Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Luzien » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:36 am

Crow. wrote:
So, im having a few issues id like some advice on.
Lately when I've been riding I can never seem to keep my heels down at all because my leg is so stiff with the rubber boots, so stiff I feel like a stick walking on legs. Ive worn these boots for awhile but nothings stretching and my feet always slip out of the stirrup because its so hard getting my heel down in these boots, do I switch to a new pair?
Also any tips for helping leg cramps while in trot and my feet slipping out of the stirrups? Im trying to build muscle in my core reigon as its quite hard for me to do a sitting trot mostly just because I havent gotten strong enough to keep it up.

only jumping in shortly.....
whe he boots are not to big and are for ridin, sit nicely on the ground and only slip out of the stirrup iton ...maybe put some antislip spray things on...did forget how the real name is...is a spray you also use in winter on boors^^ or really look for one who do not slip---

and the other...ride without stirrups...go Walking in the hills with your horse- on the ground not riding- but you can go in the hills-forest without stirrups too is alo good...go Swimming it will help too.... always do warmup bevor you even go on the horse, a good stretching, running and suuch is good too..muscle want to be warm and so...and cool down after riding....like 15min for you and your horse bevor and after each riding atleast

and also like an old trainer did say...it is bether to ride with heels lightly up when the seat is right and nice, then pushing them down with all you can and getting a stupid or hurtfull seat for you and your horse....
....sorry when this sound to stupid... im tirred as hell in the Moment not enough sleep...sorry^//^. ...
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:42 am

@Tenturo: Happy (late) birthday to Gus! He's the same age as Heta. :)

@Crow: Stretching before riding helps for the cramps. Sometimes if you are really prone to cramps they say eating magnesium helps. As soon as the colder weather hits, I tend to get quite prone to thigh cramps, especially when picking up canter for some reason. >_< I've found that stretching and also wearing a knee braces made out of fabric that has ceramic material with warming properties(Back On Track) actually helps the cramps.
I'm not 100% sure is your leg/stirrup problem actually because of the boots or something else. Though I also have shoes that I found much more difficult to ride with than my other shoes (ironically the trouble shoes were riding shoes and the other pair was not), so I suppose it could be possible. Rubber will not stretch, so if the shoes are not fitting you right then they never will. As for getting heel down(well to be exact it just needs to be x amount below the vertical aka your toes should not point down), you can try stretching your calves. No stirrup work might help you achive the 'long leg' feel, just remember to 'carry' your feet while without stirrups. Don't let the toes start to point down. The stirrups dropping can also be because of too long stirrups. Like I've noticed that with certain saddles I might need to go shorter than usual so that my stirrups stay on more easily and then with some other saddle it doesn't matter. Honestly the position of the leg seeks to stay in from hip to toe can effect on small things like stirrups dropping. Like if your knees tend to creep up, your feet are likely to loose the stirrups.
Tý got his very own reins (which I feel are super long, even though they were pony size, and maybe bit thinner than I had thought, but they match his bridle) and Heta got some arnica MSM liniment, which at least based on today seemed to work nicely on her hocks. Heta also got clipped again and boy it was about time based on the amount of hair coming off when I went over the once clipped areas with 3mm blade setting. Like I swear the once clipped areas has as much as as they did when I first clipped her and now it felt also much thicker, like the under coat wool had really grown. For moment I was afraid the clipper couldn't handle it when I went over some never clipped areas, but nope cut right through the hair. I also added a clipped stripe under her mane, first I went over with it with a 6mm setting, which didn't look too great and then cut it down to 3 mm, which still looks weird imo...
Before clipping:
After:
Definetly more hair came off this time compared to the first time:
I also think Heta's starting to settle in little more, probably helps she gets to spend the night out as well and there isn't too much bugs around. :) She was feeling quite energetic to ride as well and for warm up I actually cantered her as nothing else felt like she was really listening. But that turned out to be a good decision as rest of the ride she was very good (other than not listening so much the bit) and I even feel like she went at least very nearly clean tolt for good bit. Also the indoor gets it's top layer on Thursday. :D Heta's also getting shod that day, which is great as her hooves are getting way too long. Just keep fingers crossed she's going to be sound after that as we are trying to even her hoof lenght, which apperently has been 5mm uneven for unknown amount of time. She hasn't had any problems, even though techincally she should have. So now that we are attempting to 'fix' it, odd things might happen and worst case scenario she will go lame. Minor case she may loose trot and either one of the canters(as in theory currently her left canter should be easier and better, but it is not).
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Whippet. » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Am opting for riding bareback tomorrow, haven't for a while now and not on this specific horse as she's pretty fizzy and fairly bouncy lol but thought it's about time as I've been riding her for almost 2 years now :D Have trotted and cantered my ponies bareback (in PJ pants lol) but haven't ridden a full size horse bareback in years and years. I've already chosen and older shirt as I have a feeling I'll hit the deck AHAHAHA

edit: I don't give the nutjob enough credit lol although she's got one of the bounciest trots ever, she looked after me and could tell when I was getting unbalanced. Didn't take off once and zero tantrums for a change AHAHAHA Completely different horse! Will be going bareback again this weekend so will hopefully improve more :thumbup:
Formerly princess.a uvu
Whippet.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby APH Italy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Been feeling super stressed lately. I've been trying to get into lessons for at least half a year or more, with no luck. Every time I start talking to a stable they just.... Stop answering me back after awhile. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but it feels like the equestrian world keeps kicking me out. It's incredibly disheartening, and makes me feel as though I'll never be able to be involved with horses. It seems like going to a local college for an Equine Studies degree is my last shot
APH Italy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby steve rogers. » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:41 am

APH Italy wrote:Been feeling super stressed lately. I've been trying to get into lessons for at least half a year or more, with no luck. Every time I start talking to a stable they just.... Stop answering me back after awhile. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but it feels like the equestrian world keeps kicking me out. It's incredibly disheartening, and makes me feel as though I'll never be able to be involved with horses. It seems like going to a local college for an Equine Studies degree is my last shot

keep trying, theres gonna be other barns, and if you cant find a 'big name' stable, look around! look on facebook, even if they only have three horses, keep checking and asking. another thing is, ask the barns why they wont reply, maybe theyre busy etc. im sure theyre not trying to cut you out!
text text text text text text text text text text
steve rogers.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:53 pm

APH Italy wrote:Been feeling super stressed lately. I've been trying to get into lessons for at least half a year or more, with no luck. Every time I start talking to a stable they just.... Stop answering me back after awhile. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but it feels like the equestrian world keeps kicking me out. It's incredibly disheartening, and makes me feel as though I'll never be able to be involved with horses. It seems like going to a local college for an Equine Studies degree is my last shot

What are you asking/telling them and do they say they have no space on lessons or what? Honestly many stable owners have very minimum time to answer mails and phone calls, as they have so many other things to do. So if the matter is not urgent in their oppinion they might be little lazy to reply. ^^; I know it's not really ideal customer service, but thats how it often is. In equestrian world horses tend to come first and people second, even if they are paying customers. Usually start of the season can be little hectic time for riding schools, since they migth need to adjust and change their lesson groups and times. So they might need little time to sort out their continuing riders and figure out can they have more people on certain lessons, before taking on any more new ones, if they can that is.
Either way, hang in there and keep looking up other potential riding places if the ones you've contacted so far don't work out. :)
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby APH Italy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:59 am

Hime wrote:

What are you asking/telling them and do they say they have no space on lessons or what? Honestly many stable owners have very minimum time to answer mails and phone calls, as they have so many other things to do. So if the matter is not urgent in their oppinion they might be little lazy to reply. ^^; I know it's not really ideal customer service, but thats how it often is. In equestrian world horses tend to come first and people second, even if they are paying customers. Usually start of the season can be little hectic time for riding schools, since they migth need to adjust and change their lesson groups and times. So they might need little time to sort out their continuing riders and figure out can they have more people on certain lessons, before taking on any more new ones, if they can that is.
Either way, hang in there and keep looking up other potential riding places if the ones you've contacted so far don't work out. :)

Well they know I'm looking for lessons. When I go to visit potential stables, i usually bring money for a month of lessons, and a list of riding goals so that its very straight forward. There was once I had literally sat through lessons and everything, but facebook said they had seen the message, but never got a call back or a message. The only thing I can think of that might scare people off is the fact I haven't had a proper lesson since elementary school, and the fact I have anxiety. Other than that... I'm not sure. I'm about to send a check in message to my most recent hopeful, since the lady I've been talking to is super nice. Trying to get ahold of the correct admissions counselor for the college I was talking about is proving to be difficult as well-
APH Italy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby steve rogers. » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:34 am

APH Italy wrote:
Hime wrote:

Well they know I'm looking for lessons. When I go to visit potential stables, i usually bring money for a month of lessons, and a list of riding goals so that its very straight forward. There was once I had literally sat through lessons and everything, but facebook said they had seen the message, but never got a call back or a message. The only thing I can think of that might scare people off is the fact I haven't had a proper lesson since elementary school, and the fact I have anxiety. Other than that... I'm not sure. I'm about to send a check in message to my most recent hopeful, since the lady I've been talking to is super nice. Trying to get ahold of the correct admissions counselor for the college I was talking about is proving to be difficult as well-

just a tip, dont go with a list of goals, i know you want to do certain things but if you come in expecting to do a certain thing, and haven't ridden since elementary, theyre probably gonna be offput, does that makes sense?
steve rogers.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby APH Italy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:48 pm

just a tip, dont go with a list of goals, i know you want to do certain things but if you come in expecting to do a certain thing, and haven't ridden since elementary, theyre probably gonna be offput, does that makes sense?

oh no no I've ridden as much as i could, i just havent had a lesson since elementary. and its honestly not that bad, and really only for when they ask what im wanting to learn. bc everything doesnt do them a lot of good. so yknow-
APH Italy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby steve rogers. » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:17 am

APH Italy wrote:

oh no no I've ridden as much as i could, i just havent had a lesson since elementary. and its honestly not that bad, and really only for when they ask what im wanting to learn. bc everything doesnt do them a lot of good. so yknow-

ah! i get where your coming from now <33
steve rogers.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups