LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby leiawolfe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:45 pm

HI EVERYONE! I'm thinking of adopting a female baby bun! (Mixed small breed, mini lop?) I'm currently having a 7 week "trial" with my friend's rabbit, who is on holiday now. Right now he lives in a hut outside (my [future rabbit] will live indoors though), with the occasional (1-4 times a day, depending on heat) "run around the garden sessions", which are around 5-45 minutes each, he usually goes back into the hut when he's had enough, and wants some food. (HE ALSO TRIES TO EAT OUR SILVERBEET WHEN HE'S OUTSIDE XD LOL).

I would like to have an indoor rabbit, easy to litter-train. I'd like a friendly sort of rabbit, too. My parents are considering a rabbit, because we're currently taking care of a rabbit, so we know how/what it's like to care for a rabbit! :) I'd just like to have a bun as a pet, not to breed. If I'm correct, this means I should spay it? :D

Also: Are lop-eared, mini lop or any small friendly breed easy to train? Rabbit experts, please tell me!
I may be posting here quite frequently, as I may probably need some answers to any bun questions. A lot of people have mixed feelings about this, but.... Is it actually BORING to own a rabbit? People say this so much! Do you agree, or is it very pleasurable to have a bun? Thanks!
I think I know why my friend thinks its boring to own one, she keeps her rabbit in a cage outside, so she only sees him about once or twice a day, which means they cannot form a bond together, by not spending time.

Also, I have a dog. he is quite friendly, a 2 1/2 year old Spoodle/Cockerpoo. I own a budgie, which he is so suprisingly friendly with! So I'm thinking he'll be okay with at bun in the house. I'll also like to have one of those enclosed litters, as in the box ones, so the smell won't be out to annoy the family indoors.

Thank you anyone who answers any/all my questions! I'd like a PM or post here please! :) Thanks again so much! :D

P.S: I have researched, and have found out that vaccinations are vital for a rabbit's needs, and boosters each year are great.

P.P.S: HOW MANY TIMES DOES A BABY RABBIT NEED VET CHECKS, WORMING/TREATING/VACCINATING? PLEASE ANSWER TOO, THANK SO SO MUCH FOR THE HELP! :D
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:21 pm

A-...anyone?
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby . mira . » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:33 am

@LeiaWolfe, hi! I have a few month old Netherland Dwarf rabbit, and I don't think she's spayed. I do not recommend breeding. My bunny LOVES obstacle courses and runs through them. Also, bunnies get heart attacks easily. My grandma's rabbit was chased by a dog, got a heart attack, and died. I don't recommend introducing dogs and bunnies. I actually do not take my rabbit to the vet, and she is perfectly healthy. FYI, rabbits are totally NOT boring pets!! They're awesome. One more thing. My bunny doesn't like pellets and that probably depends on the rabbit. But, I'd suggest a food such as Ecotrition or Blue Seal Hutch Deluxe rabbit food.
──-───────────────────────
hi, i'm mira. i'm into all things equine, especia
lly hunter jumping, as well as, realistic animal
roleplays. i am a bunny and doberman mom.

───────────────────────-──
──-───────────────────
she/her // straight // american
christian // optimist

───────────────────-──
──-──TO───────────────
pm me any time to talk, i'm friendly.
────────────PASS───-──
──-───────────────────
if you're wondering, the glass is half full.
signature credit

───────────────────-──
. mira .

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Takara » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:42 am

@ LeiaWolfe
I didn't answer previously because I do not have experience with all that was mentioned in your post. Spaying your bunny is optional, even if you don't want to breed. As long as she's not kept with other rabbits, she'll won't have babies.
From my experience, bunnies and dogs can be introduced to each other, but do it slowly (Start out with a baby gate or barrier between them, and see how they react to each other before continuing.) You'll need to supervise the whole thing and keep the dog on a leash when introducing, just in case. If they'll be compatible mostly depends on your dogs temperament.
Takara

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Takara wrote:@ LeiaWolfe
I didn't answer previously because I do not have experience with all that was mentioned in your post. Spaying your bunny is optional, even if you don't want to breed. As long as she's not kept with other rabbits, she'll won't have babies.
From my experience, bunnies and dogs can be introduced to each other, but do it slowly (Start out with a baby gate or barrier between them, and see how they react to each other before continuing.) You'll need to supervise the whole thing and keep the dog on a leash when introducing, just in case. If they'll be compatible mostly depends on your dogs temperament.

Thanks! My dog's temperament is quite calm, and I'm thinking of doing this very slowly. I also need my dog to NOT chase the rabbit.
leah
australia
she/her
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:26 pm

Omg hi everyone! Today I got my very first baby bunny! :D She is 8 weeks old in 3 days, and she is a Netherland Dwarf, super small and super cute! ;) She is a grey-blue, and quite shy ATM. She hasn't eaten anything since we got her though, but I suppose that's normal. She also hasn't peed or pooped.

Edit; next day.: She's pooped overnight and eaten a little hay. (She also peed on me twice, and my dad once XD NOO). Since yesterday, she just loves climbing up to your shoulder XD! But she's not eating much..
leah
australia
she/her
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spooky-Spaghetti » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:08 pm

My rabbit is a lionhead mini Rex mix and since he's a mix he has the most pathetic little mane xD
Love butterfly wolves, canines, and deer
Also play:
FurVilla ~ Flight Rising ~ Ovipets
Feel free to message/add me here or anywhere else
Spooky-Spaghetti

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby L U C I F E R » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:09 am

Hi, I have two bunnies, Rupert and Poppy.
I've had Rupert for a few years and Poppy I got last year. However, Poppy has an incredibly bad habit of chewing EVERYRHING which has now passed onto Rupert.
I got her a wodden chew ball but she's uninterested and Rupert only likes things like paper that he can destroy (e.eg. wallpaper and music books).
Any recommendations for toys to get them?
L U C I F E R

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Polly44 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:15 am

My god, Biscuit is moulting like there is no tomorrow. I brushed her again today and got a new Rabbit from it. xD She ain't a fan of being brushed though. It makes her jump, heh. Don't think she likes the feel of the brush, but unfortunately it's the best one for getting the fur out.

@fawnwater
Balls can be a bit awkward to chew. My Biscuit loves chewing wooden blocks that my mum got for her parrots, but that they don't like. And if one likes paper i'd recommend the Yellow Pages book! Just remove the plastic covers and then your bunnies have an awesome book to chew/shred to their hearts content.
Polly44

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rose Gold <3 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:23 pm

I have 6 bunnies. 4 are males and 2 are females They are all outdoor bunnies, but me and my mom do occasionally bring one inside to hop around for a few hours.
Rose Gold <3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me