Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Geckos!!! Leopard, Banded, Tokay, Panther.... any kind!

Postby Crum » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:52 am

ok ill try again in a few days... i just feel so bad :(
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 1050allison » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:43 am

heres a better picture of my leopard gecko:) shes not white shes just the average gecko!

my sis also had a gecko,Sam. Sadly it died over thanksgiving break. it was no fault of ours we gave him the best care possible, he wasnt healthy when we got him:( it was really too bad but she got a new gecko for christmas. its a baby and i dont have any pics uploaded yet.
1050allison

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:37 am

Dustin shed again yesterday.. he is getting much better at it now :)
Ugh I feel so bad I was at this pet store in a run down mall and their geckos didnt even have water in their tanks... :(
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Firework* » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:28 pm

So I really want to get a lizard or other reptile. Preferably a bearded dragon. I have a big tank that just needs some tweaking. Thing is, I'm worried I'll freak out when I have to feed it worms or something. I can handle crickets. I've done that before with a class pet. But worms just freak me out and I just can't feed it a mouse. I'd die. Is feeding them worms really that bad or am I just really making a big deal? Also, is it creepy when they shed? I'm worried I'll flip ou then too.
Firework*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bearcups » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Primrose12 wrote:So I really want to get a lizard or other reptile. Preferably a bearded dragon. I have a big tank that just needs some tweaking. Thing is, I'm worried I'll freak out when I have to feed it worms or something. I can handle crickets. I've done that before with a class pet. But worms just freak me out and I just can't feed it a mouse. I'd die. Is feeding them worms really that bad or am I just really making a big deal? Also, is it creepy when they shed? I'm worried I'll flip ou then too.

If you can't even handle the food you're going to feed your reptile then you shouldn't be getting one. Granted, some of the crickets I feed my leopard gecko creep me out (silent crickets - did you notice they're different from the normal cricket we feed them? e___e) but not enough that I can't supplement her properly and feed her.

If you're talking about mealworms, then don't worry about them. They're quite amusing to watch, actually. They look as if they glide along the floor instead of walking. Mice, if I remember correctly, are only supposed to be treats for bearded dragons and they consume a LOT of crickets. They cost a lot of money and need very large tanks, but it's also fun to let them free roam. I'd recommend reptile proofing your home first.
    ┌────────────────────┐
    you took me into your arms
    you taught me to smile, be brave
    you were my teacher, my lover, my life
    but one day, you shot me down
    and i never got back up

└───────────────────────────┘
bearcups

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Firework* » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks. Crickets aren't a problem and there is no way I'd get a pet I know I can't care for. I can definetly feed it crickets and fruit and salad and stuff (because that's what they eat) it's just the worms. You say they aren't a problem? Im just not a worm person. Im sure Id be able to if my beardie needed them though. I'll live with that if I get one. Also, proofing my house won't be a problem and I have a large tank already and the other things Ill buy when/if I get one. Trust me, Im doing a lot of research.I understand their shedding but is it creepy? Like will I be disgusted or do you think if I can handle worms I can handle it? Thanks SO much!
Firework*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bearcups » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:42 am

Primrose12 wrote:Thanks. Crickets aren't a problem and there is no way I'd get a pet I know I can't care for. I can definetly feed it crickets and fruit and salad and stuff (because that's what they eat) it's just the worms. You say they aren't a problem? Im just not a worm person. Im sure Id be able to if my beardie needed them though. I'll live with that if I get one. Also, proofing my house won't be a problem and I have a large tank already and the other things Ill buy when/if I get one. Trust me, Im doing a lot of research.I understand their shedding but is it creepy? Like will I be disgusted or do you think if I can handle worms I can handle it? Thanks SO much!

You shouldn't have a problem with the shedding because you shouldn't touch the dragon when she is shedding, unless she really needs help. Messing with their shedding can cause scales to rip off and end up as open wounds, which can quickly become infected. Reptiles don't show pain or sickness until they are terminal / very, very, very sick, so it's important to take them to the vet regularly. I take my leopard gecko and ocelot gecko to the vet every 4 months.

I don't think you can feed bearded dragons on just crickets and veggies / salads. Bearded dragon lizards are omnivorous, which means that they eat both animal and plant matter. As a rule of thumb, do not feed anything to your lizard that is bigger than the space between their eyes. If you feed them any food items that are bigger than that you could cause impaction or paralysis of the hind legs.

Do you want a list of veggies that you can't feed them? I can find some worms that you might have to come into contact with, too. The worms I see fed to bearded dragons are kind of like giant wax worms. I use them to fatten up my reptiles - they hold very little nutritional value.

Do you know about the nutritional value of crickets and how to raise it?
    ┌────────────────────┐
    and i never got back up

bearcups

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Firework* » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:52 am

This is why Im not getting one yet. Because I understood half that. I would like a list of worms that I might have to feed it, though. And I do know about the thing with the thumb and how they need a variety and not to disturb them during shedding. (Which I meant would I get creeped out watching it) And the cricket question, I dont understand. What do you mean?
Firework*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bearcups » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:03 am

Primrose12 wrote:This is why Im not getting one yet. Because I understood half that. I would like a list of worms that I might have to feed it, though. And I do know about the thing with the thumb and how they need a variety and not to disturb them during shedding. (Which I meant would I get creeped out watching it) And the cricket question, I dont understand. What do you mean?

You need to feed the crickets for them to have any nutritional value. I feed mine fruits and vegetables (don't feed them tomatoes, they turn it into what I could compare to a rancid smelling pit of sludge.) and give them fresh grapes (cut in half) to hydrate them. Sometimes I give them pieces of potatoe that's been left to soak in water. Basically, you need the crickets to be good for the bearded dragon, so you feed the crickets.

As a staple diet, you may need to feed the dragon;

- silk worms.
    - phoenix worms.
    - super worms.
    - horn worms.

As a treat you can feed the dragon;

- wax worms
    - butter worms.
    ┌────────────────────┐
    and i never got back up

bearcups

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Firework* » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:26 am

This is really helping me! Thanks so much! And yeah, now I understand. Lol I wasn't really thinking about feeding the crickets! What kind of crickets do you suggest?
Firework*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me