Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
4%
Pigeons
14%
Bantams
19%
Other
8%

Total votes : 467

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby Gà. » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:54 am

MaineiacJay wrote:The dark brown is from my black copper marans/ameraucana (im kinda sad she isn't laying olive), the pinkish brown is from another marans/ameraucana. The 2 tans are from my silkies and the blue is from my ameraucana/EE (hen was an ameraucana, too was a big golden EE. I still have another EE pullet at the same age as the other laying EEs i think out of the same clutch as the girl laying the blue egg. And then 2 more younger ones that i don't really know the breeds of. All i know is they watched from blue eggs lol.

I still have some other breeds too. Ill get my white eggs from my silver laced and blue splash wyandottes and silver polish. The only colors im missing are green and olive. I guess i could still get a green egg from one of my other girls, but I doubt ill get an olive egg, so that's a bummer. But i like my variety :)

That's so awesome! I wish we had some blue layers :,( oh well, lol. I like my big ol' geese eggs.

I thought Wyandottes layed brown eggs....? That's all I ever got from my wyans.but polish lay white eggs, I know that much xD
Gà.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:37 pm

lol yeah, they do. i meant brown from the wyandottes, white from the polish :roll: i was at work when i posted that (hence the spell check problems - too = roo, watched = hatched)

oh, and here is our most recent double yolker. we had to cut a slit in the top of the carton because it wouldnt fit.

Birthday: July 13 | Anniversary: September 18
Welcoming our daughter 1/7/19 ❤
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fjäll Räven » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Hey, so my Wellsummer has been laying for a little over two months now and her eggs really arnt that dark.
They are darker than my Cochins and JG eggs but no where near the chacolate brown that I see on online images.
I'm wondering, is it seasonal like with Marans? Do I just have to wait for the pigment to show?
Hoarding:
Fjäll Räven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:14 am

MaineiacJay wrote:The dark brown is from my black copper marans/ameraucana (im kinda sad she isn't laying olive), the pinkish brown is from another marans/ameraucana. The 2 tans are from my silkies and the blue is from my ameraucana/EE (hen was an ameraucana, roo was a big golden EE. I still have another EE pullet at the same age as the other laying EEs i think out of the same clutch as the girl laying the blue egg. And then 2 more younger ones that i don't really know the breeds of. All i know is they hatched from blue eggs lol.

I still have some other breeds too. Ill get my white eggs from my silver polish and more brown eggs from my silver laced and blue splashed wyandottes. The only colors im missing are green and olive. I guess i could still get a green egg from one of my other girls, but I doubt ill get an olive egg, so that's a bummer. But i like my variety :)

I'd take the Black Copper Marans/Ameraucana that's laying the dark brown eggs and cross her with your best EE rooster. The one with the darkest blackest/bluest legs and best pea comb and EE fluff. That should get you a nice Olive Egger hen.
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:52 am

i only have 2 EE roos, Stumpy and Afro. Afro is a silkie/ameraucana so he doesnt have the fluff or the pea comb. Stumpy has both but hes got pretty light colored legs. i did get an EE roo in my batch from murray mcmurry (mystery chick) but he is a long ways off from breeding and that would put us at 6 roos

ADD: went outside to check on the chickens a few minutes ago and found my oldest wyandotte dead. i noticed earlier today she had her wings held away from her body but when i opened up the pen, she ran out with the others. i dont know what could have caused it :thumbdown: i had an outbreak of coccidia about 4 months ago and i had to treat the water for a while. i hope its not that again, im not finding any signs of it and the only new bird i have gotten was Furby, but she wasnt even with the big chickens. i suppose ill treat the water again starting tomorrow. im so sad. i hate losing animals and apparently its quite normal for chickens to just drop dead :(
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spaceferrari » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:02 am

D: I'm sorry to hear about your Wyandotte! I was looking into getting a bunch of them to start out.
One of my electives this year an Independent Art class. Besides assigned projects, I get to do some of my choice as well. I had the (brilliant?) idea of caricaturing my classmates- as chickens! I've got a bunch of little pen sketches in my drawing pad. I think I'll draw my teachers as other poultry, too! Does anyone else find that clever? Even a little?
I know every bird has its own distinct personality and habits. However, most breeds can be described in certain ways - gentle, flighty, noisy, aggressive - what are you guys' favorite breeds? Do you prefer active or calm birds?
I'm mostly curious, but I'm trying to figure out what breeds to use in my project. ^^ Thanks in advance.
breonna taylor.
spaceferrari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gà. » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Space Ferrari wrote:
D: I'm sorry to hear about your Wyandotte! I was looking into getting a bunch of them to start out.
One of my electives this year an Independent Art class. Besides assigned projects, I get to do some of my choice as well. I had the (brilliant?) idea of caricaturing my classmates- as chickens! I've got a bunch of little pen sketches in my drawing pad. I think I'll draw my teachers as other poultry, too! Does anyone else find that clever? Even a little?
I know every bird has its own distinct personality and habits. However, most breeds can be described in certain ways - gentle, flighty, noisy, aggressive - what are you guys' favorite breeds? Do you prefer active or calm birds?
I'm mostly curious, but I'm trying to figure out what breeds to use in my project. ^^ Thanks in advance.

I like Cochins, my rooster was awesomely calm, the hen was a bit more wild. I love that idea.
Here's some ideas :
Leghorns are very wild, but also tend to be very smart
Cochins are calmer, and tend to be slower
Silkies are stupid. Lol. Sorry, but they're just stupid. EXTREMELY sweet and motherly
Barred rocks tend to be highest ranking (so popular people), and a bit bullying
Rhode Island reds are bullies.
If there's anyone who's considered flashy, pheonix, ohikis, & onagadori are all very flashy (and just wonderful) birds. Ohikis & onagadori are rare, onagadori being very rare, pheonix are more common.
Orpingtons are very sweet, and calm as well. They also are good mothers (as are Cochins)

If you're having any issues getting a 'good' chicken for your classmates, just kinda describe them and we should be able to find a few good chickens who fit the criteria ;)
Gà.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fjäll Räven » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Uh! I have an OEGB that hurt and sitting in my room. -_-'
I like my birds, but they need to be outside. This hen has an overwhelming smell.
Hoarding:
Fjäll Räven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:12 pm

I do agree with the silkies being stupid lol. They are a favorite of mine, but they really are not smart birds. My chickens hop the 5' fence and everyone can get back in except for one of the silkies. We call her the "retarded silkie" (i hope nobody takes offence to that). She just sits herself next to the pen door and waits for one of us to go put her in the coop lol
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gà. » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:14 pm

MaineiacJay wrote:I do agree with the silkies being stupid lol. They are a favorite of mine, but they really are not smart birds. My chickens hop the 5' fence and everyone can get back in except for one of the silkies. We call her the "retarded silkie" (i hope nobody takes offence to that). She just sits herself next to the pen door and waits for one of us to go put her in the coop lol

LOL, Im not sure if its because they can't see well,or because they're just stupid. But they are just such sweethearts :3
Gà.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me