Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
19%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 998

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Postby Eremite » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:31 am

halogen. wrote:
Eremite wrote:
Itsnotwhoyouthink wrote:A lot of people are saying that pits are need to dislike other dogs/animals..... I think that mostly depends on the owner and trainer, not what breed they are, my boyfriend has 5 pits, a cat, and a snake. I have never seen the pits do anything to harm any of the other animals, even though the car and snake are relatively new to the household

Genetics do play a large part in a dog's temperament. Real APBTs (ADBA reg ones, not the unreg block headed mixes BYBs/Shelters sell) are commonly animal aggressive because they have such high prey drives as that is what they were bred for. Dog aggression in APBTs is the same as the herding instinct in Border Collies. You can take a BC to sheep and often times they start trying to herd naturally, you can put an APBT around other dogs and often times start to display aggression towards it. Just part of the breed, nothing wrong with it when you know what you're doing.

Yes! Finally someone knows what they're talking about and isn't just spouting what the media says. People who just say 'No, pitbulls are aggressive because of their owners' and stick by that saying annoy me SOO much! Sure a APBT's aggression can be goaded on by an owner, but many times its just genetics.

So, I also had an argument with somebody about cropping Spade's ears. All I said was that I had THOUGHT about it, since she is going to be hog hunting with me, it wouldn't be for purely cosmetic reasons. The person actually told me that pitbulls were not meant for hunting, hounds and retrievers are, I had such a good laugh. And he also owns a 'pitbull', another one of those shelter adopt mixes(American bully, bulldog, labrador mix looking dog). I showed him a real APBT and he told me that his dog was just 'overweight' LOL!! Anyways he was so uneducated about APBTs, it was funny, must be because he doesn't even own one.

Whoo, fellow educated person! Glad i'm not alone!

That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. retrievers aren't even technically hunting dogs, they retrieve game not hunt it. And they admitted their dog is overweight but obviously don't care, poor pup.
Blame is a coward but self-righteous
A funny little creature hiding out in me
Hate is power with a price tag
A funny little creature screaming out in me
Listen to me
Fear is a liar but he's been right before
If you fight your shadow, you'll get lost in a war
Ambitions a champ, but he's also greedy
Drunk or sober he always wants more
I always want more
I always want more
Lust is beauty in a body bag
A funny little thing that's screaming "Just use me!"

Eremite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:58 am

I am not crazy educated about pitties, But i own 1 american pitbull terrier, And 2 pit mixes. And they are amazing dogs! Mine are all very well tempremented and love other dogs/ And LOVE humans.
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-04-04 at 9.52.34 AM.png
Screenshot 2017-04-04 at 9.52.34 AM.png (261.3 KiB) Viewed 26 times
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:59 am

That was kennedy my full pitbull, Here is deacon my pitbull/Lab
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-04-04 at 9.51.52 AM.png
Screenshot 2017-04-04 at 9.51.52 AM.png (461.98 KiB) Viewed 25 times
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:02 am

And Zeus, My pit bull/ Great dane
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-04-08 at 12.01.58 PM.png
Screenshot 2017-04-08 at 12.01.58 PM.png (414.63 KiB) Viewed 23 times
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby silvermahogany » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:00 am

I honestly love pitbulls. It depends on how they are raised to determine if they are violent or not

- You poor thing
Sweet, mourning lamb
There's nothing you can do -

☆ Pfp by idrawforfun <3
☆ Silv - He/Him - Genderqueer - Gay
☆ Adult
☆ Un-quit for art shops, pls shoot me a dm if you do human art!!
☆ Ask me about my dnd oc ask me about my dnd oc ask me about my dnd oc ask me abou-
silvermahogany

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:56 am

Spoopy Fandom Trash wrote:I honestly love pitbulls. It depends on how they are raised to determine if they are violent or not

I hate going in circles but it has to be said again.

Its not all in how there raised its in there genetics. You can raise a dog in the most perfect of homes and if its in the genetics for dog aggression, human aggression, herding, hunting or retrieving a dog will do it.

Pitbulls are bred for dog aggression its in there genetics you don't have to raise or train a PitBull to be DA if its In its genetic make up.

Honestly I will say it again I hate the whole its how there raised thing a perfect family could own a PitBull no abuse, no training it to fight no nothing and still end up with a PitBull intent on killing every dog it sees.

Genetics are a factor in every dog breed its what makes herding dogs herd, retrievers retrieve and pitbulls fight.

CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eremite » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:09 am

Angelus Gaston wrote:
Spoopy Fandom Trash wrote:I honestly love pitbulls. It depends on how they are raised to determine if they are violent or not

Its not all in how there raised its in there genetics. You can raise a dog in the most perfect of homes and if its in the genetics for dog aggression, human aggression, herding, hunting or retrieving a dog will do it.

