Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby Megaguirus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:51 am

Charming Charm wrote:
My beardie just had diarrhea. It stinks really bad.
It's never been as bad as this. Last time he pooped it came out solid.

I don't think it could be parasites because that's the only thing wrong with him.
He sleeps, basks, eats, drinks, chases crickets, sheds, and does everything a normal bearded dragon would do.

Don't take that out of the equation just because he's doing everything else fine. Unless there's something stressful going on right now, or he ate something that didn't agree with him (certain foods change their poop), then he might very well have parasites, especially if the next one is the same.

My Nim was losing weight (I could feel his bones more, bones that I wasn't able to feel before) despite everything else being fine. Droppings were normal, appetite was normal, and even his behavior, but he was still losing weight. I took him to the vet and the vet said that his weight was still on the healthy side and Nim looked fine, but the fecal results came back with a moderate count of pinworms.

So, in my opinion, if these bad poops keep up and it isn't one of the two other possibilities I've mentioned, take him to the vet ASAP. Better safe than sorry.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Charming Charm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:38 pm

I think that stress might be it.
He spends a lot of time running around his cage and scraping at the walls.
He has two places to hide, but I should probably add some more decor to his cage, it's quite open.

But before I do that, any tips on keeping my dragon calm? He's about 8 months old.
(His poo came out a bit more solid this time.)

Megaguirus wrote:
Charming Charm wrote:
My beardie just had diarrhea. It stinks really bad.
It's never been as bad as this. Last time he pooped it came out solid.

I don't think it could be parasites because that's the only thing wrong with him.
He sleeps, basks, eats, drinks, chases crickets, sheds, and does everything a normal bearded dragon would do.

Don't take that out of the equation just because he's doing everything else fine. Unless there's something stressful going on right now, or he ate something that didn't agree with him (certain foods change their poop), then he might very well have parasites, especially if the next one is the same.

My Nim was losing weight (I could feel his bones more, bones that I wasn't able to feel before) despite everything else being fine. Droppings were normal, appetite was normal, and even his behavior, but he was still losing weight. I took him to the vet and the vet said that his weight was still on the healthy side and Nim looked fine, but the fecal results came back with a moderate count of pinworms.

So, in my opinion, if these bad poops keep up and it isn't one of the two other possibilities I've mentioned, take him to the vet ASAP. Better safe than sorry.
Charming Charm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Charming Charm wrote:
He has two places to hide, but I should probably add some more decor to his cage, it's quite open.

But before I do that, any tips on keeping my dragon calm? He's about 8 months old.

Does he have dark black lines on his belly? That is a clear sign of stress, they should have grey or nonexistent lines on their belly. More decor should help, things to climb on and around. I've heard that seeing their reflection on the glass of tanks is stressful (dragons are anti-social to their own kind), so some static applicants for the back and sides should do fine (my Nim has a dinosaur themed one I got at the pet store).

Also, even if his cage is huge, letting him run around a room or the house (with supervision) would do him good. My Nim LOVES exploring the house, and then when he's resting he likes bird watching (since I have birds, he doesn't fear them). Dragons are very intelligent lizards and need stimuli.

As you were born to do,

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Charming Charm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Yes! He does have black lines on his belly. He always has, poor guy.
I'll make a run to the pet store this weekend.
Thank so much for your help.

Megaguirus wrote:
Charming Charm wrote:

Does he have dark black lines on his belly? That is a clear sign of stress, they should have grey or nonexistent lines on their belly. More decor should help, things to climb on and around. I've heard that seeing their reflection on the glass of tanks is stressful (dragons are anti-social to their own kind), so some static applicants for the back and sides should do fine (my Nim has a dinosaur themed one I got at the pet store).

Also, even if his cage is huge, letting him run around a room or the house (with supervision) would do him good. My Nim LOVES exploring the house, and then when he's resting he likes bird watching (since I have birds, he doesn't fear them). Dragons are very intelligent lizards and need stimuli.
Charming Charm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SonrienteMuerte » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:43 am

Charming Charm wrote:
Yes! He does have black lines on his belly. He always has, poor guy.
I'll make a run to the pet store this weekend.
Thank so much for your help.

Megaguirus wrote:
Charming Charm wrote:

The lines on the belly don't -Always- mean stress. If he is cold, they could also be black (Though most of the body will also be darker) as they are trying to get warmer. It is a common indication of stress though. Just so there are a couple options.
===========================================================================
.:{Sonriente Muerte}:.

"Not long ago you'd find the answers were so crystal clear
within a day you find yourself living in constant fear
Can you look at yourself now?
Can you look at yourself?
But you can't win this fight."

~Welcome to the Family ; Avenged Sevenfold

My Birthday Is Feb 13th!!
SonrienteMuerte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:57 am

How do you get a beardie who's syringe feeding on baby food to switch back to solid food?
They tell me they don't starve themselves, but he hasn't eaten since December so I thought I'd give it a try and he took right to it. I let it go because he had just come out of hibernation and it's breeding season but he was losing weight. He gained it back now but I still can't get him to eat greens.
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SonrienteMuerte » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:24 am

control wrote:How do you get a beardie who's syringe feeding on baby food to switch back to solid food?
They tell me they don't starve themselves, but he hasn't eaten since December so I thought I'd give it a try and he took right to it. I let it go because he had just come out of hibernation and it's breeding season but he was losing weight. He gained it back now but I still can't get him to eat greens.

Have you tried live food?
.:{Sonriente Muerte}:.

"Not long ago you'd find the answers were so crystal clear
within a day you find yourself living in constant fear
Can you look at yourself now?
Can you look at yourself?
But you can't win this fight."

~Welcome to the Family ; Avenged Sevenfold

My Birthday Is Feb 13th!!
SonrienteMuerte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:57 pm

SonrienteMuerte wrote:
control wrote:How do you get a beardie who's syringe feeding on baby food to switch back to solid food?

Yep, they get dubias every third day. He'll go after them just fine. Just not veggies. I've tried putting the vegged underneath the greens too to make them more enticing but nope. But he sure loves baby food, the pain
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:09 pm

control wrote:
SonrienteMuerte wrote:

Yep, they get dubias every third day. He'll go after them just fine. Just not veggies. I've tried putting the vegged underneath the greens too to make them more enticing but nope. But he sure loves baby food, the pain

Have you put baby food on the greens? I've heard that some dragons need a "dressing" of baby food or fruit juice to eat their greens.

Then the second option is to puree down the greens into a baby food like consistency, so then he'll get the nutrition of the greens, but in the form of baby food.

As you were born to do,

Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:02 pm

Oh, hm, haven't tried it, but it might work. I could try pollen too, I suppose.

That''s the other option, yeah, but I'm hoping to avoid it. I would prefer to be able to just drop his salad in quick like the others and not have to take the time to syringe feed. But I'll do it if I have to haha
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me