Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby hypersomn.ia » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 am

Aura. wrote:Got my son a fish today!

Name suggestions?
-snip-

first name that comes to mind is Bandit! Other names I can think of are Scarlet, Mary, or Eclipse.
hypersomn.ia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby swift; » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:26 pm

My son wanted him named Mario, only name he could actually say properly ๐Ÿ˜‚
your โ–บโ–บโ–บ
โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€.
Image Image

โ–‘ โ–‘โ–‘
โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€
sig credit
hi i'm swift; ! dog mom, cat mom,
stepmom of 2, mom of 3. โ”€โ”€โ”€ โค๏ธ
swift;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby medicalpaws » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:33 am

Aura. wrote:My son wanted him named Mario, only name he could actually say properly ๐Ÿ˜‚

How sweet! I hope he will live a happy life with your son
c4c โ™ก commissions โ™ก adopt shop โ™ก +21 โ™ก MST
* working on social anxiety
please be patient and kind โ™ก

Proud memeber since 2012
Send me a trade
Hmu in the comments
Gimme a phat like โ˜†

Have a good day โ™ก
medicalpaws

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby swift; » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 am

AngelBowties wrote:
Aura. wrote:My son wanted him named Mario, only name he could actually say properly ๐Ÿ˜‚

How sweet! I hope he will live a happy life with your son

If not Iโ€™ll just get him another lol

If my boyfriend doesnโ€™t let me we have a bearded dragon baby <3 plus dogs and cats so ๐Ÿ˜‚
your โ–บโ–บโ–บ
โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€.
Image Image

โ–‘ โ–‘โ–‘
โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€
sig credit
hi i'm swift; ! dog mom, cat mom,
stepmom of 2, mom of 3. โ”€โ”€โ”€ โค๏ธ
swift;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Chanceuxcat » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Username: Chanceuxcat
How many fish tanks do you have: One 4.5ish gallon tank
Types of fish that you have: 1 betta fish! Just brought him home three days ago <3
Your fishs' names: Still picking one out! Suggestions appreciated, I'll toss up a picture tomorrow!
How long have you had fish: For about 7 years I had a carnival-won goldfish but he was very low maintenance so I didn't do much more than the basics. I'm trying to make sure my betta has the best life possible and I consider myself a newbie with him, so tips appreciated!

Hi there! I'm super excited to have found this awesome thread. I just got my first betta and I'm really excited to have him. My betta boy's considered a "Bumblebee Betta" by Petco, but I'm pretty sure he's either a chocolate or mustard gas betta by official colors! His body is a brownish kind of color with plumy yellow fins tipped with black. I'm also looking to get him some silk plants (or possibly real plants??), so if anyone knows of a cheap pack of them feel free to let me know!
He was getting pushed around a lot by the filter so I'm leaving unplugged for a few days as I read that it can take a few days for bettas to build up their muscles after being in a tiny container for who knows how many months. If this is bad though please let me know!

And eventually, I'm looking to get him some shrimp tankmates! Or snails maybe? Something low maintenance and (hope this doesn't sound too bad lol) something that is cheap enough that it won't be a big deal if they die or get eaten during the first few weeks.

This is probably a lot of info, I'm just super excited to get into fishkeeping! And a little nervous as I don't want to do something wrong! <3

Edit: A picture of my little fancy dude! This is right when I got him home from the store, so I'll have to get a better picture later :3
Last edited by Chanceuxcat on Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
โ•”โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•—
she/they
university student
atheist

โ•šโ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•
Currently very anxious and trying to pass my classes so responses/activity may be delayed. Apologies, I'm really going through it and I'm trying my best
Chanceuxcat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:38 pm

Chanceuxcat wrote:
Hi there! I'm super excited to have found this awesome thread. I just got my first betta and I'm really excited to have him. My betta boy's considered a "Bumblebee Betta" by Petco, but I'm pretty sure he's either a chocolate or mustard gas betta by official colors! His body is a brownish kind of color with plumy yellow fins tipped with black. I'm also looking to get him some silk plants (or possibly real plants??), so if anyone knows of a cheap pack of them feel free to let me know!
He was getting pushed around a lot by the filter so I'm leaving unplugged for a few days as I read that it can take a few days for bettas to build up their muscles after being in a tiny container for who knows how many months. If this is bad though please let me know!

And eventually, I'm looking to get him some shrimp tankmates! Or snails maybe? Something low maintenance and (hope this doesn't sound too bad lol) something that is cheap enough that it won't be a big deal if they die or get eaten during the first few weeks.

