LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby thunderofthedrum » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Not at this time, thanks! I'm not into breeding and picked out my bunny based on the single test of being held. Mine's about 5-6 pounds, Mini Rex (or close enough). I don't know where she'd be on the scale for temperament; she doesn't bite though she does charge for her food with her mouth open which can potentially result in an accidental nip or teeth-graze just out of her ridiculous enthusiasm. She's decently adaptable; I've moved with her a good dozen times, lived in a good 6 or so different places, she's not bothered by cats or very small dogs, and she has learned to tolerate my little nephews very nicely (especially as their visits are usually accompanied by treats). If she doesn't like something she prefers to just run off. She can be devious and playful but loves her affection and snuggle time.

It would likely take someone with other rabbit experience to figure out how she compares. xD

My boyfriend wants to get a dog at some point and we both prefer medium to large dogs (which she hasn't hardly been around and the few experiences were not good ones) so it'd be after she dies (she's going on 7). We're both fine with waiting on the dog but if we got a rabbit later on it'd be mine (he likes to complain about the bunny but just to be a turd) and of course we'd have to work on the animal introductions.
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:55 pm

thunderofthedrum wrote:Not at this time, thanks! I'm not into breeding and picked out my bunny based on the single test of being held. Mine's about 5-6 pounds, Mini Rex (or close enough). I don't know where she'd be on the scale for temperament; she doesn't bite though she does charge for her food with her mouth open which can potentially result in an accidental nip or teeth-graze just out of her ridiculous enthusiasm. She's decently adaptable; I've moved with her a good dozen times, lived in a good 6 or so different places, she's not bothered by cats or very small dogs, and she has learned to tolerate my little nephews very nicely (especially as their visits are usually accompanied by treats). If she doesn't like something she prefers to just run off. She can be devious and playful but loves her affection and snuggle time.

It would likely take someone with other rabbit experience to figure out how she compares. xD

My boyfriend wants to get a dog at some point and we both prefer medium to large dogs (which she hasn't hardly been around and the few experiences were not good ones) so it'd be after she dies (she's going on 7). We're both fine with waiting on the dog but if we got a rabbit later on it'd be mine (he likes to complain about the bunny but just to be a turd) and of course we'd have to work on the animal introductions.

Your bunny sounds wonderful! That's the temperament you want. I mean I love a lazy butt rabbit and all but they get boring sometimes lol. That sounds like a great plan it's always good to do introductions at young ages, holland lops are pretty hardy and curious and should do fine with a bigger dog.
If that is what you end up getting :)
Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the breed.
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thunderofthedrum » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:41 pm

Glad to hear it! She can be quite naughty and annoying occasionally but she's actually pretty good for the most part. Very communicative when she's bored and wants to come out, does sometimes chew on my dresser legs or baseboards if cooped up in a single room without interaction or supervision, but she's good. She loves to lay around but she's also active; she can sit with me a good hour if I have a hand on her (or elbow, or knee, ankle, phone, etc) before she gets restless and wants to run off her energy. Nicely energetic and interactive but loves her attention time since she's the only pet I have.

Yep, we'd have to see how we feel about another bunny and which would come first, the bunny or the dog. We might even get a cat at some point, who knows. Kenna is great with cats - she just minds her own business really. She'll go near them but not right into their personal space; it's more they who get into her personal space to sniff and say hello. If she feels a little invaded she just hops away. She's met like 6 different cats over the years and my friend's kittens (10-11 months old now) find her FASCINATING but they get in her space too much and she ends up hiding under the couch for some breathing room and privacy where they can't constantly sniff and investigate her.

Sorry; rambling. I'm overly stuffed on good Easter food.

But yes, she's good. I got her during my second year of college at just 8-10 weeks old and she's turning 7 this summer so she was exposed to lots of changes, new residences, cats, and watched my nephews grow and learn not to poke her eyeballs.. It's made her nicely adjusted in my opinion but future bunnies wouldn't have to go through that much.
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:07 am

Daisy your Hollands are so cute. <3

Sooo went to a couple shows the last 2 weekends. First show, bought 2 more bunnies... a Blue Broken Polish Doe and a Solid Chocolate doe. Really loving the broken blue, she's been named Lia. Choco doe still doesn't have a name.

And at the 2nd show... I bought FOUR more rabbits... because I *totally* don't have enough rabbits already... heheh. xD Got 3 Magpie Harlequin does, Lady Bug (A chocolate), Razul (A black) and a Blue doe that needs a name. As well as a Solid Blue Polish buck. No more rabbits now after this. xDD Unless I keep a couple babies from some of my rabbits, but no buying any more, 'least not for awhile! Lol!

Kyla (Polish) also had 2 babies during this time, a Solid Black and a Solid blue. Can't wait until they've opened their eyes and start hopping around. <3

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mods: My nieces are Kaylee197 and Rosie197. We sometimes share an IP.
The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:29 am

The Mean Kitty wrote:Daisy your Hollands are so cute. <3

Sooo went to a couple shows the last 2 weekends. First show, bought 2 more bunnies... a Blue Broken Polish Doe and a Solid Chocolate doe. Really loving the broken blue, she's been named Lia. Choco doe still doesn't have a name.

And at the 2nd show... I bought FOUR more rabbits... because I *totally* don't have enough rabbits already... heheh. xD Got 3 Magpie Harlequin does, Lady Bug (A chocolate), Razul (A black) and a Blue doe that needs a name. As well as a Solid Blue Polish buck. No more rabbits now after this. xDD Unless I keep a couple babies from some of my rabbits, but no buying any more, 'least not for awhile! Lol!

Kyla (Polish) also had 2 babies during this time, a Solid Black and a Solid blue. Can't wait until they've opened their eyes and start hopping around. <3

Thanks!! Hahaha that's awesome! We all need more buns!

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm in a bit of a shock..... just had a jersey wooly doe birth TEN babies. hahaha xD
I can't believe it.

Have a few more does due soon too. I hope they do well. First time moms. <3

I am for sure heading to Ohio early May to go to the Ohio Mini Convention and Jersey Wooly Nationals. Buying 2 new does too. Yaaaaay. lol I added up my expenses for the weekend and it's already at like $350. :shock:

The Mean Kitty wrote:Daisy your Hollands are so cute. <3

Congrats on new bunnies and babies! It's always fun to bring in something new. lol :D

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:16 am

_breezy_star_ wrote:I'm in a bit of a shock..... just had a jersey wooly doe birth TEN babies. hahaha xD
I can't believe it.

Oh my gosh, that is almost unheard of! I have been having the opposite problem. (Same with others around this state and the next.) We have large breeds that are accepting the buck multiple times on sunny days. It should produce 6 babies or more, but instead they have one maybe two kits or the don't take at all. This happened to a lot of does bred in March, non of us know why.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:42 am

Baby bunnies! wrote:
_breezy_star_ wrote:I'm in a bit of a shock..... just had a jersey wooly doe birth TEN babies. hahaha xD
I can't believe it.

Oh my gosh, that is almost unheard of! I have been having the opposite problem. (Same with others around this state and the next.) We have large breeds that are accepting the buck multiple times on sunny days. It should produce 6 babies or more, but instead they have one maybe two kits or the don't take at all. This happened to a lot of does bred in March, non of us know why.

Woah! That's a lot of fluff XD but really that's a huge litter! Congrats!

@BB
That stinks! And really weird! A girl in my group bred her flem in December and the buck got her once (I was there) a month later she had 9 flems O-O Suprisely she found homes for all of them.

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Yaaaay! More babies. <3 Still waiting on one more doe for this week. :D

DY's babies: 10 jersey woolies

Zinc's babies: 6 mini lops

Gyda's babies: 7 nz/harlequin mix

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Haagen-Daagen » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:42 am

Hey guys, are domestic rabbits able to eat raw corn or sunflower seeds? My father, bless his heart, wanted to buy Max and Lucy some treats and got a bag of wild rabbit/squirrel food, which basically consists of corn and black sunflower seeds. I looked online and what I found was all a bit conflicting, so I'd appreciate some help. C:
Is it safe to give them some sunflower seeds and/or corn as treats every now and then, or are those not good for domesticated rabbits? Thanks!

Do you own characters designed by me? (old username is 4dogowner) PM me! I'd love to draw art of some of my older designs, free of charge. <3
Toyhou.se
"Being courageous isn't the same as being fearless; it is doing what's right even when you're scared to death."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds."
"You are never a failure until you begin blaming your mistakes on someone else."
"Joy is a fully loaded magazine and a puppy."
Haagen-Daagen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me