LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby E.urka » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:52 am

I adopted another bunny today! He(or she) it is currently not known is a 5 month old black mini rex. The owners bought him from a petstore when they went on sale and then realized they couldent handle it. They advertised him "just want gone" "great for Easter" and then they gave him to our local SPCA. I went there this morning and filled out all the papers for him and will be taking him/her home tomorrow.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

} } } ACCEPTING TRADE OFFERS! { { {

Owner of the CS Atheist Club(18+): viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1139238
E.urka

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Safire•83• » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:09 pm

YAY congrats :)
Safire•83•

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Annebird » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:05 pm

I was helping clean the cages out t/ at the shelter, and I came across this little plump guy <3 I saw my chances, and now he's mine! We combined two ex large cages together to form a perfect home for him <3 It also leads to this little outside fenced in area!! (Hawks and other predators can not get in, the roof is sealed)
Huhue, I had the idea to combine all 3 rabbit cages for my babies in the past instead of having them rot there X'DD

Still yet to name the bugger c:
Hiss
Annebird

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlynnEugene » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Important question!!!!!!
Simba (male) and Waffles(female) are a bonded pair. Both of them are fixed and they have always gotten along perfectly fine. Although recently they have been fighting. We have no idea what triggers it, and it is random. A week ago I went and saw a whole chunk ripped out of Simba's back. I took him to the HRS here to get a check up and they said it was just a flesh wound and it wasn't deep but just sure it wasn't infected. Then a couple days ago we found Simba's fur everywhere. So we know Waffles is the one who is "beating" him up. Although today when I walked outside they both had tuffs of fur taken out. So I don't know what I should do. They have been a bonded pair for almost 3 years now with now problems until recently..... Any tips?

ℂ𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘

𝔸𝕞𝕓𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤

ℝ𝕖𝕤𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤

𝕊𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕕

𝔻𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕕

"𝒲𝑒 𝒮𝓁𝓎𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝓈 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒷𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒, 𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓈𝓉𝓊𝓅𝒾𝒹. 𝐹𝑜𝓇 𝒾𝓃𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒, 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝒾𝒸𝑒, 𝓌𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝑜𝓈𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓃𝑒𝒸𝓀𝓈."
FlynnEugene

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Hmm that is weird. Some times the hormones just kick in or have you seperated them for a very long amount of time? Sometimes that can trigger fights if they have been seperated for a while.
Other than that I really don't know.. Mabye someone elese does.

My new Dutch buck! This guy has a perfect saddle great head and great overall type!
He is going to be great in my Dutch program.
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby toy20243 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:48 pm

HI! i really need some help! just a few weeks ago my female New Zealand (pure black) had a good litter of 7 babys! but i was at school when she had them and they froze! She is was a first mother and her nest was nice and set up when i left but it was thrown everywhere when i came home ;( I want to be able to prevent this from happning next time, is their any way i can do this? she did have a nest box and it fit her perfectly but she was able to some how kick everything out of the box and not use it. I dont know what she did but not a single one lived! Also i just joined 4H this year and we dont have our books yet so thats why im asking here. Thank you!

𝒮𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉 𝒟𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓂𝓈
⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆
toy20243

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:23 pm

toy20243 wrote:HI! i really need some help! just a few weeks ago my female New Zealand (pure black) had a good litter of 7 babys! but i was at school when she had them and they froze! She is was a first mother and her nest was nice and set up when i left but it was thrown everywhere when i came home ;( I want to be able to prevent this from happning next time, is their any way i can do this? she did have a nest box and it fit her perfectly but she was able to some how kick everything out of the box and not use it. I dont know what she did but not a single one lived! Also i just joined 4H this year and we dont have our books yet so thats why im asking here. Thank you!

By your descriptions it sounds like she destroyed her nest. There could be several reasons, one of the most common is the fact that she is a first time mother. First time does are notorious for mishaps causing most or all of the litter to not make it. (They may be clumsy and smash the kits, not feed them, deliver out of the nest, destroy their nest, etc...) There are rabbit lines that have good maternal instincts, and if you purchase more does in the future, as about their breeding history and the other does' in their lines breeding history.
Now another cause for a destroyed nest is that the doe felt threatened by something, whether it was another rabbit, a human, a predator, or even a loud noise. She would destroy the litter response to those things because in her mind she is protecting them from something that would cause even more harm to them than herself.(It is warped, but it happens).
Yet another reason is, if the does feels that the litter won't make it, or if they are all still born, then she will destroy the nest.
Or if the doe is sick she might do this, however this is far less likely.
Another reason is if the doe is pregnant with another liter (they have two uterine horns). This would be possible if someone tried the breed back method. This is where you take the doe to the buck on the second week of pregnancy, the plan is that she will refuse the buck if she is pregnant and will accept him if she is not, but some does won't refuse. Therefore she would become pregnant with two litters.

