Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby Raven_Wolf » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 pm

Any of you see Taylor's new video? She got 5 new animals in one day... She needs to be stopped. That's too much. I am guilty of impulse buying, but even I know my limit and I don't pretend to know all about that animal right away. Why have her parents not said anything to her? Unless you just don't care what your kid does, you would say something if you noticed a problem like animal hoarding...

On a positive note, my Irian Jaya blue tongue is settling in nicely. He/she is in shed right now, so I'm leaving him/her alone until he/she is done shedding. This is a picture of him/her:

ImageImage
Raven_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:09 am

I dont really think what she does is wrong. As long as she takes really good care of the animals which it seems she does, why does it matter how many she has? Also it sounds like she has some chronic illnesses and other issues which prevent her from being able to do a lot of things like have friends and go to school, so having animals probably helps with that. I have issues with anxiety and depression and having pets helps me with that. I would probably do the same if I had the time money and space XD
There are plenty of youtubers with ridiculous amounts of pets. It's just what they do and they at least do a good job, better than most people even do.
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mi ainsel » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:10 am

The thing is, with exotic pets, you are likely to get more of them at a time. If you go to shows like TND does then it stands to reason you pick up all the things you were looking for because they're not normally available.

My deviantART
Guess who’s back on CS? It’s been a while.
art by trashqrince <3

mi ainsel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yellowlight » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Hey all, I'm super excited to say that I will be getting a blue tongue skink this weekend and cannot wait to show him/her off! I've been buying all kinds of stuff for the tank and have it all prepared I think but just waiting for repticon to get the cool little guy!
Do any of you have BTS? What species? Tell me all about them! What's their favorite veggie? Are they extremely tame or do they still need some work?
yellowlight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby septum » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm

i used to own a bluey! they make
    great little pets, they aren't as
    active or say, playful as beardies
    but they are very tame. they are
    quite fond of leafy greens and even
    egg seems to be quite a favourite
    for them. in the mornings they
    can be a little grumpy and they
    make a faint hissing sound, but
    if they've been other good care
    and not abused in the past they
    rarely ever bite or scratch.
── IS A ──
███
███
███

██████████████

xxxx
🦌

xxxx

─── ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ┘

xxxxx

███
███
███
███
███

♛────────────── BAMBI & FALINE

██████████████
███
███
███
███
███
███

╒═════════════╕
hi there, it’s nice to meet you!
you may of seen me around on forum
games or roleplaying before, i generally
tend to be quite busy, therefore my act
ivity can be random and unpredictable,
but i try to be as active as possible. i do
n‘t have too many interests, but i do ha
ve some things that i quite fancy c:

╘═════════════╛

┌─────────────┐
x
x
SONG
THAT

──────

━━━━━
██████
━━━━━
NEVER

● ━━━━━━━━━━

─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─

septum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mi ainsel » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 am

Welcome to the bluey club! I have a Merauke Blue Tongue myself, Jörmungandr and he's a sweet grumpy boy.
He hates his vegetables though, have to cunningly disguise them to get him to eat them, but he loves blueberries and egg! They do tend to need some taming down at the beginning but they're a lot less work in the long run than beardies and once they're comfortable with you they're just big scaly dogs.
Enjoy your kiddo!

My deviantART
Guess who’s back on CS? It’s been a while.
art by trashqrince <3

mi ainsel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yellowlight » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:15 pm

Wow I can't believe I'm saying it but I am officially a proud momma of a Halmahera Blue Tongue! He/she is a beauty! extremely friendly already! I put the little dude in the tank I had set up and went to run errands for several hours.. came back and he has already burrowed so well in the substrate I can't find him.. LOL I didn't look too hard because I want to let it settle down, but stll he has gone 100% invisible! So excited to try feeding tomorrow(:
yellowlight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cardboardteeth » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:36 am

hey there guys !!

I am soon to be an owner of a blue tongued skink, a juvenile from here, and I just had a question regarding gender! Do males or females tend to be more 'cuddly' and playful or does gender not matter in that regard? thanks for any help !!
mokiemeekie is my sister
very very inactive
cardboardteeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vacant » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:17 pm

beanbun wrote:
hey there guys !!

I am soon to be an owner of a blue tongued skink, a juvenile from here, and I just had a question regarding gender! Do males or females tend to be more 'cuddly' and playful or does gender not matter in that regard? thanks for any help !!

Gender is hard to determine with BTS as there are not any truly noticeable physical differences between males and females. Some more familiar with blueys can sometimes 'eyeball' a gender based on head and hip shape and dimensions, but that's no where near 100% accurate. Unless you can get a proven gender (males will sometimes drop sperm plugs, but even a bluey that never drops them may still be male; or a female that's been bred and had a litter) then knowing your skink's gender is pretty hard.

I honestly don't believe gender makes any difference in temperament. It's much more of an indiviual's personality, occasionally species (northerns are typically regarded as the most docile, but the other species can be just as docile) , and whether the animal was captive born and bred (much more docile), captive bred (typically offspring from a wild caught female - these are typically pretty defensive at first) or wild caught (much more flighty and defensive at first).

Considering you're ordering from SAS, I'm going to guess your bluey will likely be an Indo species that's captive born or wild caught. These little guys may not have the best tempers to begin with, but give them time - and food; as the way to a bluey's heart is through its stomach- and they'll be as good a skink as any! ;u; I'd also recommend taking them to the vet as soon as possible for a check up and parasite test, as wild caught and captive breds can have parasites that can negatively impact their health over time. Make sure you get a proper ID of your skink's species once you do get them, as different species require different humidity levels, and what you see for the image on site with SAS may not always be what you get (they have two different skink species listed there- scincoides and gigas, which is a little concerning). T. Gigas consists of the Indos, Meruakes, and Kei Islands, while T. Scincoides are your Northern, Tanimibar, and Eastern source. T. Gigas require much higher humidity temps than the T. Scincoides species, which means different husbandry. Luckily, they're pretty easy to tell apart if they're not hybrids.

I do have my own bluey, a CBB Northern named Barley (aka- Grump or Pancake), and I'm involved in a lot of other sites that deal with the species. I'd recommend Reptile Mountain TV on YouTube (run by a highly respected BTS breeder from the states) and the blue tongue skink forums for more information on the little pancakes.
---
Vacant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:42 pm

I got my first corn snake! She's very pretty, and funny. She likes to slither around and squeeze into corners or bury herself under her woodchips. She'll also slither into your sleeves.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me