Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby LizzytheWolf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:33 pm

I probably shouldn't be asking this but I will anyway.

Charlie is out of control. I asked one of the ladies at the shelter what they're doing to help him and she said she doesn't know. The manager comes around every few days and she seems to have an understanding of how to handle him. Nobody but the manager ever really goes near his cage, I tried to calm him down with treats but he ignores them and keeps barking like he's a hound from hell.
I know he's not my dog but I want to help him find a home.

The first really cold day today, I took the dogs out and the park was closed today. We aimlessly walked around town and ended up on a deserted street, all the houses there are abandoned and there's a graveyard on one side which makes it even creepier than usual.

I'd love to start riding my bike now that the weather is bearable. I want to see how Justin would do walking next to a bike. Any tips?
I have quit. Goodbye.
Profile pic is art of my GSD/Elkound mix, Justin. Credit to Kasezki on Deviantart.
LizzytheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:35 pm

LizzytheWolf wrote:I probably shouldn't be asking this but I will anyway.

Charlie is out of control. I asked one of the ladies at the shelter what they're doing to help him and she said she doesn't know. The manager comes around every few days and she seems to have an understanding of how to handle him. Nobody but the manager ever really goes near his cage, I tried to calm him down with treats but he ignores them and keeps barking like he's a hound from hell.

The first really cold day today, I took the dogs out and the park was closed today. We aimlessly walked around town and ended up on a deserted street, all the houses there are abandoned and there's a graveyard on one side which makes it even creepier than usual.

I'd love to start riding my bike now that the weather is bearable. I want to see how Justin would do walking next to a bike. Any tips?

Charlie: If Charlie is not ready to go to an adoptive home have then considered a foster home? Perhaps with another rescue and obviously with someone who is used to working with dogs like him.

Here's a training video that may help with Charlie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR0au_e0Cno

Justin: Walking beside the back is a great way to start. When your ready to progress though I recommend you using a system that can attach Justin to your bike safely. You do not want him to get too close to the bike where he could get hurt nor do you want him hurting you. Holding or tying the leash to your handle bars is not a safe option. Check out the WalkyDog system, though there may be others on the market http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/biking-your-dog.html. Do not bike with a leash attached to your dog's neck, this can cause major health problems, use a harness. https://dogmantics.com/is-it-harmful-to-attach-a-leash-to-your-dogs-neck-2/
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Day 4 of the challenge today. Theme is Sun

I also want to brag on Kes for a bit. This dog has been my rock today. I lost one of my goats and am looking at possibly having to sell my <3 goat since she is now alone. I've been trying not to cry since I found him, and she's been amazing with cuddling up to me whenever I need her to.

My hip went totally stiff during agility and she did so amazing with working from a distance since I was unable to fully keep up with her. Even hit her weaves entrance really well from a super odd angle! I seriously don't know what I'd do without her
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:05 pm

So Lilly still has a habit of following me into the bathroom.
It's not nearly as bad as the first couple of days we had her, but for some reason I tend to get the best pictures in the bathroom?
I don't understand???
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:17 pm

^ LOL Good lighting maybe? I love her eyes.

@.Middy. - Gorgeous photo and gorgeous dog. :)
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LizzytheWolf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:45 pm

Imzadi83 wrote:
LizzytheWolf wrote:I probably shouldn't be asking this but I will anyway.

Charlie: If Charlie is not ready to go to an adoptive home have then considered a foster home? Perhaps with another rescue and obviously with someone who is used to working with dogs like him.

Here's a training video that may help with Charlie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR0au_e0Cno

Justin: Walking beside the back is a great way to start. When your ready to progress though I recommend you using a system that can attach Justin to your bike safely. You do not want him to get too close to the bike where he could get hurt nor do you want him hurting you. Holding or tying the leash to your handle bars is not a safe option. Check out the WalkyDog system, though there may be others on the market http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/biking-your-dog.html. Do not bike with a leash attached to your dog's neck, this can cause major health problems, use a harness. https://dogmantics.com/is-it-harmful-to-attach-a-leash-to-your-dogs-neck-2/

I'll see if they're trying to foster and I'll definitely show them that video, it looks like it could help a lot. He's such a beautiful dog with so much potential, I can't wait to go back to the shelter today.
I almost always use a harness for Justin so that's no problem, I'll see how much the leash is at PetSmart or look at Amazon if they don't have it. Thank you!
I have quit. Goodbye.
Profile pic is art of my GSD/Elkound mix, Justin. Credit to Kasezki on Deviantart.
LizzytheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flossie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:40 am

Just curious, is it a good idea to bring your current dog with you when you pick up a new puppy? And sorta seeing which puppy the current dog might bond with?
Flossie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:41 am

Flossie wrote:Just curious, is it a good idea to bring your current dog with you when you pick up a new puppy? And sorta seeing which puppy the current dog might bond with?

Yes, Thats a good idea
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:02 am

Flossie wrote:Just curious, is it a good idea to bring your current dog with you when you pick up a new puppy? And sorta seeing which puppy the current dog might bond with?

it can be a good idea and it can be a bad one....
i think it depends on the breeder too...a good older breeder often can tell if a dog will be good for you and your dog even when you think it is a good one they can say it could be a bad one...
and your dog can be nice to a puppy at the breeder and attack and hate it at home....
you only can try it ou hope for the best and see what happens....even when you go without a second dog..

whe you know your dog well, and it is well trained .... and you are ready to attack your own dog when it trys something stupid with a puppy...and has all its meds so puppy cant get sick, and such...why not...try it.

@ CreamyFloof
it sounds as if you have many dogs...who have there own problems....
i think you may want to get a good trainer that comes home to you too and works with all dogs... not only misty or stacy...

can it be that non of your dogs is altered? when you have females and males that have problems with each other it can become more crazy whe one is in heat...

but i would say Training... training and training could be the first step...now and then new things :!:
you may need to do way more training with each dog alone, different dogs together and all dogs together....
how much do you do with each dog each day :?:
maybe they want something else to do, want more training or new things in training...and they maybe do look for something to do and when they dont get it they start fights..
realy not sure...

Last edited by Luzien on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:36 am

Next up in the Sen chronicles.. He has no control of his neck up, I swear. I got home and let him out of his crate. Cue yipping/screaming, bouncing, spinning.. HAPPPPYYY. He can bounce chest high on me so I put my hands up to grab him midjump like usual. I missed, he missed.. He was mid-scream and my hand went into his mouth and he CRUNCHED. Sentry, ypuve betrayed me. If hes hyped up anything near his face gets chomped. Its kind of a problem, lmao. He immedaitely went OH NO and started being sweet appeasement puppy. :/ I have a great bruise today.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes