LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby Shady Lynx » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:53 am

Hi there, ^-^

I haven't posted on here in a long time so I will quickly introduce myself~ c:

I own two bunnies named Koopa and Sugar, I only got Koopa a couple of months ago and next Sunday he turns 4 months. At the moment he is not neutered but is a lovely buck and is quite gentle, he loves everyone that he meets and every animal that he meets. x3 He has never bitten anyone or been aggressive, once he started eating veggies I began bonding him with my spayed doe Sugar, and they are best buddies now and enjoy cuddling up together during the day. xP

So I haven't had any problems yet, but I was just wondering if I should get Koopa neutered when he is old enough? It wouldn't be a problem but if we don't have to it would be much better. :3 By the way;; they are outside rabbits, {please don't hurt me xD} they are healthy and their hutch and run is huge. They have their own winter and summer pens so they can stay cool during the summer heat and keep warm when it gets into the winter months. So my question is;;

Should I neuter my buck, Koopa? Thanks in advance! :3

Shady Lynx~
______
_____
Clickables wrote:Image

___Image Image

Shady Lynx wrote:

Hey there, feel free to PM if you
are having any trouble or want
to inquire about anything like
my Art Shop etc. I am always
up for just a chat too though.

Commissions » Open

Art Trades » PM Me

Also - if you are up for it - send
me trade, as I am always happy
to get an offer.

Shady Lynx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby perilous » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:12 am

Heya! I have a 2 year old bunny named Stanley, and he's a lion headed bunny I'm pretty sure. I would like to ask some questions- 1. does anyone have any advice for when your rabbit chews on wires while you let them out? I've been seeing this a lot with him lately, and wanted some advice. Well, that's all! I love bunnies and I'd also love to talk more about them! :P
Sydney - 17 - She/Her

perilous

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:25 pm

It's up to you :) if you want to neuter him or not.
Since your doe is already fixed it might not be nessacary to fix the buck.
If you do have issues later with him it might be a good thing to consider.

@meankitty
Oh my gosh that's terrible!! Hope those two make it.
Hope it gets better *hugs*
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lincoln » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:38 pm

Petlover552 wrote:
Daisywolf14 wrote:oooohhh your talking about a buck and doe pairing. I would for sure get the buck neutered.
actually i have tried to pair two does before.... once autumn grew they got along for maybe a month and then i lost all
the work and they started fighting.

Ooh that doesant sound good D:

I think I am settled on getting my buck neutered now... Unless something bad pops up :3

Don't worry about it. Getting bucks neutered is easy compared to does. My
netherland dwarf nearly died when we spayed her. D: Poor Pboo!
Lincoln

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Lady Echo wrote:
Petlover552 wrote:
Daisywolf14 wrote:oooohhh your talking about a buck and doe pairing. I would for sure get the buck neutered.
actually i have tried to pair two does before.... once autumn grew they got along for maybe a month and then i lost all
the work and they started fighting.

Ooh that doesant sound good D:

I think I am settled on getting my buck neutered now... Unless something bad pops up :3

Don't worry about it. Getting bucks neutered is easy compared to does. My
netherland dwarf nearly died when we spayed her. D: Poor Pboo!

There is still a risk to all forms of fixing. But yes, bucks are far easier than does. One of the most deadly things for rabbits during any form of surgical operation is the anesthetics.
I am glad that your Netherland doe didn't die. It is an very unfortunate and sad when rabbits die.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thunderofthedrum » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:04 am

FlamingSouls wrote:Heya! I have a 2 year old bunny named Stanley, and he's a lion headed bunny I'm pretty sure. I would like to ask some questions- 1. does anyone have any advice for when your rabbit chews on wires while you let them out? I've been seeing this a lot with him lately, and wanted some advice. Well, that's all! I love bunnies and I'd also love to talk more about them! :P

Since this seems to have gone unnoticed, I'll offer a couple ideas.

Sounds like the area needs to be bunny-proofed or that you should do some research on ways to discourage him from this. My rabbit is pretty good about leaving cords alone (usually) but I watch her like a hawk whenever she's around any, as it only takes a moment for their teeth to slice through like butter - bye bye phone cord. It can be dangerous for the bunny and certainly can get expensive to keep replacing!

So perhaps one thing you can do is to look at the area Stanley is typically allowed to run around. Is it the full house, a particular room, etc? Would it be possible to cover the cords someone or raise them out of reach? I keep any lamp cords behind furniture and any extra cord length coiled up with a twist tie. My computer cord is still out on the floor but it's right next to my desk and I watch my bunny closely when she's near it or I could work on getting it out of reach.

Another idea is to limit where he runs, such as blocking off part of the room or even just along the walls. I have those storage cubes that I use for bunny pens (simply use zip ties to connect them) and my bunny won't reach for anything outside of them - simply lining the wall with them was enough to deter her from chewing on baseboards (plus the storage cube panels typically are squares about 1"x1" so it'd be hard for her to chew stuff through them).

I know there are also products available to deter cats and dogs from chewing on things (such as sprays) and it's possible that there might be options for rabbits as well - perhaps even remedies you can make yourself to use. I don't know anything on that topic though. My friend's kittens have decided they like chewing on slim cords (ie phone cords) so with them, we have to make sure the cords are put away when not in use and that we don't leave them unattended. It can be a bit of a pain, but better than going through 3 phone cords within two weeks again.
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:16 am

I know there are also products available to deter cats and dogs from chewing on things (such as sprays) and it's possible that there might be options for rabbits as well - perhaps even remedies you can make yourself to use. I don't know anything on that topic though. My friend's kittens have decided they like chewing on slim cords (ie phone cords) so with them, we have to make sure the cords are put away when not in use and that we don't leave them unattended. It can be a bit of a pain, but better than going through 3 phone cords within two weeks again.

I think sour apple spray might work... I gave my rabbits Granny Smith apples as a treat and they got left untouched exept for one or two nibbles.

Does anyone else find it annoying when a adult enters their rabbits under their kids names in youth
When the kids don't do anything with the breeding and rabbits? I do -_-
Oh and also does anyone have any simple rabbit facts that someone that doesn't know anything
About rabbits could understand?
I have to make posters for youth fairs rabbit barn.

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:50 am

Daisywolf14 wrote:

I think sour apple spray might work... I gave my rabbits Granny Smith apples as a treat and they got left untouched exept for one or two nibbles.

Does anyone else find it annoying when a adult enters their rabbits under their kids names in youth
Oh and also does anyone have any simple rabbit facts that someone that doesn't know anything

That ALWAYS annoys me when an adult enters under their kid's names. It is unfair to the few youth that work hard to raise their own lines for shows. There is the times when kids enter their parents rabbits and the times when the parents enter their own rabbits under their kid's name for their own benefit. Now I know of one young girl that won BOB at nationals showing her mom's national winning lines. No one had a chance against her rabbits, she didn't know anything the rabbits but claimed they were hers. But when she won BOB, it was adorable how happy she was. It made her want to continue so she could win more. But it was still unfair and it added another leg to the bun for the girl's mom. Anyways, I don't think it is right.

What type of age range are you focusing the poster towards?
You could probably include these facts ...
~ A rabbit can be pregnant for 28-32 days
~ A rabbit uses it's ears to cool off
~ Rabbit eyes and ears are very sensitive (so gentle around them. :) )
~ Rabbit teeth grow constantly!
~ Rabbits are often mistaken as rodents. What is the difference? Rabbits have two small teeth called peg teeth, located behind the top front teeth.
~ There are hundreds of rabbit breeds world wide!
~ Rabbits make great pets, but they require dedicated owners.

How many facts do you need?
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:54 am

On Saturday my "rabbit crew" or "family" as one of the moms refers to our group as.
We were at a show and my new leader has her rabbit entered under her boys names and that's fine,
It's just each time the boys are not even near the tables or when then are they loudly point to their rabbit and shout it's name, I don't think she has even taught them why or how we breed and what we are breeding for.
They are young around 5-10ish I just wish she would control and teach them more because it's really annoying.
Other than that there is one girl were her and her mom work together. Her mom is a register and the whole rabbitry is her girls. It's only those two boys that get annoying everyone eles kids get it.

Those are great!!! Thanks so much!
It's just suppose to be facts for the public.
And posters in the barn.

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sleipnir » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:04 pm

Daisywolf14 wrote:

A.) I only show open because my stock started from some of the more well-known Rhinelander breeders, but that does bother me. It's rude and a cheap way to get a ribbon.

B.) TONS. shall I PM you a bunch of bunny facts?

Also, it seems time to breed. My does - some of the sweetest - have been snorting at me a bit recently and three have even gone so far as to box at me. Anyone else's does getting to be a bit rough with you? About ready for some babies over here.
Sleipnir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me