Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
4%
Pigeons
14%
Bantams
19%
Other
8%

Total votes : 468

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby 'Possum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:49 am

CrazyChickenLady wrote:Yup, that sounds like it'll work perfectly!

Ugh. My brain-damaged roo is not getting better, it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to cull. Which really sucks, because this guy was my first rooster... luckily, now I have about four other "accident" roos I just loved to much to get rid of, so I won't be that lonely... but this guy, Tom Cruise, was always my baby. I'm going to give him two more days.

That is a shame. I have one I feel that way about as well. My crossbeak EE rooster, Peedles. He is just such a snuggly sweetie. As far as your poor guy, it could be a concussion which should start to show improvement after a few days. Sort of like brain damage in people. They can improve. If he does I'd give him a chance. But if he's no different than he was right after his injury this many days later, it might be time to consider putting the poor guy out of his misery, no matter how hard. You definitely seem like a compassionate person who does indeed have their pets' best interest at heart. Though it's going to be terrible to lose him. At least he won't be suffering anymore as it seems like he obviously might be. We've all gotta make decisions like this at times. Considering quality of life over quantity.
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pantelope » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:42 am

I never understood the appeal/purpose of bantams until we got some. Wow they are such characters! Our Ameraucanas are still my favorites though, I believe. They're sassy and have a strange propensity for laying double-yolk eggs. One of them, Olive, has a double-yolked egg about 1/5 times. I've asked people about this and the general consensus was that some hens are genetically more likely to have them the same way some women are more likely to have twins. Anyone else have experience with these "double yolkers"?

Edit because I never posted a form:
Username: Pantelope
Why are you joining: I own several chickens.
Favorite poultry bird: Ameraucanas and Barred Rocks are my favorite chickens. I love ducks as well but don't own any myself.
Other: Nice to meet you all!
Last edited by Pantelope on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pantelope

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fjäll Räven » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:47 am

I get double yolkers now and again.
My Silver Laced Wyandotte makes them every few weeks. Americans seem to lay them commonly, but mine are stull pullets so only time will tell.
Hoarding:
Fjäll Räven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:38 am

i had a double yolker from a silkie, and ive had a few from my marans/ameraucana hen. her last one was a monster of an egg, it hurt just looking at the thing!
Birthday: July 13 | Anniversary: September 18
Welcoming our daughter 1/7/19 ❤
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pantelope » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:44 am

Interesting to hear it's somewhat common! And oh yes, they can get huge. This one was so big the carton wouldn't close, poor little hen.
Pantelope

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fjäll Räven » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:02 am

Yeah. haha. ^^
I feel really bad for my SLW pullet. She had only been laying for a week or two when she made her first double yolker.
Hoarding:
Fjäll Räven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:17 am

MaineiacJay wrote:so i finally got the time to sit down and try filing Furbys beak down. i used my hubbys dremmel on a medium setting. she was pretty fidgety but i got both top and bottom back to the quick. ill wait a little bit before doing it again but i think if i can grind it back just a little bit more, her lower mandible should be just shorter than the upper and may help her close her beak better. i took her out and gave them new food and she looked to be eating with more enthusiasm than she had been, so im hoping this helps her. and she took it like a trooper!

and yes, she looks like a drowned rat because its raining today lol. did make it easier to see her beak though!

Aww! She does look slightly drowned. I can imagine it did make it easier to see what you were doing though without all that fluffy getting in the way. XD She looks good.
I did Peedles' beak again last night as well. Looks better than before. I think I'm definitely going to keep up with the weekly trimming for a few more weeks. Then maybe cut it back to once a month or so when I get his beak back into the shape I want it and see how that goes. I'm not sure how quickly their beaks actually grow. How long should I go between trimmings for simple maintenance...

I want to post a pic of Peedles on here but realized I don't have any that don't have my daughter, his "Mommy"'s face in them. And forum rules forbid posting of any pictures with people in them. :|

His beak looks alot like your Silkie's right now though. Same kind of twist to the bottom that just throws it out enough to make eating and drinking difficult.
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:41 am

got our first blue egg today! excited!! below are the eggs we get now.

MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:45 am

MaineiacJay wrote:got our first blue egg today! excited!! below are the eggs we get now.

Nice! And congrats on your first blue egg. Mine are still at least six months off. (Gave up on hatching from my Aunt's EE's and ordered EE pullets from Cacklehatchery. The little fluffies are a week old today)

THAT is what my goal is right there in that picture. An assortment of gorgeous colors. From the dark chocolate from our Welsummer babies to the light brown and cream from the Speckled Sussex and Orpingtons, to the bright white Leghorn eggs. And what ever color the EE eggs turn out to be, be it green, olive, blue, whatever. They'll throw the finishing touch on the basket. ^_^
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:47 am

The dark brown is from my black copper marans/ameraucana (im kinda sad she isn't laying olive), the pinkish brown is from another marans/ameraucana. The 2 tans are from my silkies and the blue is from my ameraucana/EE (hen was an ameraucana, roo was a big golden EE. I still have another EE pullet at the same age as the other laying EEs i think out of the same clutch as the girl laying the blue egg. And then 2 more younger ones that i don't really know the breeds of. All i know is they hatched from blue eggs lol.

I still have some other breeds too. Ill get my white eggs from my silver polish and more brown eggs from my silver laced and blue splashed wyandottes. The only colors im missing are green and olive. I guess i could still get a green egg from one of my other girls, but I doubt ill get an olive egg, so that's a bummer. But i like my variety :)
Last edited by MaineiacJay on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me