Calling All Rat Lovers/Owners!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

How Much Do You Love Rats?

I LOVE THEM TO ALL THE GALAXIES AND BACK!
50%
I ADORE THEM!
14%
I love them.
6%
I think they are cute. (Never owned one so I don't know the greatness of them)
30%

Total votes : 545

Re: Calling All Rat Lovers/Owners!

Postby darkvoodoo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:58 pm

I have black eyed Siamese! Working on them and Burmese in Harley.
darkvoodoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:25 pm

darkvoodoo wrote:I have black eyed Siamese! Working on them and Burmese in Harley.

Ive considered working with Harley but still too many health issues :( My current goal for my C-Locus line is Velveteen for now. Maybe when Harley is a bit more healthy, ill incorporate it into my lines, but for now, ill admire them from afar!

I am hoping to get a dwarf line going as well. But I cant bring any new ratties in until I can test for seoul. sucks that they jacked the price up :thumbdown: hard to be responsible with $35/rat :roll:
Birthday: July 13 | Anniversary: September 18
Welcoming our daughter 1/7/19 ❤
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkvoodoo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Luckily I got a great line for my Harley's. I have velveteen in a few lines. Im wanting to add Russian blue to my marbles and black to my silvermanes
Luckily I tested when it was still $10.70 pet rat. A few people are still getting testing for $11, weird some get charged $35 and others $11.
darkvoodoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby antarct1ca » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:29 pm

I've owned rats almost my entire childhood life, but sadly my last rat passed away from age last october.
I couldn't keep taking care of them because I'm going off to college soon and I have to focus on school more than ever now — no time for ratties.
It was pretty sad. Almost like the end of an era.
In her last few months though, It felt good giving her extra play time, snuggles, toys and treats — knowing she was going to be my last one for a while.

I've only ever owned females, I think after I move into an apartment or rent a house after freshman year I'll get some boys. I've always admired their size and laziness.
Guess I gotta keep that critter nation just in case!

ImageImage

antarct1ca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:04 pm

darkvoodoo wrote:Luckily I got a great line for my Harley's. I have velveteen in a few lines. Im wanting to add Russian blue to my marbles and black to my silvermanes
Luckily I tested when it was still $10.70 pet rat. A few people are still getting testing for $11, weird some get charged $35 and others $11.

I'll be sending an email to IDEXX tomorrow about it. I've gathered info from ratteries that planned to test, but missed the $10.75 price. There is definitely miscommunication somewhere in IDEXX. But I think the people being charged the $11 are those in the actual investigation, and they are being charged the researching price.

Ugh.

I have Russian blue, American blue and beige marbles right now. I'll be working on mink and cinnamon marbles soon. I love marbles.

ImageImageImage

My first silvermane was a black berkshire but he unfortunately prodiced malocclussion and I ended the line. I now have a Russian blue marble silvermane to start a new line.

I'll also be getting dwarfs soon, I can't wait! They are my dream lol. I wonder what a Harley dwarf would look like? :shock:
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkvoodoo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:31 pm

I was charged the $11 but wasn't involved in any way, so who knows.
I'm not a fan of dwarf,lol. I have some dwarf Siamese, but not breeding them and naturally a few of my lines carry dwarf, so I know Ill get it again.
I have black and mink marble, going to add in Russian blue. have Russian blue, cinnamon, Russian beige silvermanes, want to add in black.
Currently working on my downunders.
darkvoodoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadyBro » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:04 am

Im curious about dwarf genetics actually, and since there are a few breeders posting figured I would ask. My babe Nanook hasnt grown into a normal adult size rat, and all the younger babes I have are now twice her size yet half her age - Im just generally assuming she has some dwarf in her at this point. Shes perfectly healthy otherwise so I dont know what would be causing such a stunt in her growth if that were the problem, though her biological mother did die very suddenly after a bout of seizures when Nanook was about a week old. I knew both biological parents, all the other rats that the 'breeder' (hoarder) had in their possession when they were brought to us, and have seen all of Nanook's siblings as well as all other offspring from those rats recently, and theyre all normal sized standard rats. Her only difference to any of them is her bi-colored eyes and I doubt that has anything to do with anything. I had always assumed that both parents had to carry the dwarf gene in order to produce a dwarf pup, but I know the lines they came from (originally they were warehouse type feeder bin breeders before the hoarder bought a few live ones and starting breeding them) and I know for sure that its insane to think that one let alone both adults had any dwarf genes in them at all. Any thoughts?
┏━━━━━━━━━┓ 
─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──

