LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby Daisywolf14 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:03 am

Safire•83• wrote:Hi guys. It's safire83 with night and serenity. Well just serenity. Night passed away a couple days ago. :'( . I am really debating getting another rabbit (male) because I was gonna try breeding again but I don't know if I am emotionally ready for another one. I am giving serenity extra love. Also congrats on any babies being born soon

First off I am soo sorry for your loss it's not easy at all when a pet passes away.
Maybe wait and buy a buck and doe or a trio (a buck and two does) of the same breed.
And start a rabbit raise hobby ^.^ that's all up to you.
Serenity probably is loveing all the extra love
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Safire•83• » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:12 am

Daisywolf14 wrote:
Safire•83• wrote:Hi guys. It's safire83 with night and serenity. Well just serenity. Night passed away a couple days ago. :'( . I am really debating getting another rabbit (male) because I was gonna try breeding again but I don't know if I am emotionally ready for another one. I am giving serenity extra love. Also congrats on any babies being born soon

First off I am soo sorry for your loss it's not easy at all when a pet passes away.
Maybe wait and buy a buck and doe or a trio (a buck and two does) of the same breed.

Thank you :) that is a good Idea. Maybe I will wait until (ugh I feel bad for saying this) serenity passes cuz I'm not sure how old she is (like I stated multiple other times) and I am not sure if it is safe to breed her. Do u have any suggestions/ good rabbitrys around Saskatoon?
Safire•83•

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:54 am

Safire•83• wrote:
Daisywolf14 wrote:

Thank you :) that is a good Idea. Maybe I will wait until (ugh I feel bad for saying this) serenity passes cuz I'm not sure how old she is (like I stated multiple other times) and I am not sure if it is safe to breed her. Do u have any suggestions/ good rabbitrys around Saskatoon?

I would keep her as a forever bunny (Basiclly a rabbit that is a pet in the rabbitry) I have one ^.^
Retire her from breeding if you want to it's most likely best.
What breed are you interested in? Go to here if you are in the US or canadaand find a show close to you and talk with breeders there.

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby debris » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:08 am

My bunny snagged his claw on the carpet and ripped it out, what do I do? I'm really really worried about him.
i'm inactive on here. msg me on lioden if u really need 2 talk or whatever
my lioden acct
debris

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:27 am

~*Pinkie Pie*~ wrote:My bunny snagged his claw on the carpet and ripped it out, what do I do? I'm really really worried about him.

I've had this happen a few times. It will just grow back in time.
Any other advice? I never really did anything..

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:38 am

Daisywolf14 wrote:
~*Pinkie Pie*~ wrote:My bunny snagged his claw on the carpet and ripped it out, what do I do? I'm really really worried about him.

I've had this happen a few times. It will just grow back in time.
Any other advice? I never really did anything..

Don't worry! It happens! If you are really worried, then you can take some saline and rinse the wound and then see it with either bag balm or A&D ointment (without zinc).
If you bun ripped it's actual toe (not just the nail) than do exactly what I stated above but also get some ace bandaging around it (wrap some hay into the bandage for the rabbit to chew instead of the bandage. Clean and dress the wound daily until it seals.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:15 pm

Hi! I don't currently own any rabbits, but I plan on getting some in the next couple months! Looking at either Californians or New Zealand Whites. I plan on raising them in a colony setting. Not sure yet on how many does I will be getting, so not 100% sure on how big I will need to make my pen lol

I also plan on having a couple Rex does tossed in because I like the colors they come in lol

Anyone have any suggestions on NZWs vs Californians in temperament? I want them to be calm and not afraid of me. (I know some has to do with how much I handle them, but I don't want a wild breed ya know?)
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:32 pm

.Middy. wrote:Hi! I don't currently own any rabbits, but I plan on getting some in the next couple months! Looking at either Californians or New Zealand Whites. I plan on raising them in a colony setting. Not sure yet on how many does I will be getting, so not 100% sure on how big I will need to make my pen lol

I also plan on having a couple Rex does tossed in because I like the colors they come in lol

Anyone have any suggestions on NZWs vs Californians in temperament? I want them to be calm and not afraid of me. (I know some has to do with how much I handle them, but I don't want a wild breed ya know?)

Hi there!

Both NZW and Cals are fairly mellow. There is always the occasional feisty one, but that is typically due to the lack of handling or any trauma caused in it's past. In terms of size, you will want to go for the NZWs they are around 12 lbs. Cals get up to around 10lbs. Most people think that the bigger the rabbit is, the calmer they will be. That seems to be correct a lot of the time. So either way you should be fine. However I think since you are planning on colony raising, that you should get the NZWs. They seem to handle a lot of things very well. They are typically the breed that people mix into their commercial or semi arch breeds to get better immune systems and a good frame. They seem to be able to truck through any situation.
Now Rex rabbits, they can be very spicy at times.

And a small note for colony raising. I suggest that the does have a pen and the does have a pen. That way you could keep track of breedings and not have any inbreeding issues. (Inbreeding can be serious if it continues for generations.) It also will allow for far less number of lost kits. Bucks with destroy nests to breed with a doe again, or the doe will destroy her nest if she feels threatened.

Lots of things to consider. :) I wish you luck on your new hobby.
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Oh yes! My buck will be kept in his own separate pen lol. I don't want babies all the time lol.

I do think the NZW might be the breed for me, that's what my rabbit group suggests mostly. The Rex will mainly just be pets because I like the colors they come in lol. I don't really need the Rex, I just like them lol

Luckily I've got a good number of rabbit groups on FB that I know will help out if I need it lol, and I've got plenty of time to research before I get them!
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:02 pm

Oh good. :)

Yes, NZWs are quite popular. Rex do come in all sorts of stunning colors. I, myself, am a huge fan of Satins. Most people dislike them because they are often very persnickety. But I love them and that is all that counts.

If you ever need help or advice, let me know! I love to help out. (Also if you want website and book suggestions, I have a huge list of great ones that pertain to raising and breeding rabbits and disease prevention, etc...)

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me