Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby SplashofOrangeJuice » Tue May 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Your guys' bps are sooo cute! Adorable names too!
╔══════════════╗

░░░░░░░ ❚❚ ► ░░░░░░

kota // artist
🌵just your average art nerd🌵

my gallery.
my tumblr,

message me

*tumblr sometimes nsfw

╚══════════════╝
SplashofOrangeJuice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:38 am

Does anyone know of a service that will deliver weekly (or just deliver in general) a small amount of crickets every week? Like 20 a week. Everything I've found is like 100-1000 a week and I don't have somewhere to store them so that won't work.
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fascai » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:17 am

Crum wrote:Does anyone know of a service that will deliver weekly (or just deliver in general) a small amount of crickets every week? Like 20 a week. Everything I've found is like 100-1000 a week and I don't have somewhere to store them so that won't work.

You likely aren't going to be able to find a source that ships such a low quantity of crickets. It's not worth it in the end for the company or the consumer once you factor the cost of the crickets and the shipping.

You can usually go to Petsmart or Petco and crickets. You may be able to find a local reptile shop as well.
Fascai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Fascai wrote:
Crum wrote:Does anyone know of a service that will deliver weekly (or just deliver in general) a small amount of crickets every week? Like 20 a week. Everything I've found is like 100-1000 a week and I don't have somewhere to store them so that won't work.

You likely aren't going to be able to find a source that ships such a low quantity of crickets. It's not worth it in the end for the company or the consumer once you factor the cost of the crickets and the shipping.

You can usually go to Petsmart or Petco and crickets. You may be able to find a local reptile shop as well.

Well thats my problem, there is no where I can get them where I will be going :\ And I will not be able to keep them in my room (dorm). I am trying to figure out a way to bring my gecko but without the crickets I cant do that until I have a house or apartment.
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wishful Thinking. » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:43 pm

hey guys, I believe I posted on here once but that was a long time ago. I have a leopard gecko named Lucario. I recently moved to an apartment and I keep him at my dad's house. Lately I've been thinking of moving him here with me but I'm nervous about asking my landlord. I've got to go to the office soon to renew my lease anyways and I think that would be a good time to ask, I'm just afraid she'll say no :c
Wishful Thinking.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jayus » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:59 am

soooo we might be getting a crestie, anybody got experience making their own vivs?
jayus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby saffrons » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:27 am

I have a corn snake named Saffron and although she was a little feisty at first she's an absolute sweetheart now. I handle her daily (except after feeding of course) and she's settled right down, she'll even let me pet her head now!
█▓▒░xxxxxxx
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░○
█▓▒░
█▓▒░xxx
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░He/him
█▓▒░Snake dad
█▓▒░Bi
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
♦Worms come out of the woodwork♦
♢Leeches crawl from out of the dirt♢
♦Rats come out of the holes they call home♦
♢I fall apart and the snakes start to sing♢
saffrons

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jayus » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:24 am

Wishful Thinking. wrote:
    hey guys, I believe I posted on here once but that was a long time ago. I have a leopard gecko named Lucario. I recently moved to an apartment and I keep him at my dad's house. Lately I've been thinking of moving him here with me but I'm nervous about asking my landlord. I've got to go to the office soon to renew my lease anyways and I think that would be a good time to ask, I'm just afraid she'll say no :c

I'd explain to your landlord what sort of pet leopard geckos are. They're not aquatic, so there's no risk of a tank leak. They're... basically hypoallergenic? As far as I know, but there could be some poor person who's allergic. They don't run loudly across the floor & they don't bark. Basically one of the lowest disturbance pets out there.

And no offense but lookin at the other posts komodo person sounds like a troll. Just saying. I can't find whether or not they're legal, but let's say they are. They're exotic, so a permit would be needed. You have to have a reason to get them, they cannot just be pets. Therefore, you also have to prove reliability, which would probably not include keeping 3 territorial dragons together. Now, they're also venomous. While you can have monitors in California, I do not believe you can have venomous pets. So, that means somebody "18+" who recently claims to have eaten a fidget spinner somehow managed to import not one, not two, but three dragons? The costs of getting a komodo dragon illegally smuggled into California (credentials: I live here) would require somebody sharp enough to figure out a way & have money; that type of person would actually know about komodo dragon care, and would more than likely not be boasting about them on a children's site. That, in addition to the sheer cost of feeding three fully grown dragons just makes those claims improbable, especially considering no substantial proof has been provided.

We're definitely getting at least one crestie! I'm fixing up a 18x18x36 inch terrarium that I got off Craigslist for a decent price. My brother saved up a lot of his own money & did a decent amount of research (I did too) so we're surprising him with a crestie he'll pick out for his 8th grade graduation. Pretty excited to be honest.
jayus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fascai » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:22 am

jayus wrote:
Wishful Thinking. wrote:

I'd explain to your landlord what sort of pet leopard geckos are. They're not aquatic, so there's no risk of a tank leak. They're... basically hypoallergenic? As far as I know, but there could be some poor person who's allergic. They don't run loudly across the floor & they don't bark. Basically one of the lowest disturbance pets out there.

Typically, an apartment complex only asks for animal deposits on dogs or cats. In my experience (I've lived in a lot of different complexes with my reptiles), they don't typically have any regulations on small animals aside from fish tanks depending on what floor you are on. I wouldn't be nervous at all! Just ask and be willing to educate a little on your leos if the office manager isn't familiar with them. I don't think they'd give you any trouble.
Fascai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blueh » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:39 am

Wednesday is going to be a busy day...Going up to another rescue about an hour away from here to pick up a uromastyx that they're having trouble with. Apparently their old owner was.... not good oml. I haven't seen the animal yet so this is going to be a mess but from what I've heard:

-eye infection in one eye
-won't eat
-apparently the old owner fed it pasta
-had no heat lamp or any other source of heat
-pasta
-lived in a 5 gallon aquarium
-it was literally fed pasta and managed to survive

I have no idea how its lived up to this long and honestly the odds aren't great but since uros are my thing I agreed to take it in.... This'll be an interesting (and expensive) next two weeks. On top of this, I'm still building my outdoor uro enclosures and three new 4x2 enclosures.

On an even more interesting note... Got a call from our neighbor about a copperhead in her yard so I went down with all my gear ready to catch & release on uninhabited territory but. it wasn't just one. There were five juvenile copperheads in her yard and probably more that I couldn't catch. They were all released on airport territory where humans can't go and disturb them &
the land will never be able to be developed.

disclaimer: please do not handle or get near venomous snakes unless you've worked with them before or have expert help. These animals are VERY, VERY dangerous

my reptiles (aka my personal pets)
1.1 Uromastyx geyri, 3.1 Uromastyx ornata, 1.0 Uromastyx acanthinurus nigriventris, 2.0 piebald ball pythons, 1.0 puma ball python

i study lizards & bugs and like animals

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
blueh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me