Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:07 am

^OMG he's adorable! I love Pits, especially brindle ones. :D
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:39 am

So, I'm bringing home a red heeler mix puppy!!

Just to see if he's a fit for my family, nothing permanent. His name is Cooper and he's around 6-7 months old, house trained and everything. Highly trainable, he's very food motivated, which I love because IMO treats and positive reinforcement are the easiest ways to train puppies. However, he does have a problem with nipping, apparently when he went through his teething stage when he was younger, his previous owners did not teach him that nipping people was wrong and actually encouraged it. For that reason he is not going to be having any contact with my daughter this weekend.
I always supervise when she is with dogs, but neither Spade or Xeno nip or bite, so if she ever just happens to poke their eyes or stick a finger in their ear they are tolerant and would get up and move away from her rather than biting.

I'll upload pics when he gets home!
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:35 am

halogen. wrote:So, I'm bringing home a red heeler mix puppy!!

Just to see if he's a fit for my family, nothing permanent. His name is Cooper and he's around 6-7 months old, house trained and everything. Highly trainable, he's very food motivated, which I love because IMO treats and positive reinforcement are the easiest ways to train puppies. However, he does have a problem with nipping, apparently when he went through his teething stage when he was younger, his previous owners did not teach him that nipping people was wrong and actually encouraged it. For that reason he is not going to be having any contact with my daughter this weekend.
I always supervise when she is with dogs, but neither Spade or Xeno nip or bite, so if she ever just happens to poke their eyes or stick a finger in their ear they are tolerant and would get up and move away from her rather than biting.

Ahhh! I love Heelers.. You Are Gonna Get yourself a good looking dog!
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:44 am

halogen. wrote:So, I'm bringing home a red heeler mix puppy!!

Sounds like a sweetie! I know the nipping feels, my first dog was an APBT/Aussie mix and honestly one of the most difficult dogs I've ever owned. I loved him more than anything, and I'm sure he would've turned out great with more time, but I was ALWAYS covered in bites. Herding dogs are not for me, haha, especially when you combine it with APBT prey drive and strength.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Faybell » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Aw, cute! Can't wait to see pictures. Healers are adorable. <3

And ouch, I hope you can teach him rather quickly. Aika was super bad about nipping the first week. She'd nip your heals and try and shake them if you ignored her... it hurt pretty bad lol. Luckily it didn't take too long for her to learn nipping leads to us stopping play time. She still nips occasionally when she forgets or just wants to be a brat but it's at least MUCH softer now and usually stops when I tell her no bites.
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Day 6! Theme: Corn!

I was heavily judged by my neighbor's for todays photoshoot lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby orchid.dreams » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Kes is so adorable! What do you mean by heavily judged? Lol
orchid.dreams

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:25 pm

He's here!! Cooper is literally a ball of energy, he never stops!! Luckily there was no more nipping after I took him for a run(only 30mins) and got him tired out. Nothing like Spade, who I have to run for at least 2 hours, then work on tricks for least an hour to fully tire her out haha!

Vashti didn't really care about him, sniffed him for a bit and went on her way...until he started trying to mount her... Vashti's an old girl, so I never really notice when she goes into heat and Xeno is neutered so, yeah. She snapped and growled a bit until he got the message to leave her alone.
Xeno and Cooper are okay, had a bit of a stare down, but they're cool now.

Cooper and Spade did have a...run in, so to call it. There is a gate you have to open to get into my back yard and apparently it was left open, don't know by who but it was.
Spade barked and Cooper ran out to the backyard, and I tried to grab his collar, but its one of those really thin puppy/kitten collars, so it snapped right off of his neck. She did grab his neck, but there was a split second where she let go to get a better grip and he took his chance to zoom off. Luckily I know how hard Spade is on her chain so I have her on a thick one with a nice 2inch collar so her neck won't get damaged when she jerks on it, so she wasn't able to get off. Cooper wasn't hurt and didn't really care after that happened, he just stuck to the front yard, and ofc now I'm paranoid about the gate and constantly checking if its closed.

Anyways here he is, the only pic I got of him:

You can see there just how thin that collar is. I honestly hate buckle collars, ugh.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Unique.Potato wrote:Kes is so adorable! What do you mean by heavily judged? Lol

Apparently it's not quite normal to pop your dog up on a chicken coop and hand them corn? Everyone that drove past slowed way down and were gawking at us lol.

And thank you! This was my second choice for today lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby orchid.dreams » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Lol doesn't matter because Kes can definitely make it work with any object XD