LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby dogbrain » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Then I must keep my room's floor clean from wires'n such.
My, my. Seems they can get a little mischeviois, heh. That'll be grand!
I really do hope I can get a bunny, it's been one of my dreams to own one. Ever since I was little{back in me youngin days I wanted everything cute'n fluffy. xD}
Wolfie ♡ | she/they | infp+t
dogbrain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby King of Crows » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:16 am

Hey guys, I'm hoping for some advice on brushing!

My girlie, Charlie, has a ton of fur. It's thick, and she's constantly shedding. Right now she's going through her normal spring-time shedding episode, and it's chaos! Flurries of fur all over the place. I have 5 different types of brushes and I have tried all 5, I have tried using a wet cloth, wetting my hand, but the large portion of her fur that is loose and ready to come out just won't get caught up in the brush. I've had rabbits with awful wool block issues, so right now I'm just trying to avoid that with Charlie.

So for especially shedding rabbits, what do you all recommend for getting rid of that fur? I can pull huge chunks of loose fur out with my hands, but it takes ages and she is not a patient rabbit XD
Reality is subjective.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MacGyver » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:27 am

Have you tried a kong zoom groom?
Image Image
████████████████████████ ███ ███ █████
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰

█████ ███ ███ ████████████████████████
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪
Image Image Image Image Image
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
DIXIE INSTA ART

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀᴅ ᴋᴇᴇᴘᴇʀ
HaruMakoNagisa
ReiRinMomo
SousukeNitori

CSCC Iwatobi Dog Chat

WIP
MacGyver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby King of Crows » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:17 am

マクガイバー wrote:Have you tried a kong zoom groom?

I haven't tried that brand specifically, but have tried another tool with the same basic design, to no avail.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thunderofthedrum » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:25 am

Nok McCunning wrote:

My girlie, Charlie, has a ton of fur. It's thick, and she's constantly shedding. Right now she's going through her normal spring-time shedding episode, and it's chaos! Flurries of fur all over the place. I have 5 different types of brushes and I have tried all 5, I have tried using a wet cloth, wetting my hand, but the large portion of her fur that is loose and ready to come out just won't get caught up in the brush. I've had rabbits with awful wool block issues, so right now I'm just trying to avoid that with Charlie.

So for especially shedding rabbits, what do you all recommend for getting rid of that fur? I can pull huge chunks of loose fur out with my hands, but it takes ages and she is not a patient rabbit XD

Likely not helpful at all, but I have a Mini Rex and honestly I just pull it out myself. When she's shedding, I try to take her outside every couple days and just sit with her in my lap while I work on gently pulling out her fur that's ready. It doesn't get all of it but it does help a lot with speeding up the shedding process so there are less fur flurries indoors, plus she enjoys the attention (though sometimes not so much the pulling on her back and sides). xD She's pretty good though; we just do it for like a half hour at a time in the nice sunshine (I live in the south though; nice weather may not be so possible for you).

I have only bought 2 brushes for her - a dumb rabbit one that did NOTHING and a sort of cat brush that kind of helped but not significantly enough (and she didn't really stay still). Granted, she mainly just sheds like 2 times a year so it's not bad.
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:26 am

Nok McCunning wrote:

I use slicker brushes and they work wonders for me.

Something that may work for you is a little different, a rubber curry brush. A friend of mine uses the ones with the cone like 'teeth' on the bottom.

And have you tried a shedding blade? They work great.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby King of Crows » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:35 am

thunderofthedrum wrote:Likely not helpful at all, but I have a Mini Rex and honestly I just pull it out myself. When she's shedding, I try to take her outside every couple days and just sit with her in my lap while I work on gently pulling out her fur that's ready. It doesn't get all of it but it does help a lot with speeding up the shedding process so there are less fur flurries indoors, plus she enjoys the attention (though sometimes not so much the pulling on her back and sides). xD She's pretty good though; we just do it for like a half hour at a time in the nice sunshine (I live in the south though; nice weather may not be so possible for you).

I have only bought 2 brushes for her - a dumb rabbit one that did NOTHING and a sort of cat brush that kind of helped but not significantly enough (and she didn't really stay still). Granted, she mainly just sheds like 2 times a year so it's not bad.

Basically what I have been doing, haha. Except that I'm in the north, so it's too cold this time of year! Usually we do brushing outside, though. The most effective thing besides just pulling chunks out has been a fine-toothed comb, but even that barely makes a dent XD

Baby bunnies! wrote:I use slicker brushes and they work wonders for me.

Something that may work for you is a little different, a rubber curry brush. A friend of mine uses the ones with the cone like 'teeth' on the bottom.

The rubber teeth doesn't work much at all (must have something to do with fur texture). Didn't think to use a shedding blade! I'll have to go kidnap something from my mom's tack room! That might help, awesome idea :D I'll let you all know if that works XD
Reality is subjective.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:53 am

Nok McCunning wrote:
Baby bunnies! wrote:I use slicker brushes and they work wonders for me.

The rubber teeth doesn't work much at all (must have something to do with fur texture). Didn't think to use a shedding blade! I'll have to go kidnap something from my mom's tack room! That might help, awesome idea :D I'll let you all know if that works XD

:D I hope that the shedding blade will work for you!
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spiderfish » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:22 am

I have exactly the same fur problems with Fuge & E.J., never thought of a shedding blade!
Got to try that, I loved using the shedding blade on the horses XD
I hadn't thought of a rubber curry comb either. My equine grooming kit if going unused, I'll have to clean up my brushes & see what works.

Anyone gots tips to stop thick foot fur matting? Fudge has the thickest fur I've ever known on a bunnies feet, and it matts like crazy, Luckily, most of them can be cut off easily. But still, would like to prevent if possible.
-wip-
-wip-
-wip-
spiderfish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Safire•83• » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:21 am

Hi guys. It's safire83 with night and serenity. Well just serenity. Night passed away a couple days ago. :'( . I am really debating getting another rabbit (male) because I was gonna try breeding again but I don't know if I am emotionally ready for another one. I am giving serenity extra love. Also congrats on any babies being born soon
Safire•83•

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me