I'm getting my second Dog in april, but I have 2 drawbacks..

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you think of OCDers?

Yes, I made my own vote. XD (TNZ only, because I have a vote nobody else can use.) Poor me! HELPZ!
6%
You mean like me? I have OCD, I feel your pain.
19%
I feel really sorry for them!
63%
Poor yous.
6%
Bleagh.
No votes
Drrrr.........
No votes
EEEK! GET AWAY FROM ME!
No votes
You idiots.
6%

Total votes : 16

I'm getting my second Dog in april, but I have 2 drawbacks..

Postby ~Razzle~ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm getting my second Dog in april! I cant wait.... Litteralliy. I need help from all of you! Fast!

Drawback 1:I have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Because of it, my life is/was being taken over. It will never be forever gone, but mom is waiting until I can prove I'm ready for my second Bestie! Over here is the Wikipedia for OCD, but only a few people can clear it up for you - OCD witnesses. My problem is, I need to get as many ways as possible to get rid of it faster! The faster my OCD goes away, the quicker I get a puppy!
Drawback 2: Actually, all my drawbacks are in #1!

NVFAQ (Not Very Frequently Asked Questions):

Me (Example): How many people get OCD?: 1/100, at average.

Me (Example): Does OCD change your personality/brain/ETC?: NO! Just because we are being controlled, doesn't mean we are dumb, or anything else! Just... Unlucky.

Ask me your OCD questions, and I'll try to post them here so we can help each other!

I NEED help! Fast! (Mods, please move if this isn't Dog enough to be in animal chatter.)

-TNZ
so I haven't been on this site in like, forever, so I'm briefly back on to get rid of lots of my pets in exchange for art of my dog. Also if you do art and want pets send me a pm I'd love to work something out
You can contact me on my tumblr - @puppiesfortheblind - if I don't respond in a reasonable timeframe
~Razzle~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: I'm getting my second Dog in april, but I have 2 drawbacks..

Postby statik » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:57 pm

Why the rush? If you want to 'get over' your OCD, it is probably going to take time, just like any mental disorder. Congratulations on getting a puppy, but why exactly do you need to 'get over' your OCD to get one? Is there a direct link between dogs and your OCD symptoms or something?

Also, what have you done already about your OCD? Have you spoken with a therapist or expert in the field? Have you been diagnosed with it medically?
statik

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby flupine » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:36 pm

You have OCD...? As in generally speaking? Do you show compulsive behaviour and that's what you mean by "getting over it"? And I guess you have to think about the triggers and have willpower strong enough to say no and a very good method of distracting yourself with something else. It's like desensitizing your dog to something that bothers him, you desensitize ourself to your triggers until they mean nothing to you.

I've "gotten" over many of my issues I had in childhood. I used to sit for over an hour fixing my socks on my feet until my parents made me stop and then I would cry. I had many, many triggers as a child. Socks were the worst, then hair, different colored candy, pillows and personal space. I "got over" many of these behaviors and patterns but developed some new ones relating to sidewalks, hitting myself, talking, kept the hair and personal space in seats. I pretty much "got over" them through various methods. The most effective method was my mom making fun of me. She would tease me and make fun of me until I either cried or got really really angry. Or I allowed my friends to braid and play with my hair no matter how much it bothered me. The only compulsions that I have to work on regularly to stop myself is personal space in seats and sidewalks. I don't see a point in working on the one for sidewalk as it's not really interrupting my life or doing anything but if a desk gets to close to my chair in class or a seat is leaned too far back, it's really a test of will power. 3 inches is about the max I can take. I put in my ipod, curl my feet up on the seat and stare out the window hoping the ride ends soon or I will move to another chair in class.
flupine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Razzle~ » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:08 am

Well, by getting over OCD, heres pretty much my problem....

Our gate is Old, Short, Rusty, Weak. Any Dog - Or puppy - we bring in can - and will/might - run away, no problem. And then there's the coyotes...... But, even worse, our entire HOUSE is old. d: Therefore, if we fix the fence (Witch I cant bring myself to do), we tear out our entire yard, and replace ALL of it. :cry:

.................................................................................

somewhatwishful wrote:what have you done already about your OCD? Have you spoken with a therapist or expert in the field? Have you been diagnosed with it medically?

I have a physiologist, and a psychiatrist helping me, I'm on this TERRIBLE tasting medicine, and I am CS pen pals with a fellow OCDer.

..................................................................................

Flupine, do you mean that getting rid of OCD is like making your Dog do something he doesn't want to do? ......Hmmmm........... That helps, putting it that way........

-TNZ
so I haven't been on this site in like, forever, so I'm briefly back on to get rid of lots of my pets in exchange for art of my dog. Also if you do art and want pets send me a pm I'd love to work something out
You can contact me on my tumblr - @puppiesfortheblind - if I don't respond in a reasonable timeframe
~Razzle~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby statik » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Well you definitely should not get a dog if there is the risk of them being in danger. You need to eliminate as many possible threats as you can, "puppy-proof" if you will, before you even think about getting a dog. o_o

Though... If your fence is in poor condition, wouldn't that mean you just need to keep your dog on a leash if you take them outside? Or are you going to keep the dog outside? In that case you need to fix that fence if you're thinking about getting a dog, no question. I don't see how the OCD is relevant to a rusty gate, unless you have a compulsion related to the gate/fence...?

And how would you tear out a whole yard? xD Is there something in the yard? Junk? Or do you just mean 'all of the yard' as being the whole fence?
statik

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Razzle~ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:39 am

Well, my OCD HATES change. So, getting a new gate would be a LOT of change. DX

No, I mean tearing out the whole yard. Get a new fence, get a new floor/ground/thingy, take out the pool and put it back in........ Literally..... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

((Oh, if you look in any of my posts, I 'sign' it. This is also a OCD problem.))

-TNZ
~Razzle~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Animall » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:11 am

somewhatwishful wrote:Well you definitely should not get a dog if there is the risk of them being in danger. You need to eliminate as many possible threats as you can, "puppy-proof" if you will, before you even think about getting a dog. o_o

Though... If your fence is in poor condition, wouldn't that mean you just need to keep your dog on a leash if you take them outside? Or are you going to keep the dog outside? In that case you need to fix that fence if you're thinking about getting a dog, no question. I don't see how the OCD is relevant to a rusty gate, unless you have a compulsion related to the gate/fence...?

And how would you tear out a whole yard? xD Is there something in the yard? Junk? Or do you just mean 'all of the yard' as being the whole fence?

TNZ is asking for HELP and you write THIS!!! HEARTLESS! :x

Do you laugh about me whenever I leave?
Or do I still need more therapy?
(fake out)

↞ infj ⎯ she/her ⎯ adult user ↠

trade thread
auction thread

ImageImageImage
Animall

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Razzle~ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:25 pm

sodones wrote:
somewhatwishful wrote:Well you definitely should not get a dog if there is the risk of them being in danger. You need to eliminate as many possible threats as you can, "puppy-proof" if you will, before you even think about getting a dog. o_o

Sodness, dont get crazy. SWW was simply asking so that she can understand better.

*Stares at poll* Hello fellow OCDer!
~Razzle~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby statik » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:21 pm

sodones wrote:

Are you kidding me? Heartless? Lirl. Wow. I'm not even going to comment on that, not worth my time...
statik

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me