The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby PeanutButterRum » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:28 pm

Update on my babies, I bought two little lethargic, ringworm infected kittens who didn't seem to have much hope of survival towards the end of October. After weeks of treatment and care I nursed them to health and flash forward to today they are both big healthy and happy. I wanted to thank you guys for helping me with the treatment and quarantine. A few members here messaged me and helped me out with the overwhelming task of caring for them.
Touka my brown Irish girl sits on the top shelf begging to be let out and today I had some spare time so I gave in. She, Yui and Winry all explored my room for about half an hour. Touka actually played with me for the first time, normally she ignores me. She bounced around my feet and crawled up my legs, it was really cute. I will post some pictures of them soon so you all can see how big they've gotten, all three of them are a tad chubby due to me having to feed them fattening food for a while ((to get their weight up, they were extremely thin when I got them))
PeanutButterRum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkvoodoo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:51 am

Don't remember If I posted him before or not, but here is Fluffy my hairless hamster:
Fluffy.jpg
Fluffy.jpg (70.82 KiB) Viewed 135 times
darkvoodoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am

i'm thinking about getting a syrian hamster later on (no rush i'm estimating maybe six months at the soonest) and had a few questions if anyone knows

i have converted bin cages that are jerry rigged together and are roughly 70 gallons if that's purposed correctly is it enough space? and should i purpose some if it towards burrowing? and what are good substrates for that?

also does mazuri make good hamster food?
Image{ mars ` he ` toyhou.se }
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:57 pm

I own 4 ratties, And i love them to death!
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-01-19 at 2.18.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2017-01-19 at 2.18.37 PM.png (395.77 KiB) Viewed 95 times
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:54 am

bump
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mad Girl » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:37 am

I totally forgot to tell you all that Malia turned 1 year old two days ago, this beautiful and cute girl I rescued 11 months ago with her sibilings (who are also all very well adopted), she was so small, she grew up so much!

I still remember her first day, when I rescued them:

And her now:

Happy birthday, Malia! :mrgreen:
The Mad Girl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Julia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:43 pm

May I ask you guys a question? I'm sure some of you are rat owners?

Last week my bunny died during surgery (her partner died just four weeks earlier, just so you know that I certainly do not support bunnies or rodents living alone unless it's hamsters).

During my life I've had 20 mice, four rats, several guinea pigs, five bunnies and several hamsters. (not all at the same time of course)

Right now I'm unsure what to do. I'm sharing a flat with three roommates which means only one room is "my" room and I sleep there.

I'm very concerned about the smell of rats, but they seem to be the only pets I could imagine to get right now. I thought about adopting two rats which are a little older than a year.

How do you guys handle the smell? Do girls really smell less (I've always had boys)? Do you sleep in the same room where their cage is?

And I have to tell you that I'm very, very used to the smell of rodents, but I remember that my four male rats smelled very..intense. But I had them in a different room back then...

Or does anyone else have an idea which rodents are as affectionate as rats?
Image Image
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted __ people.
I have received __ gifts.
Julia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:52 am

The only time I really smell my rats is when I don't clean cages as often as I should. As long as they are cleaned, I don't smell them. I currently have 2 in my room, and I have no problem with them. I use to have 8 in my room and didn't have a issue then either.

Rats are amazing, I haven't found any other small pet I would recommend like I would rats.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Lost Gremlin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:03 am

Julia wrote:May I ask you guys a question? I'm sure some of you are rat owners?

Last week my bunny died during surgery (her partner died just four weeks earlier, just so you know that I certainly do not support bunnies or rodents living alone unless it's hamsters).

During my life I've had 20 mice, four rats, several guinea pigs, five bunnies and several hamsters. (not all at the same time of course)

Right now I'm unsure what to do. I'm sharing a flat with three roommates which means only one room is "my" room and I sleep there.

I'm very concerned about the smell of rats, but they seem to be the only pets I could imagine to get right now. I thought about adopting two rats which are a little older than a year.

How do you guys handle the smell? Do girls really smell less (I've always had boys)? Do you sleep in the same room where their cage is?

And I have to tell you that I'm very, very used to the smell of rodents, but I remember that my four male rats smelled very..intense. But I had them in a different room back then...

Or does anyone else have an idea which rodents are as affectionate as rats?

Honestly, my boys have never really smelled that bad, usually up until a day or so before I clean them out. Visitors to my flat used to notice a bit of a smell when I had a huge cage with more rats but I put that down to just having a greater concentration of rodents in one place. I too share my bedroom with them and now that I've downsized to a smaller cage with 3 elderly boys the smell is pretty much non-existent.

Cleaning too frequently can also sometimes cause rats to smell more. Rats like their homes to smell like them, so by cleaning too often without leaving anything familiar-smelling it can actually cause them to pee even more to compensate the loss. I normally clean the cage every 7 - 10 days or so, and I'll clean any hammocks/beds a couple days later. Finding the right balance between leaving it too long or too frequently is key lol

If all else fails you could consider shutting your door and opening a window for a few hours a day to help with the air circulation, if you don't already do that, or you could leave a little dish or box containing baking soda on top or by the cage to help absorb any smells.
The Lost Gremlin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:28 am

I'm in love with this thread! I loved how detailed and informative the guide about the species is! I just confirmed that I'd probably get along nicely with a chinchilla or a hamster ^-^

I always wanted a Chinchilla, but I need to be sure that I can take care of it properly before I get one, do anyone have any kind of experience with these pets?
I have a big dog, a golden retrivier but she is scared of pretty much everything and didn't have any kind of violent behaviour with rats and bunnies so far, but if something try to attack her she attacks back... Do they usually get along with bigger animals or is there a big chance that they might try to attack her?
I'd get him as a baby, is it easy to teach them stuff like coming when I call?