Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Luzien » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Balmino wrote:
@Me and Grace
So, now that spring is arriving and the sun is beaming out in Britain for once, I've been putting Grace out every other day since we have alternate days for mares and geldings going out in the field. She's been escaping the field by going under the full power electric fence which she just doesn't care about... It DEFINITELY works (found that out for myself) but it simply doesn't bother her. Thankfully when she escapes she just goes into the neighbouring field where the grass is greener, but it's really difficult to get her out since the land around the gate is extremely muddy...
I'd love to hack her out sometime since the weather is improving, but I've never hacked her out before. I know her previous owner did in company. My guess is that she'll bomb off towards somewhere over the rainbow or either not move at all haha, but I'm not too sure what to expect from her. She might surprise me and be a right little gem, but who knows?
Also, happy to announce we have a hackamore now, which Gracie is working perfectly in! No resistance, no more fighting, just happy days! <3

may i ask, if you atleast walked her outside now and then without riding :?:
then it should be no big problem riding her outside, as she knows the area around, and when she is under your control when riding her inside the arena- psture, ..... ;)

most horses, i did ride for the first time, i started like this, handwalking them on the trails, with some i looked already outside after the first half hour- or hour, for a rock or such to go one more easily when i did trust them enough and know that they stay calm, and then did ride them a bit more on the trail or did ride them home when we where away to long (without saddle and bridle, only with halter and two lead ropes^^). but the same i also did sometimes with fully tacked horse that i walked till i got a bether feeling for it when away from a safe arena or such for first time.

im not sure how other do it, so i hope you get more ideas from them ;)

but for me, its more easy to get a good feeling of a new horse or unknown horse....or even my own horse in a unknown new area, from the ground....you see how your horse reacts, how spooked it is from the new things it sees, how easy it will calm down and stop when asked....and so on...

walking is also a good second warm up...after bending and stretching and such for horse and rider^^

but ...when you are unsure because of the first try on the trail...if it walking or riding...then ask a rider with a calm horse to come with you :)
and please...when its the first time out, dont do something faster then trot....sometimes even not that....a nice calm ride in walk is also great and sometimes bether, as your horse learns that even when there is a place to run that it should stay calm when you want this.
(and when she has a lot of temper... you could do a half hour to hour workout in the arena bevor, to get energy out of her)

good luck with whatever you will do, and tell when you really did the first ride with her outside of the fence :D
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ryukrem » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:31 am

hey guys, sorry i haven't been on here much. i've been busy on advanced scribes because i got offered a moderator position c:
    things with alice have been absolutely incredible. the hard work of learning proper flexion the past two-three months has paid off completely. we can hold a proper head carriage now and she's so light in the contact and we have really good moments of self-carriage. funds won't let me show much this summer but i think we are finally ready for first level dressage !! i never thought id be able to say that a few months ago c:

ive also been grooming alice like crazy. shedding season is among us and she is disgustingly dirty and has a ton of dandruff. on sunday i spent an hour grooming and monday and tuesday i did 45 before and after the ride. its paying off and her coat is looking much better. i cant wait until its warm enough to bathe them.

what is everyones plans for this summer?

ryukrem - lesbian - taken <3

prefer to roleplay off site. pm me.

roleplay search
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShortyTheHobbitess » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:51 am

@Summer plans - groundwork, ground driving, grid work, chiropractor. I've noticed in the past that Shorty likes to drag her hind toes a little bit, I went running with her one day last summer & there were drag marks from her back feet. More ground driving, I'd like to see if I can get her just a bit more independent & not relying on me quite as much, also ground driving is just fun to do.
-------
I'm just having so much fun with Posha, I absolutely love him. It'll be hard after Saturday (last day of show), to not see him every evening. These last few days have been focused mostly on just grooming what I'm allowed to, to try & make him look less like a wooly mammoth. We will bath tomorrow afternoon & then have a practice run in the arena that night. Last night I was shaving some of the hair on his front left, the stinker reached around & tried to nibble on my hair! Like I realize my hair looks like straw, but it's quite different than straw. I ended up having to keep my free hand up to fend off his searching little muzzle :roll:

