Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby rose; » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Birb wrote:
    Oh dang, I didn't know about the dig box thing! I'll definitely look into that ASAP, as she does not currently have loose substrate nor a dig box, so I'll be sure to get at least the latter as quickly as I can. Thank you for the help!!

Yeah, we are quite sure she is female because we have done that sex test in the past, when we had previously assumed she was male and were proven wrong, haha.

And finally, yes, I'll definitely be working on getting those temperatures up as well! The basking spot temperature is much more stable in this new location, so now all we need is to get it to that sweet spot.

Thanks again!

She'll be very happy with a dig box! I recommend play sand and fertilizer free soil mix, to a sandcastle like consistency. Mine is usually about 40/60 sand/soil, and you want about 12" of it in order for her to lay eggs if she needs to. She'll likely use it to dig in it for fun as well
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Violently Violet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 am

Anyone know any places or breeders to buy an albino checkered garter snake from in the US? Everywhere I've looked seems to be either out of stock or hundreds of dollars, and I'm looking to spend a maximum of 50 plus shipping.

Do you think maybe it's just cause it's the beginning of spring? Will more places be in stock in the summer or something?
Violently Violet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fascai » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:14 pm

I picked up my very first Mantis today!! I’m so excited. I’ve been eyeballing them for a while now and eventually took the leap with an Orchid Mantis. I’m already scheming and think I may get another soon. They’re so much fun to watch.
Fascai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:55 pm

mark

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby catra » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:57 pm

Fascai wrote:
        I picked up my very first Mantis today!! I’m so excited. I’ve been eyeballing them for a while now and eventually took the leap with an Orchid Mantis. I’m already scheming and think I may get another soon. They’re so much fun to watch.

congrats ! i’ve always wanted an orchid mantis
╭──────────.★..─╮
.˳·˖✶𓆩𓁺𓆪✶˖·˳.

just here to be silly :3
eli ~ adult ~ EST

feel free to say hello!

.˳·˖✶𓆩𓁺𓆪✶˖·˳.
╰─..★.───────────────╯
catra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby voe » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:16 am

One of my favorite geckos finally laid an egg today. She's been gravid for 2 months almost! One egg to go and she'll be alright, and then I'm retiring her from breeding. Hopefully she can pass it, and this will have made 4 geckos I've helped through egg binding over the years.
ImageImage Image Image ImageImage
'Darien' he/they femboy collector of leopard geckos

Feel free to message me about anything, even if it isn't CS related!
I'm usually happy to help with date swaps, with or without add-ons
I'm not fluent in lower rarity math so please correct me if I'm wrong

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageAKA Eibai, Nynecho, Gef, Atomsk, Glamrock Freddy, Elfo, MulaImage
voe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rekkovi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:59 am

Hey there!
So basically, I have two bearded dragons.
The problem is, they do have UVB lights and I change them every six months, but they’re coil bulbs...
They are on the same side as their baskig bulb so they spend most of their time getting UVB, but still.

Darwin and Adélaïde (yup those are their names) are both very healthy, they eat well, they run around all day, their eyes are bright and they make healthy poops. They show no sign of MBD or anything that is usually said to happen when using compact bulbs.
The thing is, what if those signs do start showing one day?

I don’t know if I’d be able to convince my parents to switch them to mercury vapor bulbs or tube UVB... They seem perfectly healthy and happy! If they don’t see any problems they may just say it’s a waste of money ;w;
I try my best to give them a good life, they do not live together even though they’re both females, they have lino as substrate so nothing can be swallowed, I give them a variety of fresh greens and insects, I add calcium and vitamins to their food on different days of the week...

I’m just so scared that they don’t get enough UVB and end up with metabolic bone disease later in their life. It would break my heart.
ImageImage
she/her • young adult
rekkovi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:37 pm

xmemmax wrote:
Hey there!
The problem is, they do have UVB lights and I change them every six months, but they’re coil bulbs...
They are on the same side as their baskig bulb so they spend most of their time getting UVB, but still.

Darwin and Adélaïde (yup those are their names) are both very healthy, they eat well, they run around all day, their eyes are bright and they make healthy poops. They show no sign of MBD or anything that is usually said to happen when using compact bulbs.

I don’t know if I’d be able to convince my parents to switch them to mercury vapor bulbs or tube UVB... They seem perfectly healthy and happy! If they don’t see any problems they may just say it’s a waste of money ;w;
I try my best to give them a good life, they do not live together even though they’re both females, they have lino as substrate so nothing can be swallowed, I give them a variety of fresh greens and insects, I add calcium and vitamins to their food on different days of the week...

I’m just so scared that they don’t get enough UVB and end up with metabolic bone disease later in their life. It would break my heart.

Its not the coil bulbs produce NO uvb, just that they produce much less than what is required by a bearded dragon. It would still be much better to have a coil bulb than to have no uvb whatsoever. This is likely slowing down the progression of mbd, but with a coil bulb for life the dragons will inevitably begin to develop mbd symptoms. And, as their keepers, it is the owners responsibility to provide the animal with everything possible to make them their healthiest.
The strip bulbs are relatively cheap, about $25 a bulb last time I looked on amazon for the reptisun brand, which would only need replacing every 6 months. The fixtures for them are relatively cheap as well, as you can buy normal, under the cabinet fixtures for the strip bulbs. You do definitely want to go with a strip bulb though, unless the enclosure is at least 5x2x2, as mercury vapor bulbs are not suitable for small enclosures.
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rekkovi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:00 pm

control wrote:
xmemmax wrote:
Hey there!

Its not the coil bulbs produce NO uvb, just that they produce much less than what is required by a bearded dragon. It would still be much better to have a coil bulb than to have no uvb whatsoever. This is likely slowing down the progression of mbd, but with a coil bulb for life the dragons will inevitably begin to develop mbd symptoms. And, as their keepers, it is the owners responsibility to provide the animal with everything possible to make them their healthiest.
The strip bulbs are relatively cheap, about $25 a bulb last time I looked on amazon for the reptisun brand, which would only need replacing every 6 months. The fixtures for them are relatively cheap as well, as you can buy normal, under the cabinet fixtures for the strip bulbs. You do definitely want to go with a strip bulb though, unless the enclosure is at least 5x2x2, as mercury vapor bulbs are not suitable for small enclosures.

I talked to my mum - we are going to change the bulbs in a couple of weeks.
It’ll be either strip bulbs or mercury vapor ones - they both have a rather large tank, which is also why having a coil bulb bothered me since the rays don’t “spread” very far, if you get what I mean?
I am totally aware that it is our responsibility and I really, really try my best and learn continuously about how to give the best care. The money I get is very often spent on them but I’m a teen, I’m not independent, I don’t have a job and that’s why I need my parents in order to be able to improve my beardie’s quality of life. You can be sure that whenever I get a job most if not all of my money will go to feeder insects, light bulbs, greens and other stuff for them lol.

I’m just glad we will make the change soon - I want to stay as far as possible from health problems like mbd.

Thank you for your answer!
ImageImage
she/her • young adult
rekkovi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:59 am

There is a reptile convention happening this Sunday and I'm super happy I'm going !! It's going to be my first time going to a repticon! Is there anything specific I should bring other than maybe food and water ??

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me