This is probably a lot of info, I'm just super excited to get into fishkeeping! And a little nervous as I don't want to do something wrong! <3

Don't unplug the filter for long periods of time! By unplugging you limit/cut oxygen flow in the filter, which the beneficial bacteria need to up keep the nitrogen cycle in your tank. By cutting off that supply of oxygen you might also to kill the bacteria which then likely leads into ammonia/nitrite spike (which builds up in the filter and when you turn it back on all that will end up in your tank). This is also a reason why after long black out filters should be cleaned before turning them back on.
If you feel the flow is too strong for him (you are right that bettas kept in cups take a while to get used to the current in bigger tank) you can try to direct the output towards the glass, which should leave calmer areas in the tank for him to hang out in, or put piece of sponge on the output to disperse the flow. If he has a spot in the tank where he seems to be able to rest from the flow then I wouldn't worry too much about the filter for now. Just monitor him and if he keeps having trouble/spends a lot of time only in that quiet spot after a week then I would try to adjust the filter.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Chanceuxcat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:25 am

Hime wrote:
Chanceuxcat wrote:

Don't unplug the filter for long periods of time! By unplugging you limit/cut oxygen flow in the filter, which the beneficial bacteria need to up keep the nitrogen cycle in your tank. By cutting off that supply of oxygen you might also to kill the bacteria which then likely leads into ammonia/nitrite spike (which builds up in the filter and when you turn it back on all that will end up in your tank). This is also a reason why after long black out filters should be cleaned before turning them back on.
If you feel the flow is too strong for him (you are right that bettas kept in cups take a while to get used to the current in bigger tank) you can try to direct the output towards the glass, which should leave calmer areas in the tank for him to hang out in, or put piece of sponge on the output to disperse the flow. If he has a spot in the tank where he seems to be able to rest from the flow then I wouldn't worry too much about the filter for now. Just monitor him and if he keeps having trouble/spends a lot of time only in that quiet spot after a week then I would try to adjust the filter.

Oh I didn't realize that! He does have most of the tank calm so he's been able to swim back and forth without the current pushing him too much, I was just a little overly-worried haha. Thanks so much, I'll plug in the filter once I get home (I just unplugged it last night so hopefully nothing too bad should happen in a few hours) <3
โ•”โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•—
she/they
university student
atheist

โ•šโ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•
Currently very anxious and trying to pass my classes so responses/activity may be delayed. Apologies, I'm really going through it and I'm trying my best
Chanceuxcat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bouanich » Thu May 20, 2021 12:57 pm

Username: pluviophile!
How many fish tanks do you have: 1, it's a 10 gallon :D
Types of fish that you have: A betta, and as of tomorrow, three amano shrimp, two cherry shrimp and three otos!
Your fishs' names: i've only named the betta, his name is Tartaglia
How long have you had fish: (do not share your age!) about 5/6 years :D

๐‘๐”๐ ๐€๐–๐€๐˜ ๐–๐ˆ๐“๐‡ ๐Œ๐„,
๐‚ ๐€ ๐• ๐€ ๐‘ ๐€ ๐ƒ ๐Ž ๐’ ๐’ ๐ˆ !
โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โ”€ โœฉ
hi, i'm lilah !! she/her , canadian (EST) , enfp-t 7w6
carrd / th / stats.fmtexttexttexttexttexttexttex โ‹†๏ฝกยฐโœฉ
bouanich

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dove_ » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:26 am

Username: spidr_

How many fish tanks do you have: 2, one is a 36 gallon and another is a 3 gallon

Types of fish that you have: 3 dalmation molly, 3 creamsicle mollys, 3 red mollys, and 1 male crowntail betta

Your fishs' names:
Thomas Jefferfish (Dalmation molly)
George Washingfish (Dalmation molly)
Marquis de Lafishette (Dalmation molly)

Fish Burr (Creamsicle molly)
Alexander Hamilfish (Creamsicle molly)
Hercules Mullifish (Creamsicle molly)

Elizabeth Schuyfish (Red molly)
Angelica Schuyfish (Red molly)
Peggy Schuyfish (Red molly)

James Pond (Crowntail Betta)

How long have you had fish: (do not share your age!) had fish since 2016

i currently don't have pics of them, but i'll share them as soon as i get them!
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–ˆ

โ”Œxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxโ”
โ–ฌ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฟ๐—ฑ โ–ฌ
[url]โ–ฌ ๐˜€๐—ฝ๐—ผ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ณ๐˜† โ–ฌ[/url]
โ””xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxโ”˜

xxxxxx
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ
โ–ˆ

โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆ โ–ˆโ–ˆ

Imageโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌ

โ˜ผ she/it โ˜ผ istp 5w6 โ˜ผ slytherin โ˜ผ lawful neutral โ˜ผ cancer โ˜ผ
โ˜ผ mcu โ˜ผ fives (tcw) โ˜ผ star wars โ˜ผ the clone wars โ˜ผ

โ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌโ–ฌ

๐š๐ฌ๐ค ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐›๐ข๐ซ๐๐ฌ.

dove_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby felid » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:05 am

Username: bettasplendens
How many fish tanks do you have: 3, two 10 gallons (one divided), and one divided 20 gal
Types of fish that you have: Bettas (both sexes), Ghost shrimp, Cherry shrimp (Neocaridina)
Your fishs' names:
Rocket (male blue mustard gas veiltail)
Percy (male opal dragonscale veiltail)
Calypso (female galaxy koi plakat)
Festini (female Cambodian crowntail)
Liuk (female candy koi hmpk)

Here are some of the most notable shrimp:
Ghostie (ghost, f)
Pepper (ghost, m)
Chad (blue dream, m)
Lemonade (yellow neo, f)
Cayenne (red rili, f)

How long have you had fish: 2012!

Here's Calypso when she was younger, she's a cutie!
felid, noun: a member of the Felidae family

he/him - Dutch - avid reader - obsessed with hollow knight and typology
felid

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me