Looking for: any date

Sit tall in the saddle;
hold your head up high. Keep your eyes fixed
where the trail meets the sky,
and live like you ain't afraid to die. And don't be scared,
just enjoy your ride.
ShortyTheHobbitess

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby brindle. » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm

i had a dressage with my halflinger tonight
      we did shoulder ins, and a lot of extended trot diagonals (he's
      really bad at those) in all he was super spooky, not sure why but
      i mean he's a pony so?

my first show of the year is june 4th, me and Stew are gonna do
      training one and two, I'm excited.

I'm also riding a perch x tb grey for his owner while she's on vacation
      rode him last wednesday and he was super good, i was excited (he's so
      tall, about 16.2-17hh) and yeah

those are my only updates,,,,,, OH WAIT
      i almost forgot, dover is doing a tent sale and you can get super cheep stuff
      so guess who's getting some show pants (white full-seats breeches) a show shirt,
      probably a hair net, and a new show halter because... well? I'm broke and need
      stuff being honest.

©

Ω▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
┌─────────────────────┐

'ello I'm not going to go by my real
name on here, so just call me alex xx
i ride horses, and own a few
im bisexual and confused about life
i love broadway musicals

└─────────────────────┘
ImageImage
┌─────────────────────┐
link - link - link - link - link - link - link

└─────────────────────┘
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬Ω▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬Ω
┌──────────────┐

farouche / shy
honestly I'm a disappointment
space / tb gelding
cassie / qh x tb mare
mira / warmblood mare
eli / halflinger gelding

└──────────────┘

brindle.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spring. » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:54 pm

mini rant for today

so a few days ago i rode a horse who is extraordinarily green for my trainer. she asked me to ride her because i'm not scared to make a horse do it's job and her owner isn't the type to make a horse work. so i got on to ride her and i start asking the horse to move and she won't. so her owner is walking around with me and will not walk off and let me work the horse. so finally when she does the horse starts acting up. i threaten to give her horse a tap with the crop and the owner starts getting upset that i'm going to beat her horse. like, no. i'm telling your horse who is in charge because for some reason she thinks i'm not in charge. and plus my trainer told me to not be afraid to get after the horse because she will not respond to leg without crop reinforcement. my trainer knows that horse as she's had her from the get go, so i'm gonna listen to my trainer, not someone who told me she bought the horse, doesn't really know how to ride, and has made her horse into a total brat on the ground. i'm sorry, but I've been on horses for thirteen years and I've been on greenies and brats for about five. it's funny because her owner left the ring for a bit and i made that horse do exactly what i wanted to do when i wanted her to.

// mini rant over.

anyways, i had a break from riding and i came back to riding three horses so that was fun! one greenie, one sort of greenie (she doesn't have the best sight and is a kicker, an advanced beginner type horse when not alone), and one horse who is made but he is always a great ride. needless to say a lot of muscles hurt after but i am not complaining. it's been too long.
spring.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Miavinn » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:01 am

