* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Tabbster » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:15 pm

l Luna l wrote:SO!!!!! I haven't posted here in foreverrrrr but here's an update to my collection of fine feathered friends <3

we have: 2 finches (as we've always had.)
2 canaries!!! we have a yellow female fife and a green buff male fife
and!! I HAVE A PARAKEET NOW <33
Her full name is Novarakhiin Ysodreid but we just call her Nova for short (it's a skyrim thing :>)
she's a "rare" parakeet according to the girl we got her from and she's only around 4 months old. she's grey and she's got black and white striping/barring with these cute lil blue cheeks <3

i'm also getting a blue celestial parrotlet in August!!

I wouldn't call them quite "rare" I see a lot of them at the local pet stores and breeders but... she sounds adorable! I must see pictures of little nova! :D
Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby koi.fish » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:58 pm

-
Last edited by koi.fish on Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
██
██
██
██
██
──── 𝐤 𝐨 𝐢𝐟 𝐢 𝐬 𝐡 ─────────────────────────────
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
feel free to call me koi,
whatever floats your boat
she/they ● AEDT ● average
fish and chips enjoyer

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

┌────────────────────┐

I have anxiety and overthink
a lot so please be patient if
I’m slow with replies

Thank you :3

└────────────────────┘
koi.fish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xofrnk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:18 pm

hello everyone on this topic ! i just got two budgies yesterday !! here they are:
this is jimin:
this is jin:

they're quite skiddish, and they don't exactly like me at the moment. i tried feeding them some millet in my hand earlier, but jimin ruffled his feathers and flew away from me in the cage, and jin flew out of the cage, so i had to go and catch him. i guess i'll have to wait until they get settled into the cage and my house.

any tips on owning new budgies?
Image Image
xofrnk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Annebird » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Just time and patience! It's not a good idea to rush things, sticking your hand in there when they are not comfortable with their new environment it just a setback; much easier to get them used to your presence and voice. Try sitting in front of the cage (at a reasonable distance) within 1-2 days of h. Place them in a quiet place until they've adapted and then gradually move them towards a place in your home with much family life!
My experience with budgies is that they tend to be a lil' more stubborn and hard to train, but with time and patience they can be really fun companions! Nothing with birds tends to happen overnight :)
Hiss
Annebird

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby akuma <3 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 am

Mar 3, 2017 11-21-06 AM.jpg
Mar 3, 2017 11-21-06 AM.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 37 times

here's my lil baby Nova <3
(sorry for abhorrent photo quality, bad camera on my laptop.)
Image 𝚊𝚔𝚞𝚖𝚊 ~ ♡ Image
she/her - adult -
x | x | x
akuma <3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tabbster » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:49 pm

l Luna l wrote:
Mar 3, 2017 11-21-06 AM.jpg

here's my lil baby Nova <3
(sorry for abhorrent photo quality, bad camera on my laptop.)

How cute! I can't tell for certain by the photo, but she looks like a male to me.. could just be her age though? :lol: At the bird show I'll be looking for a violet/dark violet budgie... I've seen a lot of females but not many males!
Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Yooooo~ I just started thinking (like haven't even mentioned it to Mum and Dad yet lol, even though it's been flitting in my mind for a wee while now) about getting a cockatiel, but I have a few questions to consider first c:

1. If I plan to spend a lot of time with it, will I need to get two anyway, or will just the one be alright? (I'll be letting it fly around the budgie-aviary now and then, too)
  2. If I let it hang with the budgies occasionally, will it be less interested in me?
  3. What age does the window of opportunity to teach them to speak close?
  4. Are males or females more talkative?
  5. What sized cage do they usually need?
  6. Are they usually okay interacting with other birds?

I think that's all for now lol cx Thanks for any help/tips/advice! c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:07 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
Yooooo~ I just started thinking (like haven't even mentioned it to Mum and Dad yet lol, even though it's been flitting in my mind for a wee while now) about getting a cockatiel, but I have a few questions to consider first c:

1. If I plan to spend a lot of time with it, will I need to get two anyway, or will just the one be alright? (I'll be letting it fly around the budgie-aviary now and then, too) No, you'll only need to get one if you plan on spending a lot of time with it. Cockatiels are social birds, but you can be their social life if you do have the time. Back when I had only one tiel, she'd scream if I left the room without her. But then when I got a second a couple of years later, they only had separation anxiety when it came to each other.
  2. If I let it hang with the budgies occasionally, will it be less interested in me? Most likely not. Every tiel I have absolutely hates parakeets. The best way I can put it is if you put an extrovert and an introvert in the same room. The parakeet (the extrovert) will stress out the tiel (the introvert) so much that it'll end up hating the thing. However, I have seen cases where a tiel and parakeet form a strong bond. But this is just my experience.
  3. What age does the window of opportunity to teach them to speak close? Can't help much on that one. But they do learn better if there is just one.
  4. Are males or females more talkative? I've found males are the most talkative.
  6. Are they usually okay interacting with other birds? Typically, yes, but it depends on the bird. My conure will attack them as he asserts his domanance over them, and the parakeet will want to interact with them so badly she stresses them out. Tiels, at least mine, aren't too fond of birds other than their own kind, and even then, some want more space than others.

Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Megaguirus wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:

1. If I plan to spend a lot of time with it, will I need to get two anyway, or will just the one be alright? (I'll be letting it fly around the budgie-aviary now and then, too) No, you'll only need to get one if you plan on spending a lot of time with it. Cockatiels are social birds, but you can be their social life if you do have the time. Back when I had only one tiel, she'd scream if I left the room without her. But then when I got a second a couple of years later, they only had separation anxiety when it came to each other.
  2. If I let it hang with the budgies occasionally, will it be less interested in me? Most likely not. Every tiel I have absolutely hates parakeets. The best way I can put it is if you put an extrovert and an introvert in the same room. The parakeet (the extrovert) will stress out the tiel (the introvert) so much that it'll end up hating the thing. However, I have seen cases where a tiel and parakeet form a strong bond. But this is just my experience.
  3. What age does the window of opportunity to teach them to speak close? Can't help much on that one. But they do learn better if there is just one.
  4. Are males or females more talkative? I've found males are the most talkative.
  6. Are they usually okay interacting with other birds? Typically, yes, but it depends on the bird. My conure will attack them as he asserts his domanance over them, and the parakeet will want to interact with them so badly she stresses them out. Tiels, at least mine, aren't too fond of birds other than their own kind, and even then, some want more space than others.

Thanks so much! :D <3
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Galactic-Blood » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:37 pm

Username: Galactic-Blood
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 1
How long have you had them?: since 2014
What brings you to the bird chat?: Idk I just really like birds!
I own a cockatiel names Rocket:) She's a White-face pearl!
Galactic-Blood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me