Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
19%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 998

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Postby taurus ; » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Yeah, I need to get a new flirt pole and try it out with Spade, she has so much energy. Earlier, I spent almost 2 hours in our backyard playing fetch and letting her sprint around to her hearts content and she still came back in the house trampling over everything ;;
And our outside cat, Kitty knows to leave Spade alone now. Obviously he knows to avoid the dogs, but Spade is new, I'm guessing he didn't know if she was friendly or not, but today when I let her out, she sort of sprinted after him and nipped his tail before he could get away.

I've been meaning to say how adorable JJ is!! Her markings are too cute and so unique, I would've named her MaryBelle or Daisy :lol:
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:53 pm

She enjoyed the snow way more than I thought she would. She's a very tired puppy now. Spent all day climbing logs and slipping on ice.

I built my flirt pole out of pvc pipe and rope and it works really well, she still tramples all over anyways though. Teach your pup "leave it" so she'll let go when you want her too, it's a great way to teach that command. My cats really need to learn to avoid dogs, JJ is fine with cats but our neighbors Am Bully will attack them. His owners can't keep him in his yard, he once attacked one of my cats. He's a sweet dog who needs better owners -_-. I was training him for a year and he's freaking great, but pretty much all our training went down the drain once his owners moved out and now I only see him once every couple months. My cat miraculously got away unscathed thanks to my overly protective dachshund who has no fear of dogs ten times bigger than him.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:10 pm

She knows leave it, but only if I'm trying to grab something away from her mouth, which I don't do very often I'm sorta scared of hurting her little puppy teeth><
JJ is so cute, I'll try to get some snow pictures but here in TN theres basically no snow, just a whole bunch of ice. I'm hoping for snow this weekend!! If it does snow, I'll definitely get some snow pics of Spade.

Yeah, my neighbors have a blue heeler/hound/terrier mix whos great with kids, will let them hop/jump and hug all over him but cats no, he'll scent track cats and actually attack them. Luckily a loud "Zee, no!!" will make him go back home, but I do wish his owners would keep him in the house or on a chain.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:15 pm

I own a American pitbull terrier, An Amerian pitbull great dane mix (he's huge!!) and an American pitbull labador mix. They are all the best! they get alontg great with each other and other dogs!
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:38 pm

I had someone tell me today that pit bulls have been used as nanny dogs since the 16th century. Ugh, I swear it gets crazier and crazier every day.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eremite » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:53 am

Taikatalvi wrote:I had someone tell me today that pit bulls have been used as nanny dogs since the 16th century. Ugh, I swear it gets crazier and crazier every day.

I always laugh when people say that and love to correct them. SBTs were referenced as 'nanny dogs' in an old book and it was said in a satire manner, not to be taken seriously at all. Funnier yet is a lot of the foundation dogs and prolific studs for APBTs were man biters, Mayday took the ear off of one of his owner's kids if I remember correctly.
Blame is a coward but self-righteous
A funny little creature hiding out in me
Hate is power with a price tag
A funny little creature screaming out in me
Listen to me
Fear is a liar but he's been right before
If you fight your shadow, you'll get lost in a war
Ambitions a champ, but he's also greedy
Drunk or sober he always wants more
I always want more
I always want more
Lust is beauty in a body bag
A funny little thing that's screaming "Just use me!"

Eremite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Eremite wrote:
Taikatalvi wrote:I had someone tell me today that pit bulls have been used as nanny dogs since the 16th century. Ugh, I swear it gets crazier and crazier every day.

I always laugh when people say that and love to correct them. SBTs were referenced as 'nanny dogs' in an old book and it was said in a satire manner, not to be taken seriously at all. Funnier yet is a lot of the foundation dogs and prolific studs for APBTs were man biters, Mayday took the ear off of one of his owner's kids if I remember correctly.

Huh, that's really interesting. I know Chinaman was nippy when excited, but I didn't know about actual man biters. I had always assumed that prolific stud dogs were pretty much never man biters, since obviously you don't want an apbt who's interested in biting humans.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eremite » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Taikatalvi wrote:Huh, that's really interesting. I know Chinaman was nippy when excited, but I didn't know about actual man biters. I had always assumed that prolific stud dogs were pretty much never man biters, since obviously you don't want an apbt who's interested in biting humans.