Pitbulls are bred for dog aggression its in there genetics you don't have to raise or train a PitBull to be DA if its In its genetic make up.

Honestly I will say it again I hate the whole its how there raised thing a perfect family could own a PitBull no abuse, no training it to fight no nothing and still end up with a PitBull intent on killing every dog it sees.

Genetics are a factor in every dog breed its what makes herding dogs herd, retrievers retrieve and pitbulls fight.

Finally! Someone else who gets it! Its not all in all how raise them. You can raise a Border Collie never herding or seeing sheep but if you put them in a pen with them nine times out of ten they'll start to herd. Same thing with a (real) APBT, you can socialize them more than any other dog on the planet and they'll still probably end up DA.
Blame is a coward but self-righteous
A funny little creature hiding out in me
Hate is power with a price tag
A funny little creature screaming out in me
Listen to me
Fear is a liar but he's been right before
If you fight your shadow, you'll get lost in a war
Ambitions a champ, but he's also greedy
Drunk or sober he always wants more
I always want more
I always want more
Lust is beauty in a body bag
A funny little thing that's screaming "Just use me!"

Eremite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Eremite wrote:
Angelus Gaston wrote:

Finally! Someone else who gets it! Its not all in all how raise them. You can raise a Border Collie never herding or seeing sheep but if you put them in a pen with them nine times out of ten they'll start to herd. Same thing with a (real) APBT, you can socialize them more than any other dog on the planet and they'll still probably end up DA.

You could also end up with a dog that doesn't have DA. Kind of like ending up with a low energy husky or low prey drive greyhound. I personally have never met a not DA purebred APBT, but I haven't met very many (like, 4, lol) and I'm sure there are flukes out there.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GucciBelt » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:26 pm

I've already commented before but I'm just gonna tell my story on why I dislike the breed (even though I have one).

Summer of 2014, I rescued a kitten from underneath my porch. She was quiet and feral. I was the first person to take her out and give her some food and water. I was basically her mother at this point (even came when I called her name!). Skip forward to July 2015. She got out of the house even though she's an indoor cat. I had three dogs at the time a pitbull, yellow lab, and a chihuahua terrier mix. I heard some barking at around 8 o clock at night so I went outside to check. I saw my cat pinned up against the side of the house cornered by my two fairly large dogs. I was screaming and crying and having a panic attack so I ran back inside to get help. I ran back out and tried to help her but I wasn't trying to get my arm bitten off. By the time help came (my aunt) it was too late.

I basically witnessed my cat being torn to shreds and I feel as if it were my fault. I will never have a large breed of dog ever again.
My birthday is December 21!
I love sending and receiving gifts!
~✞~
One night I dreamed I was walking along the
beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life
flashed across the sky.In each scene I noticed
footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were
two sets of footprints, other times there was
one only.This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life, when I
was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints, so I said
to the Lord, “You promised me Lord,that if
I followed you, you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying
periods of my life there has only been one set
of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed
you most, have you not been there for me?”
The Lord replied, “The years when you have
seen only one set of footprints, my child,
is when I carried you.”
-Mary Stevenson

~✞~
GucciBelt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:30 am

FlamingEmber wrote:I've already commented before but I'm just gonna tell my story on why I dislike the breed (even though I have one).

Summer of 2014, I rescued a kitten from underneath my porch. She was quiet and feral. I was the first person to take her out and give her some food and water. I was basically her mother at this point (even came when I called her name!). Skip forward to July 2015. She got out of the house even though she's an indoor cat. I had three dogs at the time a pitbull, yellow lab, and a chihuahua terrier mix. I heard some barking at around 8 o clock at night so I went outside to check. I saw my cat pinned up against the side of the house cornered by my two fairly large dogs. I was screaming and crying and having a panic attack so I ran back inside to get help. I ran back out and tried to help her but I wasn't trying to get my arm bitten off. By the time help came (my aunt) it was too late.

I basically witnessed my cat being torn to shreds and I feel as if it were my fault. I will never have a large breed of dog ever again.

Aww, so sorry to hear that!
When we had two pits, of differing genders a puppy female and a male adult, the male would get so protective and vicious toward her when someone came into the house. He would lash out and bite her. She had puncture wounds in her legs and a few on her neck. I cannot blame the dog however as it was the family's fault for getting another dog. We had the male first.
I witnessed the neighbors dog being killed by the male pit. But again, I feel like I can't blame the dog. Just protecting us. He did the same thing to a garden snake.
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"𝖎𝖘 𝖘𝖎𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖌𝖔𝖑𝖉."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me