LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby PeachFuzz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:12 am

For bonding I recommend using food c: Whatever they like; lettuce, parsley, etc. (But not too much of course.) While they're together in the same room put the food in a pile in the center so they have to go near each other to get it.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SabertheWolf » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:15 am

Hey my mini lop rabbit Bon Bon has started losing fur on her neck, any ideas?
ImageImage
SabertheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:17 am

SabertheWolf wrote:Hey my mini lop rabbit Bon Bon has started losing fur on her neck, any ideas?

She is either molting or haveing a false pregnancy (if has not been around a buck) then she will build a nest and have no baby's.
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spiderfish » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:21 am

Daisywolf14 wrote: if she nips give her a flick on the forehead and DO NOT let her get away with biteing.

Why the hell would you flick it on the forehead?
You do know that rabbits can't possibly begin to comprehend why doing that? And even if they could, punishment like that isn't the way to go?
-wip-
-wip-
-wip-
spiderfish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SabertheWolf » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:23 am

Oh ok should I be worried?
ImageImage
SabertheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:35 am

spiderfish wrote:
Daisywolf14 wrote: if she nips give her a flick on the forehead and DO NOT let her get away with biteing.

You do know that rabbits can't possibly begin to comprehend why doing that? And even if they could, punishment like that isn't the way to go?

I have to agree with spiderfish here. You should never, ever use physical punishment on a rabbit.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sleipnir » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:49 am

Daisywolf14 wrote:As for makeing her friends with the older rabbit, put them in a room (bathroom is the best choice) and let them exploe and meet each other, nipping and chasing is completly normal so don't interfere.
It takes time with both these things but within a year everything should be dandy!

I can't possibly agree with this either, I'm afraid. Rabbits can be very territorial and just because it's a neutral zone, don't think they won't fight.
And just because they're bunnies, do not assume they might seriously hurt each other. I was at nationals and two bucks - never saw each other before - were on the show table - somewhere they've never been before. One reached over and bit the other's eye.

Yeah, that buck went back to Michigan with one eye still sealed shut.

And does can be worse than bucks. Never leave unfamiliar rabbits together where you can't get at them IMMEDIATELY, and the minute something seems off separate them. I don't know anything about binding rabbits, but I know about rabbits being in the same space. Sometimes it's okay. Sometimes they'll try to, like the buck, bite the back of the others neck and kill them.
Sleipnir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:51 am

Last edited by Daisywolf14 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:55 am

Sleipnir wrote:
Daisywolf14 wrote:As for makeing her friends with the older rabbit, put them in a room (bathroom is the best choice) and let them exploe and meet each other, nipping and chasing is completly normal so don't interfere.
It takes time with both these things but within a year everything should be dandy!

I can't possibly agree with this either, I'm afraid. Rabbits can be very territorial and just because it's a neutral zone, don't think they won't fight.
And just because they're bunnies, do not assume they might seriously hurt each other. I was at nationals and two bucks - never saw each other before - were on the show table - somewhere they've never been before. One reached over and bit the other's eye.

Yeah, that buck went back to Michigan with one eye still sealed shut.

And does can be worse than bucks. Never leave unfamiliar rabbits together where you can't get at them IMMEDIATELY, and the minute something seems off separate them. I don't know anything about binding rabbits, but I know about rabbits being in the same space. Sometimes it's okay. Sometimes they'll try to, like the buck, bite the back of the others neck and kill them.

yeah thats true, i agree but some pepole stop the animals before they have a chance to get through it (im referring to chasing)
and yes ive seen the same thing on the judgeing table without that outcome.b

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:02 am

spiderfish wrote:

they can't understand english either. So a simple no won't do it. They need to understand that biteing is a big no, you don't always need to flick on the forehead you can do it on there back or flip them over which with practice is quite easy. Unlike some people i don't take crap from animals, most pet rabbits are mean because the owners don't imprint the fact that biteing is BAD. in some case's
(if i have to remove something on them) when its pain and they are just trying to escape but what im doing is for there own good, i let them nip because removing a lets say a toenail is painful and thats understandable. But nipping out of the blue is unacceptable in my opion

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me