If the dog was a good game dog then bites would be 'forgiven' and the offspring of the dog thoroughly culled of man biters. There were some here and there but not generation after generation of them.
Last edited by Eremite on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blame is a coward but self-righteous
A funny little creature hiding out in me
Hate is power with a price tag
A funny little creature screaming out in me
Listen to me
Fear is a liar but he's been right before
If you fight your shadow, you'll get lost in a war
Ambitions a champ, but he's also greedy
Drunk or sober he always wants more
I always want more
I always want more
Lust is beauty in a body bag
A funny little thing that's screaming "Just use me!"

Eremite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby S1520 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:48 pm

For a really long time I believed the crowd that insisted they are misunderstood but my experience volunteering at a shelter made me realize how dog reactive, unreadable and spontaneous most of them are there. It is a stressful place for them but none of the other breeds are that way. I don't want to walk them ever because if I accidently let go of the leash I feel like they'd immediately find another dog to harm. Despite all that I still gave them the benefit of the doubt when two ran up to us on the beach, looking happy and friendly, owners looked stereotypical but was a family with small kids, also friendly. It actually made me smile when one leaned against the father all happy with it's tongue sticking out, looked blissful. We walked quite a distance from them but they ran back to us, I thought they'd butt sniff again but a few seconds later they attacked unprovoked almost killing my grandma's mini aussie. It was one incident, but you see we met many unfriendly dogs that day, and many days before but the one time it happened to be a pitbull it caused a bloody mess.

So I don't have a very good impression on them. And I feel like obsessing over how misunderstood they are lowers people's caution and causes accidents. That's exactly what happened in this case. It's like people either furiously defend them or completely dislikes them, can't there be a logical inbetween understanding? I feel bad making pitbulls look bad, they are cute and I love the way they look, many are in need of adoption,(they do get regularly adopted at mine though), and when there is a family that desperately needs protecting I understand, and it's caring to adopt one in need. All I'm saying is caution would be helpful.

This is a rant regarding my experience in real life, the peeps in this thread seem more reasonable. :D
S1520

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:21 pm

S1520 wrote:For a really long time I believed the crowd that insisted they are misunderstood but my experience volunteering at a shelter made me realize how dog reactive, unreadable and spontaneous most of them are there. It is a stressful place for them but none of the other breeds are that way. I don't want to walk them ever because if I accidently let go of the leash I feel like they'd immediately find another dog to harm. Despite all that I still gave them the benefit of the doubt when two ran up to us on the beach, looking happy and friendly, owners looked stereotypical but was a family with small kids, also friendly. It actually made me smile when one leaned against the father all happy with it's tongue sticking out, looked blissful. We walked quite a distance from them but they ran back to us, I thought they'd butt sniff again but a few seconds later they attacked unprovoked almost killing my grandma's mini aussie. It was one incident, but you see we met many unfriendly dogs that day, and many days before but the one time it happened to be a pitbull it caused a bloody mess.

So I don't have a very good impression on them. And I feel like obsessing over how misunderstood they are lowers people's caution and causes accidents. That's exactly what happened in this case. It's like people either furiously defend them or completely dislikes them, can't there be a logical inbetween understanding? I feel bad making pitbulls look bad, they are cute and I love the way they look, many are in need of adoption,(they do get regularly adopted at mine though), and when there is a family that desperately needs protecting I understand, and it's caring to adopt one in need. All I'm saying is caution would be helpful.

This is a rant regarding my experience in real life, the peeps in this thread seem more reasonable. :D

I'm glad that during my time volunteering at a shelter they informed us all of aggressive traits in certain breeds without worrying about getting mobbed. German Shepherds will sometimes guard their cages, cattle dogs will sometimes nip ankles and pits will sometimes fight dogs. It's just something to be cautious of, not something that makes a dog bad. This is coming from someone who absolutely LOVES pit bulls.

-
My biggest pet peeve ever is when people say they adopted a "80 lb blue nose American Pit Bull Terrier" from the shelter. Also "130 lbs of pure muscle" with overweight bullies.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me