SPACEI am currently at a cross roads in my riding. For almost 2 years, I have been working with a now 19 year old Anglo Arab gelding. He is not bad by any means. Never bucked, reared, or run away with me, all spooks have been little jumps or shies. We have competed in over 6 events together.
    SPACEI got him in April of '15 and a few weeks later we competed at my USPC region's Eventing Rally at the beginner novice level. He had been a foxhunter for 8 years and I soon found out that this horse had no basis with dressage. He couldn't even hold 1/2 a circle at a walk when we first started. We scored low 40s on all our dressage tests, and our most recent one back in mid-March was a 39.7 (keep in mind this is the eventing kind of scoring where the lower the score, the better). The people I ride with or am in acquaintance with score lows 30s, high 20s, and occasionally low 20s (at least that's what I see). Jumping wise, he has always been capable, the in-between the fences is what we've had to work on. After the Eventing rally, we competed in 2 events that fall and another in the spring of '16, all at the novice level. May of '16, Eventing rally rolled around again and by some miracle, we qualified for Eastern USPC Champs for the following summer. At that show, he was perfect in the dressage warmup, but after a 10 minute walk break was breaking and throwing his head up every few seconds. Evidently, the dressage test did not go well. XC on the other hand went really well, no refusals, stops, or penalties of any kind. The next day was SJ and that didn't go well either. He was really hot in the warmup, and I, still and inexperienced rider, did not communicate to my trainer (who I'd never worked with before now) what my horse needed to do in order to chill out. That round was our worst ever at a show. He didn't stop or refuse, but the distances were all wonky and we pulled rails. That fall we didn't compete any, instead, I chose to work on our dressage. I took lessons throughout the fall and winter, mostly jumping and flatting at home. We were consistently jumping 3'.
    SPACEIn September, my mom drove up to WV to pick up an OTTB, my next horse. She had 2 months off before I rode her. This mare is super sweet, but knows absolutely nothing. There was no steering on her. Even basic pull on left rein, horse goes left was foreign. She does not understand that kicking means go, none of it. Her manners need fixing as well (personal space and general quietness on the ground). We have a long way to go before we're gonna be ready to go anywhere. She's now better at steering, but admittedly, I have not worked with her as much as I should have. She is very willing, but extremely attached to her buddy, another mare we own, which makes riding at home a bit difficult because she is easily distracted.
    SPACENow, about me. I am a high schooler in an early college program. My classes consist of 4 college classes, all demanding. I was and am not a professional rider, and I myself am still learning, but do consider myself intermediate and do work with various trainers. I am a C2 level pony clubber (if anyone knows what that is ^^), 3rd highest in my club. I prioritize schoolwork because that has a timeline and what I'm posting here about is opinions on what path I should take with my riding. Once I pick a path, I will be able to commit. I just need to decide what to do. However, I only have 2 1/2 years left before college. Riding may be possible then, but I don't know yet. I do not intend to go into the horse profession, but do want to keep them in my life.

These are the paths:
    1) Continue working with the anglo arab (call him T). Event him at the novice level at Eventing rally in May and attempt to qualify for Champs again this year. If we qualify, go to Champs. However, we will probably find a new home for him after (he is a PC lease horse). The OTTB (call her O), will be worked with when there is time and focused on after Champs.
    2) Work with T and still take lessons and participate in PC. Mainly ride O and take her to Festival (3 day clinic in Kentucky) this summer. Festival begins the day after Champs ends, both run by USPC and in the same place.
    3) Rehome T now if possible and work with O. Will do lots of lessons and maybe small schooling shows with her and go to Festival.
    4) Something else. Suggestions?

The main problem is that I would like to rate up to my C3-HB level over the summer. This would be after Champs/Festival. There is a riding portion (3' 3" jumping + flatwork) and a big knowledge portion. All oral testing. I will need a horse for that.

Thank you for reading this big chunk and any advice is appreciated!

tolter barns | groveclan | buttermilks

updates ;;
life is busy
contact me on discord
miavinn#3230

Miavinn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fortunea » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:43 am

Quick question~
Any tips on getting horses to bend the right way? Or getting a younger horse to concentrate on what I'm asking him to do? It just seems to be a problem getting the pony I'm riding to concentrate, and he especially won't bend on the left rein. He's not done much flatwork, just basics. Thanks. c:
:)
Fortunea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Balmino » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Fortunea wrote:Quick question~
Any tips on getting horses to bend the right way? Or getting a younger horse to concentrate on what I'm asking him to do? It just seems to be a problem getting the pony I'm riding to concentrate, and he especially won't bend on the left rein. He's not done much flatwork, just basics. Thanks. c:

Sounds to me like he's stiff on the left rein. Do you flex his neck before you get on him? Flexing really helps to soften the horse to your reins and loosens up their neck muscles. Circles help: When you're riding him, use your inside leg to push him around the circle and slowly use your inside rein to turn but half halt with the outside rein. (Imagine he's bending around your inside leg). This just asks the horse to bend his neck as he turns.
Lots of groundwork and lunging (especially backing up and away from you WITH EFFORT) ensures the horse listens to you and pays attention.
Grace used to have a very short attention span - lots of groundwork such as backing, moving hindquarters/forequarters and joining up improved this and she quickly began to pay attention to me.
Also, making sure your riding work is not too repetitive helps. I often put poles out to give Grace something to think about, but direct transitions and lots of circles, serpentines, figures of eight help a huge amount since the horse cannot predict what you are going to ask him to do next.
Good luck!

@Luzien - Thank you for your response! <3 She's only been walked down the trail a couple of times but she does tend to get tense and nervous, but I'm sure having another horse around her would help a huge amount.
✯My DA✯
✦I am not active on this site - messages will take a while to get back to!✦
✯My Art Shop✯
✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦
ImageImage
✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦
♥♡♥♡♥♡
♥♡♥♡
♥♡
Balmino

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:28 am

@Summer plans: Hmmm... For starters I'm trying to get a summer job to help out my financial situation(so far no luck, so I'm getting quite nervous) and then I have one summer course from school(most of it is online lectures/recordings). I'm pondering on picking up either beginner level Icelandic language course or some genetics/biochemistry stuff from summer university. But lot will depend on the job situation, as no job no money no extra studies or extra horse fun. :c On more horse related note, depending how things go with Heta and well, my money situation, I hope I could enter into one practice/training show. But there's lot of ifs involved in that plan. I also think I will be starting to ride Tý myself sometime during summer. Another big if is traveling. I may have applied as a camp supervisor for international youth camp, organised by FEIF(which is the main Icelandic horse association), in Belgium. It's been couple weeks already since the application period closed and I've yet to hear did I get the position or not... -__-
So basically my whole summer is still giant mess of ifs...

@Biminy: How I see things is that you need to figure out what is your goal with your riding and which horse can get you there, short and long termly thinking. If you want that C3-HB this summer, then you have probably better chance in getting there with T than you'd have with O. How ever if you plan on keeping O, I'd try get as much work done with her as you can before you are off to college. T is also getting on with the years, so long term thinking vise it's smart to start working with younger horse now before giving up the more experienced horse. Even if that means having to work two horses for year or two. But if you feel like you are too busy to fully work with two horses, then I'd maybe pick O over T, since she's your future horse and it won't do her any good to just loiter around unworked.

@Fortunea: Play with the inside rein a little, possibly use leading rein, sort of block him little with you inside leg, keep contact and support with the outer rein. Starting to teach him baby versions of lateral work probably wouldn't hurt either. If he's stiff and bending is new concept to him it might take him a while to pick it up, so patience is key as well. Concentration is tricky, usually I'd keep the horse's brain busy by changing up the tasks and not doing same patterns and repeating things at same spots. And don't demand too much for too long, young horses don't always have the best attention span and patience, and if you ask too much of them there's risk that things won't go nice.
First I had to re-do Heta's mane. I removed the rubber bands last week, since apparently silicone bands have use life of about two weeks before they start to break appart, and then during this week most of Heta's mane had decided to return to the left side... Then long reined her and she was pretty good after she warmed up properly. Little difficulties in getting her actually honestly bending, since while riding I do need quite bit of inside leg to keep her in check, but she did well enough. She's been also getting used to the idea of cantering while long reined. It's far from perfect in almost every way, but at least she seems to pick correct lead almost everytime much to my surprise. :lol: To right she's stays in canter okay and it's fairly easy to get her to pick it up, but to left it's definetly harder and I have to be happy if I manage to keep her in canter through 2 corners.

