Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Albino_ » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:54 am

I had to make the hardest decision and sell my heart horse due to financial problems :c but she left for her new home this past Friday.

But I'm not owning horses again for minimum of 3 years, but, I am now gonna be starting to take cow cutting lessons next week! Ah, so my next horse, will be a cutting horse 🤞 but I get to visit Aurora(my heart horse) at her new home, so im happy for that
x
xxxxxxx
🌿🌿🌿
Alb | she/her | EST
RVS(CDH Barn) CDH Whisps
I am a mother of 2 and work 4
days a week, I own a horse and
a maine coon
🌿🌿🌿
Albino_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *~GECKO~* » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:11 am

CowboyCanine wrote:Hello! I've loved horses since I was a kid and now I'm getting my first lesson and I'm super excited, I just wanted to know how did your first lessons go? Any tips for anxiety or nervousness?

first lessons will be a lot of walking! and turning! and learning the basics :) Nothing really too much to be worried about. You might be super sore after it though, that usually goes away in a couple lessons. I hope you get a good barn! If you don't have your own helmet yet, I'd defo recommend getting one. I way preferred using my own to the ones that were provided by the riding school. Good luck on your first lesson, you'll be hooked right away!
*~GECKO~*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:59 am

Maybe you already had your first lesson in riding... Hope it did go well and was fun!

If not first lessen..
Also with anxiety or nervousness
Maybe come a bit early than normal...learn about the horse you ride, and have a longer grooming time with her/him also to talk with your lesson horse ^^, and talk with the Trainer about your fears and the lesson you will have..

With first lesson, do think about a good warm up and stretching bevor and cool down after...will help a bit against aches in the muscles...warm shower too, that can help.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby huskyhiccups » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:10 pm

Looking for some guidance/advice regarding riding horses with a physical disability.
    I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome type 3/hypermobile type and I want to begin riding lessons. My dream was to own/lease a horse in the far future, but I am trying to think realistically about my situation. I'm reading online on other forums/articles that people with EDS have had to sell their horses and stop riding because of their EDS.
    I currently struggle with limited mobility and strength in my hands/fingers, and I have bad knees; these things will only worsen over time. I don't want to come across whiny or depressive, but losing "normal" bodily functions is really messing with my mental health (working on that in therapy).
    Could I get "specialized" lessons (not sure the right word) to accommodate my disability? I know therapy riding and such exists, but I really want to try out multiple disciplines, especially dressage, for fun and become a better rider. Any tips or stories about other peoples' situations (w/ any physical disability) would be helpful, I think. Thank you for your guys' time ;; ♥
ImageImage
Call me Mew or huskyhiccups! (she/her) ♡
I love
coffee, RuPaul's Drag Race, Smosh, Final Fantasy XIV,
Star Stable, The Sims, Kingdom Hearts, and Danganronpa!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
UR, OMGSR, & old store pet countmy listomy FR
huskyhiccups

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *~GECKO~* » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:06 am

huskyhiccups wrote:
    Looking for some guidance/advice regarding riding horses with a physical disability.
    I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome type 3/hypermobile type and I want to begin riding lessons. My dream was to own/lease a horse in the far future, but I am trying to think realistically about my situation. I'm reading online on other forums/articles that people with EDS have had to sell their horses and stop riding because of their EDS.
    I currently struggle with limited mobility and strength in my hands/fingers, and I have bad knees; these things will only worsen over time. I don't want to come across whiny or depressive, but losing "normal" bodily functions is really messing with my mental health (working on that in therapy).
    Could I get "specialized" lessons (not sure the right word) to accommodate my disability? I know therapy riding and such exists, but I really want to try out multiple disciplines, especially dressage, for fun and become a better rider. Any tips or stories about other peoples' situations (w/ any physical disability) would be helpful, I think. Thank you for your guys' time ;; ♥

hi there !!
i think this comes down to what you're looking for in horses.
if you're looking solely to ride - there should be some options.
if you're looking for a bond with a horse - that opens up options a little more, and keeps the possibility to own in the future. since most of the bonding is done from the ground, you get to experience most of the magic with that.
liberty is also something you may want to look into.
*~GECKO~*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:10 am

@huskyhiccups

Therapeutic riding centers, at least all that I've volunteered at or come into contact with, will definitely accommodate your disability and also your desires to try out specific disciplines! One center I volunteered at was always excited to have someone who wanted to try dressage, because that meant their dressage horse got to do his "special moves"! ;) It gave the horse, Hot Wings, a change from the usual side-walking, slow-moving, gig.

