Princess Daisy, Mr. Yellow (who died this year of old age), Pepper, Oscar, Palamalu, Bitty, and Tiki. They all have very distinct colors, personalities, likes, and dislikes. It's very fun to watch them play or interact with each other.
I love collecting critters <3

- Magistream -
ImageImageImageImageImage

- Dragcave -
ImageImageImageImageImage
scoopyfrog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkravenrose » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:49 pm

Well i have 2, Bear Bear (white with black eyes) and AnnaBelle (toy, light sable no mask) Bear is having surgery to remove a mass, wish him luck :)
Trade Tread Here
Free Raffle Tread Here
Looking for this pet!
<----

darkravenrose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queen of the Kings » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:45 am

Bump!
Queen of the Kings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queen of the Kings » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:14 am

darkravenrose wrote:Well i have 2, Bear Bear (white with black eyes) and AnnaBelle (toy, light sable no mask) Bear is having surgery to remove a mass, wish him luck :)

Aww, did it go okay?
Queen of the Kings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crow. » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:12 am

Yes! I own 15 ferrets, with the help of my mum :P They're all really sweet. Most of them we got in the pet shop window!

Currently a few weeks ago my two girls had a litter of baby kits! (Ferrets in baby way known as kit) 2 are 3 weeks old with one eye open. And the other three are only 5 days old :D :D :D :D

I have. Coffee albino white and many other colours of my fuzzys.

I have one called pepsi. Who keeps getting onto the stove while dooking away, Luckily we have built it so he can't get up anymore. Don't ask how he does it.
This is pepsi right here.

Any of you people who are looking for a pet fuzzy. Look into petstores often like in breeding seasons. December is the most often baby kits get in. Wish you all love and fun with your fuzzys! Happy late easter to :P
Attachments
1371385_216337615195112_1337225147_n.jpg
1371385_216337615195112_1337225147_n.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 74 times
Crow.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zalia » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:23 am

Oh my goodness, a ferret thread! <3
I own two ferrets, there names are Duke and Daisy.
(From dukes of hazard, not sure if any of you have watched that movie.)
Duke is an Albino, and really cute. I can't post pictures at the moment, no camera.
One.Two.Three.Four.Five.
Image Image
-----------------
Exenity
|intj| |AAL|

-----------------

You are beautiful.
You are ignorant,
and we are forever.

Image Image
Zalia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queen of the Kings » Thu May 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Keely_Duck wrote:Yes! I own 15 ferrets, with the help of my mum :P They're all really sweet. Most of them we got in the pet shop window!

Currently a few weeks ago my two girls had a litter of baby kits! (Ferrets in baby way known as kit) 2 are 3 weeks old with one eye open. And the other three are only 5 days old :D :D :D :D

I have. Coffee albino white and many other colours of my fuzzys.

I have one called pepsi. Who keeps getting onto the stove while dooking away, Luckily we have built it so he can't get up anymore. Don't ask how he does it.
This is pepsi right here.

Any of you people who are looking for a pet fuzzy. Look into petstores often like in breeding seasons. December is the most often baby kits get in. Wish you all love and fun with your fuzzys! Happy late easter to :P

Now you're making me wish even more I had baby ferrets! XD

We bought our ferrets a new bed a few days ago, and we were thinking that it would just be like a little tiny bed like the one they already had in their cage.

But NO.

When we got it, it was like for a puppy or something way bigger than a ferret. But, it still fit in their cage and so they have been sleeping in this GIGANTIC bed for about a week now. My boyfriend says that we should send it back and they we probably ordered the wrong size, but I just said "Heck no, they look like they live in a bed mansion!"
Queen of the Kings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me