The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby darkvoodoo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:19 am

Bunny Owner wrote:Hey guys! I have 7 rats and will be buying a female in a week or so to breed. I have her picked out and she is a hairless albino.
I have 7 males right now that all get along and are as sweet as sugar.
I have:
2- Hairless
2-Dumbos
1- 'Jumbo Fancy'
2-That are brothers and mixed
If you would like to get to know my boys, shoot me a pm! :3 I have never been without at least one rat for 12 years so I am quite experienced and have bred before.

Hairless females can have issues producing milk and its not wise to breed them unless they are from a pedigreed breeder (which wouldn't sell you a single female) And like Middy said, rats don't have breeds. Your Fancy is the same as a dumbo (just different ear sets) Jumbo is a size term used by feeder breeders.
darkvoodoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ellyenchanted » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:51 pm

What do you guys feed your rats? I want to start incorporating more fruits and veggies into his regular food. Also how many times a day do you feed your rat, and when?
ellyenchanted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:55 am

i'm going to get new stuff for the rat cage soon and i was wondering if anyone could suggest accessories that aren't hammocks? i have four in the cage right now and im lucky to have the boys using more than one at any given time.
      i was thinking of getting more enrichment stuff since they're kind lazy, so i'm thinking branches and rope stuff to make them climb and picking up a few foraging things. i know i'm going to get a few more baskets because they love those but i'm not sure what else to look into.
Image{ mars ` he ` toyhou.se }
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Lost Gremlin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:11 am

humboldt wrote:
      i'm going to get new stuff for the rat cage soon and i was wondering if anyone could suggest accessories that aren't hammocks? i have four in the cage right now and im lucky to have the boys using more than one at any given time.
      i was thinking of getting more enrichment stuff since they're kind lazy, so i'm thinking branches and rope stuff to make them climb and picking up a few foraging things. i know i'm going to get a few more baskets because they love those but i'm not sure what else to look into.

Try looking in the bird section of your local petshop - they have some amazing toys, like big chunky wooden suspension bridges, ladders, wooden and tough plastic toys, etc. Wild bird peanut feeders are also an option - get one, pack it full of tasty seeds, fruit or nuts and the rats will have to work hard to pull their little treats out.
The Lost Gremlin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:01 am

The Lost Gremlin wrote:
Try looking in the bird section of your local petshop - they have some amazing toys, like big chunky wooden suspension bridges, ladders, wooden and tough plastic toys, etc. Wild bird peanut feeders are also an option - get one, pack it full of tasty seeds, fruit or nuts and the rats will have to work hard to pull their little treats out.

i usually look at the bird stuff too but i'll make sure to go through it when i start getting stuff. the bird feeder is a really good idea i'm going to look into that too. for now i'm going to diy a few things to gauge their interest with certain things so hopefully i can get then to be a little less lazy.
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skrapple » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:12 am

humboldt wrote:
The Lost Gremlin wrote:

i usually look at the bird stuff too but i'll make sure to go through it when i start getting stuff. the bird feeder is a really good idea i'm going to look into that too. for now i'm going to diy a few things to gauge their interest with certain things so hopefully i can get then to be a little less lazy.

sorry to barge in and give my two cents, but everything for my rats minus the food bowl, water bowl, an igloo, and a wheel are all diy (the girls have two shoeboxes, a coffee container, half of a soda box, two hammocks made from felt and pipe cleaners, two different diy dangle toys, and even a shelf made of popsicle sticks for their food).. so if you ever need any ideas for diy hides and such gimme a holler.
like, for example, my favorite (and my rats' favorite) diy toy is incredibly simple. all you gotta do is take a dixie cup, thread a pipe cleaner through it (making a knot at the bottom so it wont fall off), put treats/some food inside the cup, then thread a second dixie cup through the pipe cleaner and push it down on top of the treats inside the first cup. then you can hang it from the top of the cage. it is quite difficult for them to access the food if you do this so its a fun toy which forces them to think about how to get to the food. c:

┏──────────────✫──────────────┓

Find me on other sites!
toyhouse ; artfight

✫✫ Hi, I'm Skrapple! ✫✫
I am an adult and
I use she/her pronouns.

┖──────────────✫──────────────┚

┏───────────✫───────────┓
kes. is my boyfriend
and we like to gift each other.
┖───────────✫───────────┚

.┏───────────────────────────✫───────────────────────────┓

Pet's name: Cinnamon

┖───────────────────────────✫───────────────────────────┚
skrapple

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AustrianAce » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:28 am

Speaking of all these diy enrichment and activity stuff reminded me I wanted to ask here if anyone had ideas for enrichment and toys for guinea pigs? I make hay balls and some other diy stuff, buy some toys, and pick her up and let her run around but am always looking for new ideas to keep my baby happy <3
    I'll post some pictures of my little fluffy Abyssinian girl Hermione sometime later!

(in case anyone is wondering why I only have one, that's a long story I don't feel like telling but I'm currently in the process of looking for a cage mate for her <3)
AustrianAce | She/her | Aspiring Veterinarian | Alpine Aces Kennels
ImageImage

AustrianAce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:14 am

@skrapple: i was actually looking at doing something like that with bottlecaps, but i do have a bunch of tiny dixie cups and pipe cleaners on hand so i'll have to give that a shot
      but yeah most of their cage is already comprised of boxes and empty oat tubes so i'm used to making stuff up for their cage (they destroy everything so quickly that there's things i reuse to spend too much money on, like fleece)
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:21 pm

My boys are officially on their way to me! I've been waiting since before they were conceived, and received daily photos of them since the day they were born! The transporter picked them up tonight and they should be here in a few days!
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spencer Reid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Aww, they're so cute!

On the topic of DIY for rats, any cardboard you find around the house works well. Chunks of giant boxes, milk cartons, toilet rolls. My favorite thing to do, if your cage is big enough, is a grocery truck. If you open the soda box correctly, and then you open the vertical flaps on the back, it kind of looks like a truck! Go crazy with straws and cardboard circles and non-toxic paint, or just keep it the way it is.
Spencer Reid

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me