If you reach out to centers near you, I'm sure you'll find at least one who would be happy to help you live your dream!
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sulin » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:23 am

Alright so I have posted on here a couple times before talking about cattle roping, now I still want to do that and plan on doing that soon but now I have a different set of questions that I think I want answered lol

1. I want a Friesian horse. I have heard that they can have skin issues, how true is that?
^ 1.5. And if it is fairly true, does it happen often?
2. Stallions! I heard that any breed of intact male horse can be aggressive, is it a good idea to get one if a stallion is what I want?
3. On average how much can I expect to pay for just the animal itself?

I think that's all I have for now, I have a horse friend IRL and have been asking her other questions too so If I need anything else I will come back an add to it.
(Click my pretty girl, Kashe <3 (above) for my CS safe TH) - Art done by Herrings!
------------------------------------------------------
XXX - Rae / Suli / Spooks | She / Her - XXX
Hi there, I'm Suli / Logan! I have a couple different issues
I'm dealing with currently, so please be patient with me, thank you.
I am a huge fan of MARVEL, TWD, the Witcher, and Good Omens!
I also love GoT, Blacklist, and Supernatural.
- Friends / Acquaintances -
Crow - Jay - Zach - Hyde - Marz-Barz - Temper
- Super Cool People -
Herrings - Rocky - Sweathie - Buzz - Cr0wz
- I Love you all! -
------------------------------------------------------
Sulin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby huskyhiccups » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:29 am

4V0C4D0 wrote:liberty is also something you may want to look into.

oh my gosh, thank you for reminding me of this!! idk why it slipped my mind. definitely something I'll be looking more into <3
sunny*days*ahead wrote:Therapeutic riding centers, at least all that I've volunteered at or come into contact with, will definitely accommodate your disability and also your desires to try out specific disciplines! One center I volunteered at was always excited to have someone who wanted to try dressage, because that meant their dressage horse got to do his "special moves"! ;) It gave the horse, Hot Wings, a change from the usual side-walking, slow-moving, gig. If you reach out to centers near you, I'm sure you'll find at least one who would be happy to help you live your dream!

Definitely will reach out! There's not many near me (extremely rural area) but I'd definitely be willing to drive further if I can find a place willing to accommodate me and let me spend extra time around the horses to make up for the long drive! x)

Thank you both so much for the replies, it means a lot <3
ImageImage
Call me Mew or huskyhiccups! (she/her) ♡
I love
coffee, RuPaul's Drag Race, Smosh, Final Fantasy XIV,
Star Stable, The Sims, Kingdom Hearts, and Danganronpa!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
UR, OMGSR, & old store pet countmy listomy FR
huskyhiccups

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *~GECKO~* » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:27 am

huskyhiccups wrote:
4V0C4D0 wrote:liberty is also something you may want to look into.

oh my gosh, thank you for reminding me of this!! idk why it slipped my mind. definitely something I'll be looking more into <3

i'm super glad! it's so much fun and i'm looking into using it to help my greenie. and the bond you get from it is honestly like no other !! i hope you find a place to experience riding, though, i'm sure you won't have an issue with that !! if you'd like you can keep me updated for sure !
*~GECKO~*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:20 am

Sulin wrote:

1. I want a Friesian horse. I have heard that they can have skin issues, how true is that?
2. Stallions! I heard that any breed of intact male horse can be aggressive, is it a good idea to get one if a stallion is what I want?
3. On average how much can I expect to pay for just the animal itself?

1. I have no personal experience with Fresians, so I can't answer this, but:

2. I'd strongly recommend against a stallion, unless you're well versed in training horses. If you're dead set on it, though, make sure you do lots of research - boarding facilities often won't allow stallions, and many local competitions won't either. Stallions can be great horses in the right hands, but very rarely make good "pets". Finding a trainer or coach that can help you will make a world of difference! Also, you can always geld them - it makes them so much less stressful to handle!
There's so much more information on stallion behavior than I can write here, lol! ;)

3. Prices vary greatly - especially depending on training, breeding, and where you're located. In the US, horses tend to get more expensive the farther north and west you go. An untrained horse is going to be significantly less than one who already rides around well and has no bad habits. Younger horses tend to be cheaper if they haven't been shown much yet, or at all, because they have a lot less predictability.

To put it in perspective - I bought my first horse for $300 online, and he had very little training, and so did I. Lol! The horse I own now, would easily sell for $15k. I have had a few horse jobs and worked under a few trainers! In fact, that's a really good place to start if you are set on wanting a stallion, or a younger horse. :)

I hope all this helps!

ETA: By "pets", I mean they don't do well when babied, or treated like a dog. That's the quickest way to make a nasty stud! ;)
Last edited by sunny*days*ahead on Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me