Calling All Rat Lovers/Owners!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

How Much Do You Love Rats?

I LOVE THEM TO ALL THE GALAXIES AND BACK!
50%
I ADORE THEM!
14%
I love them.
6%
I think they are cute. (Never owned one so I don't know the greatness of them)
30%

Total votes : 545

Re: Calling all rat lovers/owners!

Postby cek00 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Okay, but would just average fancy rat be safe in one? Also, is it okay to adopt rats from the pet store? Or are thy prone to illness?
cek00

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:35 pm

It depends on the rat really. All my girls are fancies/top ears, and three of the four of them should be good in that 1.5in spacing (if I remember the spacing correctly). They're all rather pudgy girls though. Um, I don't know exactly, you may need to use your own judgement when you have the rat, as to weather they could get out or not. I'm not good at judging length/distance very well, sorry.

And Pet store rats are a bit of a discussion in their own right. All but two of my rats have come from pet stores (since the closest legitimate breeder is about three hours drive from here and my mom refuses to take me on that long of a trip for a rat). Most of them are prone to early diseases, and I have had a few that died of kidney failure and such at as early as four months old. On the other hand, I've had three that have lived, 2+ years and only gotten sick once (colds mainly).
If you don't mind the uncertainty of their health and possibly temperament, then you might not have an issue with pet store rats. I would suggest looking for breeders close to you though, that way you've got a better chance of having your babies for 2-3 years or longer. Then if that fails, look for rescues close.
If you live in an area like me though, you won't have any legit breeders or rescues within a reasonable distance, and you can only buy from pet stores or feeder venders.

And I feel like I rambled again, sorry.
Image{ mars ` he ` toyhou.se }
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cek00 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Okay, If I do end up adopting rats, I will see if I can see the cage before I buy it.

I just checked petfinder, and they don't have much in the way of pet rats. I will look for breeder, but I would be very suprised if I find one. If I do end up buying from a pet store, should I make sure the two rats are housed together? I think I am leaning toward two female rats.
cek00

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Might be better to get two who're housed together, though you don't necessarily have to. It's easier to start off with two who are used to each other though, since you don't need two cages and two quarantine spaces, and then go through introducing them.

I love my girls. I prefer males though, just personally. They tend to be more laid back, bigger and squishier. They do smell more though. Just about all of my girls have been super hyper though, and I like more laid back pets.
Really depends on the rat though, and your personal preference.
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cek00 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks!

Oh, and I heard rats are noctornal, but they can adjust to our time. Is this true? Personally I don't want to be woken up my a rat running on a wheel. Haha
cek00

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah, they generally are. My Nyx never sleeps though, I swear, even if she is getting old. Somehow, they can stay up all day and be awake all night.
It can be hard listening to them run around for the first few weeks, but after a few years I've gotten used to it. In fact, it's weird if I can't hear them being noisy when I sleep.
If it get's squeaky though, you can grease it with safe things, though it doesn't last as long as say WD-40. (Vegetable oil, butter, etc. they can eat it and it's not going to kill them like actual grease.)
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cek00 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:05 pm

So they will not adjust to our schedule?
cek00

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Well, yes and no. My girls are always up when I go to school and when I come home, but they're up in the middle of the night too.
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cek00 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:12 pm

How nosiy are they durning the night? My mom is a really light sleeper, so I don't was her to be woken up by the rats, after all she told me that she wouldn't even want to touch a rat. =P
cek00

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:32 pm

As long as they aren't roughhousing and their wheel's not noisy they aren't that bad. Even then, it's not that bad. Both of those are easily fixed too. You can always shush them and grease the wheel.
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me