The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby windsorblue17 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:04 pm

n e m o wrote:
Thanks! ^_^ <3

That cage up top is their new travel cage but I leave it open because Spock in specific loves to climb up there and play in that cage... strange little creature.

If I even leave the top door open for a single second my ratties are up there and in their carrier.

I only use it to transport them to the bathroom when I take showers/baths. They love to run around the bathroom, and do daily activities with me. XD Rats are strange creatures.
windsorblue17

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby n e m o » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Lol, I wish my bathroom was rodent proofed!
Mine opens into my closet and bedroom with no door so that wouldn't be too fun for me. xD;

I edited my previous post but you're too quick. ;P
--------------------------------------------------------------------
v i s i t . m y . c h a r a c t e r . t h r e a d ?
v i s i t . m y . W M E . t h r e a d ?
v i s i t . b l o o m . d a p p l e . a d o p t s ? [ c l o s e d ]

ImageImage
n e m o

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby samm. » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Ah, I love that new thread smell! x3

So, I've owned rodents before but have never got into them as much as I have this year. I owned a hamster before, his name was Buddy and I do believe he was a teddy bear hamster. I was only seven when I had him, and he ended up biting me and I wanted nothing more to do with him after that so my parents re-homed him. After that I stayed away from rodents until I was around twelve, then I got a pair of male rats. I had them for almost a year before having to re-home them due to financial issues my family was having at the time.

Then, the beginning of this year, I got interested in mice. I did a ton of research on them, their diets, housing, health problems they are prone to, literally anything and everything about mice that I needed to know. When I thought I was ready, I went out and got a pair and have been hooked ever since! I currently own seven mice, three females and four males. I have no plans on breeding any of my current mice, but once they pass away I would like to start some type of small mousery, though I am still unsure.

I have plans on getting a pair of dwarf male rats, though I still need to research a bit more, and need to save up the money to buy the cage I want, the critternation. I'm hoping my parents will get it for my birthday, which is coming up in about three months. I keep telling them that if they get it for me, i'll never ask for another birthday, or Christmas, present again xP

╔════════════════════════════╗
elliot / ellie, or sam | genderfluid | he/they
single | polyromantic demisexual | polyam
omnist | covenless witch | scorpio / ox
infp-t | chaotic good | poet | listo

╚════════════════════════════╝

samm.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby n e m o » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Would you mentor under someone when breeding mice? What would be your goals?

I hope your parents help you get that cage, as I've said before it's awesome. c:
v i s i t . m y . c h a r a c t e r . t h r e a d ?
v i s i t . m y . W M E . t h r e a d ?
v i s i t . b l o o m . d a p p l e . a d o p t s ? [ c l o s e d ]

ImageImage
n e m o

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:33 pm

hello , i dont own any rodents currently [ as i am going to be moving to a rental soon , so no animals for me :c ] , but i have owned 3 hamsters & 3 ratties in the past .
    the rats were mozart - a seal point siamese [ w/ ruby eyes ] fancy, junie - same coloring & variety of mozart , & pepper - a black english irish dumbo . mozie & junie were rescues , while pepper was from a breeder .
    as for the hamsters , i all had them when i was mostly young. they were pineapple - a teddy bear hamster , cutie pie - a chinese dwarf , & val / valentine [ was valentine . i got her from a friend , only to find out that this girl was a guy ~ ] - a robovorski dwarf .

i have my eyes set on a breeder i found nearby - she seems to have her goals & stock going in the right direction , & they are very socialized & all vet-checked, so that is whom i hope to get my next set of girls from ;u; i am also planning on getting the signle critter nation [ beautiful set-up nemo , by the way ! i can't wait to decorate mine & put pretty fleeces cx ] . i plan on asking for it for my birthday , haha !

& timber , i am trying to learn rat colors , markings , & variations myself , & after scrolling through a few websites i think yours might be ; platinum , powder blue , silver blue , silver blue agouti, or russian silver / blue . they are rough guesses, i was just looking for colors of silver - y - ness . ^^; you can google them & compare c:
ser

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Masked Avenger » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm

I currently have four female guinea pigs: Molly and Coco (Molly at the back, Coco at the front) will be 6 this year in September.
The new babies, Fudge and Scarlet are 9 weeks old.
The older girls are quite happy to be picked up and cuddled, but the babies aren't quite used to people yet.
I also have two rabbits and two budgies.
Masked Avenger

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby windsorblue17 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:52 pm

bliss, wrote:
    & timber , i am trying to learn rat colors , markings , & variations myself , & after scrolling through a few websites i think yours might be ; platinum , powder blue , silver blue , silver blue agouti, or russian silver / blue . they are rough guesses, i was just looking for colors of silver - y - ness . ^^; you can google them & compare c:

He seems to be a bit more silver-blue agouti. I'm very lucky that he has such a gorgeous fur color! Although, it looks quite washed out in the photos, which is why you probably thought powder blue!

Remember everyone, if you'd like your pictures in the gallery, PM me!
windsorblue17

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Atheon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Well, just got a cage-mate for Silk....her name is Mist. Black and white buddies FTW xD
(That new thread smell c:)
They/he. I like video games and music. Straight edge.
carrd
Atheon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby windsorblue17 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Blizzard;; wrote:Well, just got a cage-mate for Silk....her name is Mist. Black and white buddies FTW xD
(That new thread smell c:)

Congratulations! That's wonderful news! I'd love to see some pictures of Silk + Mist. What a cute duo or names!
windsorblue17

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby samm. » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:58 pm

@nemo

I would love to mentor under someone, more than likely it will be my father, who used to breed mice. Him and his family had one of the best mousery's in the area. My main goal would be to bring a better quality of mice to my area. The closest breeder is almost 200 miles away, a three hour drive there and back, if of course you don't run into any problems during the trip. I would like to be able to give mice to the people around me who want them, but aren't willing to drive that far to get them. I wish to bring healthier, hand tamed mice to the area. Of course, there are plenty of pet shops, but the conditions their mice are kept in are not the best, nor are they as tame as most people think they would be. I would also like to bring more coat colors and types, seeing as how most pet shops only have solid colors and standard coats.

Yes, I do too! x3

╔════════════════════════════╗
elliot / ellie, or sam | genderfluid | he/they
single | polyromantic demisexual | polyam
omnist | covenless witch | scorpio / ox
infp-t | chaotic good | poet | listo

╚════════════════════════════╝

samm.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery