LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby Daisywolf14 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:55 am

4dogowner wrote:Hey guys, are domestic rabbits able to eat raw corn or sunflower seeds? My father, bless his heart, wanted to buy Max and Lucy some treats and got a bag of wild rabbit/squirrel food, which basically consists of corn and black sunflower seeds. I looked online and what I found was all a bit conflicting, so I'd appreciate some help. C:
Is it safe to give them some sunflower seeds and/or corn as treats every now and then, or are those not good for domesticated rabbits? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure they are not. Try some oats as treats :) my buns love those
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:42 am

Daisywolf14 wrote:
4dogowner wrote:Hey guys, are domestic rabbits able to eat raw corn or sunflower seeds? My father, bless his heart, wanted to buy Max and Lucy some treats and got a bag of wild rabbit/squirrel food, which basically consists of corn and black sunflower seeds. I looked online and what I found was all a bit conflicting, so I'd appreciate some help. C:
Is it safe to give them some sunflower seeds and/or corn as treats every now and then, or are those not good for domesticated rabbits? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure they are not. Try some oats as treats :) my buns love those

Corn is very high in starch and therefor is not good for rabbits. (There is often and itsy bit in rabbit pellet feed and that is the most that they should ever have.) It is also GMO and that can sometimes cause issues. As for sunflower seeds, rabbit can only have Black Oil Sunflower seeds.

Healthy treats for buns include oats, rolled oats, flax seeds, all natural no additives whole grain shredded wheats. Other more healthy options are dandelion leaves, plantain, blackberry leaves, and things like that.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:37 pm

Blackberry and dandelion leaves are awesome treats for buns! Our bunnies absolutely love them.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gà. » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:50 pm

I'll share some bun pics.. I have 3 does, 2 bucks

Frank my silver fox buck. Trying to find a good doe for him but ehh. Finally got some cages, hopefully at the fair I'll find a doe
Dolly, holland lop. She's had 2 litters so far and 1 kit lived so.. I'm getting annoyed.. She's pregnant now (due in a few weeks) and well see how this goes. She just uncovers them and they die /:
The one kit we got out of her, Amber
Don't have him anymore, but this is our mini lop rescue. He's now gonna be a daddy and bred to another lop girl.
We also don't have her anymore, but this was Rosa, our Rex girl.
Molly, Dolly and Benedict (back)
Molly and Amber
Gà.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thunderofthedrum » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:04 pm

PeachFuzz wrote:Blackberry and dandelion leaves are awesome treats for buns! Our bunnies absolutely love them.

Where do you people find such things? I've never grown fruit and leaves aren't typically included when you buy them from the store.

Just like I always hear that apple wood is great but I don't even know what an apple tree looks like. I can find you some cactus or oak, but ask for an apple tree and I'm going to just stare at you. xD

Herbs are not my bunny's favorite, though she will nibble some. I think they're just too pungent for her. She does like roses that I occasionally clip from my mother's rose bush and of course things that I purchase, such as various lettuces, greens, spinach, kale, and she enjoys parsley, cilantro, and she absolutely loves fruit (and cereal, chips, cookies, candy, etc). She is ridiculously determined when she hears a package open or smells something sweet.
O____o'
She'll try to steal things she's never seen or tasted before with a dedication that's quite admirable.
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gà. » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:46 pm

thunderofthedrum wrote:
PeachFuzz wrote:Blackberry and dandelion leaves are awesome treats for buns! Our bunnies absolutely love them.

Where do you people find such things? I've never grown fruit and leaves aren't typically included when you buy them from the store.

Just like I always hear that apple wood is great but I don't even know what an apple tree looks like. I can find you some cactus or oak, but ask for an apple tree and I'm going to just stare at you. xD

Herbs are not my bunny's favorite, though she will nibble some. I think they're just too pungent for her. She does like roses that I occasionally clip from my mother's rose bush and of course things that I purchase, such as various lettuces, greens, spinach, kale, and she enjoys parsley, cilantro, and she absolutely loves fruit (and cereal, chips, cookies, candy, etc). She is ridiculously determined when she hears a package open or smells something sweet.
O____o'
She'll try to steal things she's never seen or tasted before with a dedication that's quite admirable.

Apple wood is very easy to find at stores. Dandelions often are found growing in your yard.
Gà.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:16 pm

thunderofthedrum wrote:

O____o'

I actually got dandelion leaves at a stater brothers once (if that's not in your state it's a grocery store chain) or was it albertsons? Can't remember all I know is it was a grocery chain.
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby debris » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:42 am

Hi peoples! c:
My buck has been acting strange in the past few days. On Friday, he growled at a friend and tried to bite her while clawing her shirt. Today, he charged at me and another friend, growling. Does anyone know why he's acting like this??
i'm inactive on here. msg me on lioden if u really need 2 talk or whatever
my lioden acct
debris

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:21 am

How old is your buck? That is typically doe behavior, though bucks can do that as well. He may be hormonal or he feels threatened.
My buck went through a few attitude changes in his life. He was very mellow and sweet but then at 2years old he started to be a bit aggressive and wanted to breed things. After a year of that, he started to go back to his old self. Now he is that sweet old buck that is hard not to love. (He is 5 years old now.)
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me