ImageImageImage
✰Toyhouse✰
✰Closed Species✰
✰Trotters✰

ImageImageImage

─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──
┗━━━━━━━━━┛

─- ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ─- ♡ - - ♡ -─ ⋆⋅⋅⋆ -─
ShadyBro

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Topiratti » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:46 pm

ashe went for surgery, it was completed, she was doing fine, in the afternoon, however, when the vets went to check on her, she has passed away, it seems she died in her sleep

she had 2 tumors removed, apparently one of the tumors had an infection in it, which i guess what caused her to have an abscess - they dont know why she died, the vet who did the surgery left for a bit, but his vehicle broke down with a flat, so he was late returning to the clinic, and even he didnt know she died until he arrived at the clinic, i had already donr seeing her, when i ran into him as he arrived, we talked and such, so depressing, maybe if i didnt have it done, she would still be alive, then again, maybe the infection may have killed her, i dont know, never had this happen before, even on a fat rat >.< my only other fat rat who had a tumor removed had a massive one that was like 6/7 times the size of the 2 ashe had, and this one was 99 grams!, tho she did die 3 months after the surgery, she got another lump that was inside her

i really dont know how to feel, ashe was my moms baby, she of course cried =/

at least i got to go to the vet to hold her for a bit, say good bye, talk to the vet techs and talk about her and my other ratties =/
[size=150]I've quit CS, tho I'm seeking Birthday date swaps for Shima LongTail, Dragon Cat PPS, Cheshire Cat, dates in pet names
Topiratti

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Topiratti - so sorry for your loss :( I saw your post on facebook (pretty sure it was yours anyways). Its tough when you try so hard to help them, but the process itself is sometimes risky. At least your rattie had love before the end.

ShadyBro - some rats are just on the small side. I have a siamese boy who is 6 months old and half the size is my 4 month old silvermane boy. To my knowledge, even dwarf carriers are standard size. Dwarfs themselves are typically 1/3 the size of a standard rat. Photos just don't do justice to howork small they really are. They are about the size of 8 week old babies. They are very small. They are also pretty high in demand, so it isn't likely to be something found in a feeder bin, pet store, or random breeding. They sell for $50- $60 on average, at least on the east coast (states). Even dwarf carriers are typically $40 minimum.

As for the genetics behind them, you do need both parents to at least carry dwarf to have any dwarf babies as it is a recessive gene, and with simple carriers you wouldn't get many. If just one parent carried dwarf, you would have a few babies carry dwarf as well, but the rest wouldn't.
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vein » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:33 pm

For any of you who have had experience with pneumonia- when did you first start seeing signs of improvement?
My Moose is on Baytril and has been since Sunday the 5th. He's prescribed the medicine for a week (until Sunday the 12th) but I'm not positive if I should continue his treatment after the week is up or not. We're planning on giving him some vitamin boosters to keep his immune system up so that he doesn't get sick again.
I don't want to psych myself out by assuming that he's getting better, but I do believe that he is. His breathing seems a bit rougher but his liquid retention has gone down a lot and he's eating (he's been drinking the entire time). The porphyrin around his eyes is gone too and he's more willing to be picked up.
Are there any things that I should be watching out for with him? He's currently housed with his two cagemates, do I need to quarantine him? The vet said that she didn't think so if he didn't get worse, and he hasn't, but I'd like some rat parent opinions.

///

On a side note, I'm ratsitting for my friend. The rattie's name is Vincent and he's super sweet; gives tons and tons of kisses. <: She only had a tiny tank for him, so my sister and I are pooling together to buy him a proper cage and adopt a friend for him (with permission from my friend).

lee | they |
some sort of creature
i like rats & jellycat plushes
looking for c$ & 2014 egypt starry calf
-
vein

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups