LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby Daisywolf14 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am

thunderofthedrum wrote:
Baby bunnies! wrote:
GreenWolf wrote:Dang five feet? That's almost as tall as me
Hmm, sense I don't really feel like attempting to get a bunny out from under my bed I'll look for a cage with a roof instead. (Accidental rhyming :p)

Edit~ I was thinking of getting a Rex or a Mini Rex. I hear they're friendly and incredibly soft and make good starter bunnies. So what size of a cage would you want for one?

Another edit~ Also, I see they have bunny walking harnesses and shtuff, but what I'm wondering is will a bunny be like a dog and be eager to walk, or stand there like a cat (Yeah, I've tried walking a cat, it stood there and did nothing)

Yep, it is tall.

These are the bare minimum required:
3-5 lbs / 360 sq. in (that is a 20″x18″cage)
6-8 lbs / 576 sq. in (that is a 24″x24″cage)
9-11 lbs / 720 sq. in (that is a 30″x24″cage)

I usually suggest the 'next size up' from what the rabbit actually is just for comfortable space.

Something you need to know about Rex rabbits is that they have very thin fur pads. So a solid floor or wire with EZ mats and or carpet squares filling the majority of the cage so that the rabbit won't develop sore hocks. (Sore hocks are when the feet pads' skin breaks and bleeds. Bare Hocks are just if the fur rubbed off and has left a bare spot, be careful that it don't turn into Sore hocks. Then there is Callused Hocks, where calluses form on the foot, this isn't bad, it is actually another form of protection for the bun.) Also just about anything can ruin their fur (if you wanted to show it, this mattered a lot, if not then it doesn't matter.)
They can be very sweet though.

Holy cow, I didn't realize cages so small would even be considered acceptable? My rabbit is about 6 pounds and I can't imagine her in even the 30x24 cage dimensions. That's barely enough space to make a single hop and no room at all if she were to be excited or if she accidentally made a mess.

And of course, no matter the cage size, it's important to let it out to run around every day for at least an hour, spend time with it, and spice things up now and then with new areas to explore or objects to investigate. Let it learn to take new things in stride to be a well-adjusted animal so it can better handle unexpected things in the future.

To the rabbit owners in here: What veggies do you typically give your rabbits? I love the rabbit.org list but some things on it I'm unfamiliar with or wouldn't know where to find. For example, beet greens, ecarole, chicory, raspberry leaves, borage leaves, etc. I've given her: parsley, spinach, mustard greens, carrot tops, kale, red and green lettuce, romaine lettuce, spring greens, mint, basil, cilantro, and bok choy from their list. She's also had carrots, broccoli, celery, and she's been offered but wasn't so sure about bell pepper, zucchini, and brussel sprouts. She also gets to eat a couple roses now and then off of my mother's rose bushes. As for fruit, she has had (and loves): apple, banana, pear, kiwi, papaya, mango, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. And dried fruit. And chips and cereal. She's a naughty bunny. xD

I've also read on several websites that apple wood is fine for bunnies to chew on but I haven't seen an apple tree in my life. Do you give your bunnies wood and, if so, what kinds?

Yeah when you got one rabbit an hour out is pretty doable but when you have a full rabbitry it would get diffacult to do that.... Veggies hmmmm.... Dandelion greens seem to apell to my buns.
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thunderofthedrum » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:28 am

Daisywolf14 wrote:Yeah when you got one rabbit an hour out is pretty doable but when you have a full rabbitry it would get diffacult to do that.... Veggies hmmmm.... Dandelion greens seem to apell to my buns.

Hm, well to be honest that does make me wonder - how are you able to make sure they are well adjusted and socialized, used to human interaction? Are they all handled daily? And I imagine I should have asked this first - do you breed for pets/showing or for meat? It's just that I equate being in a cage 24/7 as being unhealthy - doesn't promote good muscle tone or good temperament of getting to expend energy. Like keeping a dog in a crate all the time or a horse always in a stall, which would be frowned upon as it doesn't allow them human interaction, bonding, or exercise. Does that make sense? So I'm trying to better understand how you do things. I don't mean to sound judgey, but I come at it from a very different angle it sounds like, especially as I'm a wildlife biologist and tend to think of the needs of pets more in terms of their natural needs, instincts, etc.

Back to veggies, I'd love to get my bunny pellet-free but I'm living with my parents for a year or so and don't grocery shop very much with that living arrangement. Once I have an apartment again and not sharing the fridge with several adults I'll be better able to prepare awesome salads and such for bunnykins.
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:50 am

thunderofthedrum wrote:
Daisywolf14 wrote:Yeah when you got one rabbit an hour out is pretty doable but when you have a full rabbitry it would get diffacult to do that.... Veggies hmmmm.... Dandelion greens seem to apell to my buns.

Hm, well to be honest that does make me wonder - how are you able to make sure they are well adjusted and socialized, used to human interaction? Are they all handled daily? And I imagine I should have asked this first - do you breed for pets/showing or for meat? It's just that I equate being in a cage 24/7 as being unhealthy - doesn't promote good muscle tone or good temperament of getting to expend energy. Like keeping a dog in a crate all the time or a horse always in a stall, which would be frowned upon as it doesn't allow them human interaction, bonding, or exercise. Does that make sense? So I'm trying to better understand how you do things. I don't mean to sound judgey, but I come at it from a very different angle it sounds like, especially as I'm a wildlife biologist and tend to think of the needs of pets more in terms of their natural needs, instincts, etc.

Back to veggies, I'd love to get my bunny pellet-free but I'm living with my parents for a year or so and don't grocery shop very much with that living arrangement. Once I have an apartment again and not sharing the fridge with several adults I'll be better able to prepare awesome salads and such for bunnykins.

I completely see where you are comeing from! I breed for show and yes my rabbits are petted and handled all the time same goes for other breeders (not all are good there are bad ones) we have to constantly take out our animals and check there health, DQs and groom them, and I find breeders animals are a lot more nice than most pets... Now there are just some plain nasty animals out there that no matter what you do they will be mean. I love all my rabbits to bits XD but they are still just animals and I can't afford to give them a royal life in money and my perspective on animals. I do have a playpen and I let them run around every once in awhile and I've got a cat harness to walk them around sometimes. I believe in animal welfair not rights, but no I don't think your judgey at all you have every right to ask this stuff XD
I also forgot to mention that I take my rabbits out to pet at events and such for the public to pet and ask questions about rabbits, all my buns have plety of human interaction

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:27 am

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RyderRai » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi bunny lovers :D I figured id jump in on this thread because I have a severe bunny weakness. Right now I have 4 and a litter possibly on the way ( this one was accidental so we'll see). All my buns are mixed breed. They all have very unique personalities :)Pudgy and Boozer ar my four month old trouble makers. Mommas my grumpy old lady, and Mr. Bitsy is my cuddle bun
RyderRai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadowBoi » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi everyone! I am a first time rabbit owner. I have a male Havana rabbit. He has a favorite piece of cloth and he growls (didn't even know bunnies could do that till yesterday) the hops on it if I try to pick it up. His name is Bun-Bun.

╔════════════════════════════════════╗
he/they | adult

╚═════════════════════════════════════╝

ShadowBoi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby catcher. » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:28 pm

So after staying up late researching even thought I wont get a bun anytime soon, I think I have almost everything covered
Except food, which is kinda important so your bunny doesn't starve

I know they need a lot of hay and then they also need fresh greens and stuff
I've started researching what they eat but I was wondering if the following would be a good diet

Hay (Timothy or Alfafa? What would you recommend? Also how much do I give them?)

For leafy greens (I've heard 1 cup per 2 lbs)
Romaine lettuce
Red and/or green lettuce
Cucumber leaves
Carrot tops and actual carrots
Mint

For veggies (I've heard 1 tablespoon per 2lbs)
Carrots
Broccoli
Celery

Can they have actual cucumber? I've heard they can have the leaves but I do not know if they can have the cucumber part. If they can I'd like to add that to their veggies.

For treats
Apple
Banana

So is this a good healthy diet? Anything I should add or get rid of?
I was trying to add things I could probably grow (well, except for apples and bananas, I can't grow those) And stuff that I'd actually eat or use in case the rabbit decided 'Pft you want me to eat this? Too bad sucka I don't like romaine lettuce!'
Hey sorry I haven't been on. Busy lately, I don't use my computer much anymore anyways
catcher.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:31 am

GreenWolf wrote:So after staying up late researching even thought I wont get a bun anytime soon, I think I have almost everything covered

I've started researching what they eat but I was wondering if the following would be a good diet

Hay (Timothy or Alfafa? What would you recommend? Also how much do I give them?)

Romaine lettuce
Red and/or green lettuce
Cucumber leaves
Mint

Carrots
Broccoli
Celery

Can they have actual cucumber? I've heard they can have the leaves but I do not know if they can have the cucumber part. If they can I'd like to add that to their veggies.

For treats
Apple
Banana

I was trying to add things I could probably grow (well, except for apples and bananas, I can't grow those) And stuff that I'd actually eat or use in case the rabbit decided 'Pft you want me to eat this? Too bad sucka I don't like romaine lettuce!'

For hay give them a big handful of Timothy each day, if your allergic feed orchard.
They need Timothy pellets each day NO FOODS WITH COLORFUL STUFF just green pellets
I don't feed mine veggies everyday but you can!
They love dandelion greens, roman lettuce and spinach.
Bell peppers too!
Treats can be shredded wheat, whole wheat Cheerios, apples, bananas, carrots or melon.
No yogurt chips or anything like that!
That's it if you have anymore questions feel free to ask :D

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sleipnir » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:48 am

I'd label carrot root as a treat I think, because too much will give diarrhea and the root is so high in starches. A bit is okay, but it's moe of a treat. I'd also suggest Timothy hay - they love it and it's easier on them from what I've heard, though I might actually be thinking of what I heard about the effect on humans ._. I know mine ADORE oregano and basil, clover, mint, and other greens. Plantain is good if your bunny starts acting a bit "off."
Sleipnir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:26 am

GreenWolf wrote:So after staying up late researching even thought I wont get a bun anytime soon, I think I have almost everything covered

Romaine lettuce
Red and/or green lettuce
Cucumber leaves
Mint

Carrots
Broccoli
Celery

For treats
Apple
Banana

Orchards grass is the absolute best for a rabbit. It has better nutritional value than Timothy. Timothy hay is the second choice. Never feed Alfalfa to an adult rabbit because it can cause diarrhea, bladder slush, and more uncomfortable problems. It is too high in calcium and phosphorous to be safe for an adult.

The best thing for a rabbit is a good pellet base. A good pellet has everything that a rabbit needs nutritionally to be happy and healthy. A good commercial pellet (that does not have unhealthy dried unknown 'treats' and better price) will contain: protein, fiber (13-22+%), phosphorous, calcium, vitamins, fat, salt, minerals, etc. Once you find good feeds, then look at the pellets, don't go for brown pellets unless you have to, green pellets is always better for you bun.
You may add your own fruits and veggies. Though I suggest garden 'weeds' first. Rabbits love dandelion, plantain, blackberry leaves, apple branch twigs, blueberry twigs/branches, etc..

And WATER is the most important nutrient for a rabbit. If you feed too much water based fruits and veggies though, the rabbit will likely get diarrhea, too much sugar also causes diarrhea, and abrupt change in diet can as well (not always).

Here is a lot of good info on rabbit nutrition.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me