There is no true way to prevent this from happening. You could fill the cage with hay so that any kits that get out of the nest can stay warm.
The best thing to do is to keep the surrounding environment calm and peaceful and eliminate stress. Breed her right away if she is in good condition. Hope that the second time is the charm. If a doe repeats this behavior three times, then she will likely never care for a litter.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:43 pm

Hey guys! It's been awhile... things have been hard for me and as such I've not been around much lately, but I thought I'd pop in and give a little update. <3 And also to say I like your new Dutch buck, Daisy, haha!

My dwarf hotot had another litter of 3 a little over a week ago, 1 has their eyes open, that same one has much thicker eyebands then the other 2, as well as a black spot on it's right ear though, but the other 2 are all white aside from there eyebands, hoping for a doe and buck so I can show both at fair this year!

Also an update on one big reason I've been away from the thread for a couple weeks... the harlequin litter. 5 of he 7 did not make it, I'm still not sure what was wrong with any of them, if they were all just stillborn (aside from the 1 which lived a few days) or what, but yeah... and the only 2 surviving one were also the only 2 not showable, he 5 that didn't make it all had nice markings, and marking on harlequins are so hard to get decent too, go figure... =/ Looks like I'll be having to just find them pet homes once they're weaned. Still pretty down about all that happened with this litter, I just hope my next harlequin litter will be better.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mods: My nieces are Kaylee197 and Rosie197. We sometimes share an IP.
The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:53 pm

The Mean Kitty wrote:Hey guys! It's been awhile... things have been hard for me and as such I've not been around much lately, but I thought I'd pop in and give a little update. <3 And also to say I like your new Dutch buck, Daisy, haha!

My dwarf hotot had another litter of 3 a little over a week ago, 1 has their eyes open, that same one has much thicker eyebands then the other 2, as well as a black spot on it's right ear though, but the other 2 are all white aside from there eyebands, hoping for a doe and buck so I can show both at fair this year!

Also an update on one big reason I've been away from the thread for a couple weeks... the harlequin litter. 5 of he 7 did not make it, I'm still not sure what was wrong with any of them, if they were all just stillborn (aside from the 1 which lived a few days) or what, but yeah... and the only 2 surviving one were also the only 2 not showable, he 5 that didn't make it all had nice markings, and marking on harlequins are so hard to get decent too, go figure... =/ Looks like I'll be having to just find them pet homes once they're weaned. Still pretty down about all that happened with this litter, I just hope my next harlequin litter will be better.

Insnt he so cute X3 his name is hush hush it's private lol because my black Dutch does name is secret.

Anyway! Well that's good to hear you had a healthy hotot litter!
Those hotots are so cute! Everyone in my group says they are mean
But I don't believe that.

Man I'm so sorry that's a huge bummer and just sucks! Let us know
How the next Harlie litter goes hopefully well. Loseing kits is never
Fun :(
It's so easy to be discouraged when breeding.
I would take one of those harlies of your hands if I could ;D
I love that breed so much and poor summers gunna have to go soon.
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlynnEugene » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:14 am

Daisywolf14 wrote:Hmm that is weird. Some times the hormones just kick in or have you seperated them for a very long amount of time? Sometimes that can trigger fights if they have been seperated for a while.
Other than that I really don't know.. Mabye someone elese does.

No they have not been separated at all. Because they have been fighting I put a barrier in their cage so that they are still with each other but they can't get to each other, but I just did that yesterday.

ℂ𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘

𝔸𝕞𝕓𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤

ℝ𝕖𝕤𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤

𝕊𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕕

𝔻𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕕

"𝒲𝑒 𝒮𝓁𝓎𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝓈 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒷𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒, 𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓈𝓉𝓊𝓅𝒾𝒹. 𝐹𝑜𝓇 𝒾𝓃𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒, 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝒾𝒸𝑒, 𝓌𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝑜𝓈𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓃𝑒𝒸𝓀𝓈."
FlynnEugene

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me