Then I got to ride a pony. Yes, an actual pony this time. I did ride him couple times last summer and now R said I'm free to ride him when ever I please if he's not coming to a lesson, since they hope to get him back into shape for summer camp season. He's tricky pony, but we worked quite fine last year, so I got on without too much concern. And boy was I wrong. Honestly even while I was tacking up I felt he was bit on the edge today and when I got on he was bit antsy when I tried to adjust my stirrups etc. Then while walking he started staring things and generally felt like I didn't have his attention. I rode him in walk for bit and did some circles and direction changes. Then I tried some trot and boy that did not work out. Lets just say everytime I tried trot he tried to rush off, bucked, ran off, you know the general naughty pony. Though I think he wasn't even trying to really get me off. I mean I know he can do that as he's quite known for getting people off when he wants to. The thing with him is, it's usually something about the rider that sets him off(he's quite sensitive and skilled pony really, so hard/unstable hand or very bouncy rider is a big no no to him) and as it had been quite long time since I last rode him, I suppose I didn't have his buttons quite right(or he just decided to test me out, he does that sometimes as well). Eventually I did figure out couple mistakes of my own(too much leg, too unstable seat) and I did lenghten my stirrups by one hole, after which suddenly things started to settle heck lot faster. So in the end I got him trotting nicely couple big circles and then after some walking called it quits as this pony hasn't been ridden much and I really didn't want to push my luck with him after such bad start. I guess lately I've been more used to riding Heta who's bit of a slowpoke and my recent work with her has required bit harder aids to get them through, but now I need to switch back to really soft ones when I'm riding that pony.

Feykja got to come out of paddock to be groomed and munch her extra feed(much to her dislike there was vitamin supplement in it, which she still doesn't like, so almost half was left uneaten...). She's been without her mommy now for two weeks I think, and I think they've both settled nice. Like today I didn't hear Feykja make any sound when I worked with Heta. She does apparently still hand around by the gate from where she can see into Heta's paddock, but that's about it now.

Tý also got to come out of the paddock. Poor boys have literally been iced in their paddock, since it's down a slope, which has been shaded enough with all the melting waters running down, making it very icy and slippery for past couple months. Even the front/gate area of the boys' paddock got iced really bad. So no safe way of getting barefooted young horse out of there really(unless L would have gotten ton of sand). :c But now that the ice is gone we can get the two out of there when needed. Tý's very much due a trim(as is Feykja), which I hope we can organise next week just before easter holiday starts. He has calmed down even more over the winter and only issue I really have with him is that he's so darn attatched to that best friend of his it's ear spliting to have them appart. Literally. Like I took Tý inside our lower stable, which is old and made of stone. He could still hear his friend calling him from their paddock and of course he had to answer, which could be then heard outside. I mean he was kinda cool when I was with him, but he did have to do two stress poops before he sort of settled. :roll: I had him tied just in case, though he wasn't really that antsy, but the neighing I couldn't do much about... But he did let me mess with his mane nicely and I got is nicely divided(fingers crossed it stays without bands) and detangled. I honestly thought it would be a bigger mess that it was, so I guess my little effords here and there have helped out. The very tips of his forelock though were kinda hard to sort, since they reach about his nose now and he was fed psyllium during last week along with some linseed, so naturally he had dipped those forelock tips in that goo feed... -__- He's also the oddest of my three when it comes to shedding. Like just last week I though he had finally started to really shed, but today not much hair came off. Heck even Heta's shedding more than him I think, and generally she had less hair I think and I groom her lot more...

That's only half of his mane actually. ;)

Oh, almost forgot. L's chickens had chicks this week and there's currently 9 of them and they are freakishly adorable little easter chicks. :mrgreen: And there will be puppies running around hopefully in June/July, which is bad since I love the planned the combination, but I have no hope on getting puppy anytime soon. ;__;
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby brindle. » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:49 am

might be moving barns
have no clue how to tell my current trainer....
any advice?

©

Ω▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
┌─────────────────────┐

'ello I'm not going to go by my real
name on here, so just call me alex xx
i ride horses, and own a few
im bisexual and confused about life
i love broadway musicals

└─────────────────────┘
ImageImage
┌─────────────────────┐