Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby The Placebo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:22 am

Ball Python is a good choice, however babies can be very picky eaters. But if you purchase one that has a good feeding record, the chances that it will refuse are kinda slim. Never feed live. I've had many rescues that have scars all over from being chewed on by mice or rats, it's heart breaking. If they do eat live, try to wean it to taking frozen-thawed.

The other's I would say are good starter snakes are:
~ Corn snakes: They are colorful, depending on which morph you get, but they are fast and can be nippy as babies, but they quickly grow out of it. (Not pricey, actually very cheap!)
~Hognose snakes, yes they are rear-fanged and have a mild venom, but I have never seen one that will willingly bite and chew on a person. (Can be somewhat pricey, depending on the breeder/morph.)
~Russian/Korean ratsnake: I HIGHLY recommend these guys. I have a female, and she's quite old, but she is one of the sweetest and curious snakes I have in my collection. They have an exotic look to them and are an overall awesome species. (Not pricey, not as cheap as a corn, but well worth it!)
~Spotted Python: An Aussie species that barely reach 5' in length. Very pretty, my sister has a few. They're also very cool and sweet little snakes, but they have been known to go on and off of feeding. (More pricey, depending on the breeder.

I welcome all trades.

I am an avid gift bomber!
People gifted: 457
The Placebo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RainbowFinch » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:24 am

I thought I would come in and say Hi. I have a snake, I got him about five months ago, probably more but I lost track of time. He is a baby Mexican Black Kingsnake named Lucifer. He is quite a little devil sometimes, never tries to bite me but used to love musking me when I first got him (he only does it know if I startle him). He gets cranky on the days he knows it is mealtime, he is a GLUTTON! He will eat anything you give him (I only feed frozen by the way). If you want a good eater a Kingsnake hardly ever refuses a meal; Lucifer has never said no and probably never will unless he is stuffed. He is also gorgeous, still a baby he still has some yellow markings but eventually they will all go away and he will be pure black; with a very smooth underbelly. They cannot live with any other snake though, they are Cannibalistic. So they will eat other snakes if given the chance. When Lucifer gets grumpy he fake rattles his tail and sometimes musks, but I never had any problem handling him once he settles down in your hands. He just needs slow steady handling, can't be quick or he will startle.

If you can stand musking then Kingsnake's are good, I never been bitten but I been handling him since he was tinny baby. I have had problems with Cornsnakes biting me, or at least trying (it doesn't hurt just a bit of a shock cause so bloody fast). I love Ball Pythons and Sand Boas, I LOVE Sand Boas and that was my second choice for a snake. They can be very picky eaters though.

Edit: Decided to add a picture of Lucifer!
Second day after I got him, I should take newer pictures he is so big compared to this.
RainbowFinch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Masquerade » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:58 am

Thank you for all the information. As I said before, I don't know if I'm actully getting the snake, my dad now is taking a favoring towards Hedgehogs. Though thanks for all the help. I'll look into everything more and get an idea of what I'm going to choose, though your tips help out alot.

@PinkSpaniel: Lucifer is adorable! Do you plan on joining this thread?
hello!! i am retired, but feel free to message me if you ever need some help <3
Helpful links for New Members!
Adopt a Newbie - Newbie Guide & Index - Help Tickets - GHAA: Free Pets for Newbies
Lady Masquerade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Hedgie are tough, I'd prefer snakes for sure.

And as for good betinner snakes, Corns, Kings, Ball pythons, Rosy boas, and sand boas are all good snakes. BPs can be very picky, and often will refuse anything but live food, so if you get one make absolutely sure it eats frozen.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RainbowFinch » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:06 pm

Sure ^_^

[center]User: PinkSpaniel
Why you want to join: I love snakes they are my favorite reptile.
Do you have a snake: Yes I do. A Black Mexican Kingsnake, named Lucifer.
Password: Silver
[/center]
RainbowFinch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Masquerade » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:32 pm

PinkSpaniel wrote:
Sure ^_^

[center]User: PinkSpaniel
Why you want to join: I love snakes they are my favorite reptile.
Do you have a snake: Yes I do. A Black Mexican Kingsnake, named Lucifer.
Password: Silver
[/center]

Accepted!
hello!! i am retired, but feel free to message me if you ever need some help <3
Helpful links for New Members!
Adopt a Newbie - Newbie Guide & Index - Help Tickets - GHAA: Free Pets for Newbies
Lady Masquerade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hellagia » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Yea, Gucci's being picky about her food. T_T But since she's got sores, her vet's having me tube-feed her so that she can keep her weight and health up while getting better.
Last edited by Hellagia on Mon November 9, 66174026 BCE 12:01 AM, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Look, a shooting star! Make a wish. Wait, why is it getting bigger.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hellagia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby varoujan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:12 pm

User:varoujan
Why you want to join:I love reptiles! One of my friends breeds ball pythons.
Do you have a snake: No but I really want a corn snake. My mom wont let me have any pets besides my dog right now but I plan on getting one once I move out and get the money.
Password:Sliver

Art/Character © Me
I couldn’t count on anyone to stand there behind me
And keep the dogs from dragging me off with them
While I slept you crept in and pulled the rug right out from under me
Then the rain stole away and took the parts that kept me functioning

My heart will be blacker than your eyes when I’m through with you
~Radical Face

I do art commissions/trades. PM me if you're interested.
Deviantart

ImageImageImage
varoujan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Placebo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Odhran the Veridion wrote:Yea, Gucci's being picky about her food. T_T But since she's got sores, her vet's having me tube-feed her so that she can keep her weight and health up while getting better.

Sores? What happened?

I welcome all trades.

I am an avid gift bomber!
People gifted: 457
The Placebo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hellagia » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:09 am

Blister disease (what Dr Hulls called it), apparently I splashed some water when filling her dish one time and her belly got blistered from it. But the appointment went well, she's doing okay, just gotta increase her feeding so she'll get more weight back.
Last edited by Hellagia on Mon November 9, 66174026 BCE 12:01 AM, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Look, a shooting star! Make a wish. Wait, why is it getting bigger.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hellagia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me