Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Postby mairon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:31 am

Hello, I am pretty new to the community, but I live in Europe and am planning to get a tricolour hognose this September after the Hamm expo. I've already found a breeder that will be there and has a well started male at a reasonable price, and have already done a bunch of research on the species and its care. The only thing I haven't found definitively is a humidity range. I know they have similar care to their western hoggie cousins, but they live in South America so they prefer a slightly higher humidity. I considered a moisture-retaining substrate like cypress mulch/eco earth, but I've seen some people that have found their tricolours to show some signs of scale rot in it. Instead, I was thinking of giving him a shaved aspen substrate with a humidity hide so he can decide if he wants to be more humid or more dry. However, I've read that some snakes just refuse to leave their humidity hides and end up developing scale rot as well, so maybe they should only be given access to them when shedding/in blue.

So I was wondering, what are your opinions on humidity hides for snakes in general? Would you recommend keeping them in there all the time or only when the snake is in shed?

Thank you!
mairon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alizia » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Hello mairon. :)
    Scale rot is rather difficult to cause; you'd have to really be soaking their enclosure in order for the snake to get it. I would advise against shaved aspen because it's very easy for snakes to get in their mouths and can cause infections and/or blockages. I also advise against Eco Earth, because it grows mold very easily and can be dusty (putting your snake at risk for respiratory infections). Cypress mulch is the best; it retains moisture, but not as much as Eco Earth (it's unlikely to grow mold and isn't usually dusty). You won't have problems with scale rot as long as you don't soak it. I use it for all of my snakes as it can be kept at varying degrees of humidity.

I recommend that you only use the humidity hide when your snake is in shed; you most likely won't need it at any other time. Just keep one end of the tank moderately dampened. If you spray the tank more while he is in shed, you may not even need it then. See how he does with his first shed and go from there.

On the note of cypress mulch: I now only buy Zoo Med Forest Floor (if using cypress mulch, I recommend it or an equivalent pet brand). I used to purchase cheaper cypress mulch (no brand, just came in unmarked bags) from a small local pet store, and 6 months in I got a bag that had mites. Definitely buy from a company that brands their mulch.
alizia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Snakes

Postby taurus ; » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Haven’t been on this thread for the longest! I ended up having to rehome Khaa. As a male ball python he only ate during the summer months and the stress was just way too much for me! He’s now a breeder making pastel pied babies.

Hopefully I can get a boa soon. I’ve thought of a corn but I don’t really like long skinny snakes ha. I’m interested in a dwarf no but goodness, they’re so feisty😅
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Midnight Mare » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:35 am

I have a baby ball python and I can't get him to eat. I can't switch to live because trying to feed live is why we got rid of our old snake. We've warmed them, increased clutter and hidden them, wiggled them, dipped them in chicken broth, everything. Does anyone have any suggestions. Last night my mom assist fed him. Someone told us to do that as a temporary solution until he grows out of being so picky but I don't much like the process.
June 2015 - April 3, 2020
Thank you so much to Loelya for this wonderful art of my late cat, Wilford.
ImageImageImage
Midnight Mare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blueh » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:44 am

Midnight Mare wrote:I have a baby ball python and I can't get him to eat. I can't switch to live because trying to feed live is why we got rid of our old snake. We've warmed them, increased clutter and hidden them, wiggled them, dipped them in chicken broth, everything. Does anyone have any suggestions. Last night my mom assist fed him. Someone told us to do that as a temporary solution until he grows out of being so picky but I don't much like the process.

baby ball pythons going off feed, contrary to popular belief, is not normal
it can cause serious health problems later down the road

be sure the check temperatures of hot spot, warm side, cool side & overall ambient.
be sure to check humidity. look for dehydration (often dehydration comes in the form of pinched looking scales)
add even more clutter. they could feel too exposed.
check your feeder--are you feeding an appropriate size, what are you feeding, is it healthy, where did it come from, etc
if the snake previously ate live, then you might have a harder time switching it to f/t and that could be your problem. try scenting it (w recently used bedding), warming it up, or moving it around to make it seem alive.
there is also the possibility that your snake it sick and will need to see an exotic vet

just remember--if it comes down to it, ur snake's life is more important than ur preference on how to feed. i get it, i really do, i can't stand feeding live. i cant be in the same room. it really, really sucks, but it's for ur bps health

my reptiles (aka my personal pets)
1.1 Uromastyx geyri, 3.1 Uromastyx ornata, 1.0 Uromastyx acanthinurus nigriventris, 2.0 piebald ball pythons, 1.0 puma ball python

i study lizards & bugs and like animals

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
blueh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Midnight Mare » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:52 am

blueh wrote:
Midnight Mare wrote:I have a baby ball python and I can't get him to eat. I can't switch to live because trying to feed live is why we got rid of our old snake. We've warmed them, increased clutter and hidden them, wiggled them, dipped them in chicken broth, everything. Does anyone have any suggestions. Last night my mom assist fed him. Someone told us to do that as a temporary solution until he grows out of being so picky but I don't much like the process.

baby ball pythons going off feed, contrary to popular belief, is not normal
it can cause serious health problems later down the road

be sure the check temperatures of hot spot, warm side, cool side & overall ambient.
be sure to check humidity. look for dehydration (often dehydration comes in the form of pinched looking scales)
add even more clutter. they could feel too exposed.
check your feeder--are you feeding an appropriate size, what are you feeding, is it healthy, where did it come from, etc
if the snake previously ate live, then you might have a harder time switching it to f/t and that could be your problem. try scenting it (w recently used bedding), warming it up, or moving it around to make it seem alive.
there is also the possibility that your snake it sick and will need to see an exotic vet

just remember--if it comes down to it, ur snake's life is more important than ur preference on how to feed. i get it, i really do, i can't stand feeding live. i cant be in the same room. it really, really sucks, but it's for ur bps health

I'll try adding more clutter. Like I said, my mom assist fed him last ngiht so he has eaten. The shoppe I got him from feeds frozen and I bought what they feed. He wouldn't eat that so I bought pinkies instead becauseI wondered if he was still nervous about how big the fuzzies were. I don't presently have access to fresh mouse bedding. I got a mouse cage second hand from someone but right now I don't have anywhere to set it up and as it is, my dad doesn't even know about the snake yet, so bringing in a mouse or two would likely not make him happy. Would rubbing it in rat bedding be comparable? We have a rat.
June 2015 - April 3, 2020
Thank you so much to Loelya for this wonderful art of my late cat, Wilford.
ImageImageImage
Midnight Mare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:19 am

What are your temperatures and humidity, and what are you using to measure with? Can you post a picture of your set up?
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mimu » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:01 am

This is Ruben, he's having some problems with shedding at the moment.
He has a little bath where he can help him self to it and his humidity his just
alright for him. I'm getting a little bit worried about his shedding, he hasn't
full shed right leaving his under belly scales there. Should i help him or just
leave it?

i really need some help T-T
Mimu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:16 am

I'm more experienced with ball pythons, but I imagine it's the same with corn snakes, so I hope this advice helps.

If he's having stuck shed, his humidity probably isn't alright. Are you using a digital hygrometer or an analog/pet store/dial one? The analog ones can be wildly inaccurate, so that could be one cause that you're reading it within proper ranges but it's not showing the actual results.

What substrate do you use? If it's one that holds moisture fairly well (coco chip, cypress mulch, etc.), then you can add more substrate to increase humidity. If he's in a tank, then covering the top about 3/4 of the way with something like plexiglass, foil tape, a towel, etc. can help insulate it better. If he's in a tub, then covering up some holes would help in the same manner.

To get his current stuck shed off, you can look into making a humid hide. This is basically like putting them in a sauna. So you take a tupperware, put a damp rag in it, put the snake in it, then put another damp rag in there. Close the tupperware, and leave the snake in there for about 20-30 minutes. If he doesn't have it off, you can keep him in there longer or try again later. You can also cut a hole in the tupperware (make sure to sand out any sharp edges) and just put the whole thing in his enclosure so he can choose to come and go.

Some people choose to use damp paper towels (although they're not always heavy enough for the snake to rub off stuck shed), sphagnum moss, or simply a few inches of substrate that holds moisture well. Anyway, the idea is that you want it to be very HUMID. Bathing or soaking, like some may recommend, doesn't really address that (since it's just getting the snake wet).

Hope that helps!
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mimu » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 am

okay right now i'm making him a himid hide at 23:56 in the night.
I do not have a digital hygrometer, but i have one of these,
it's in the middle of 70-60. his substrate is this and he's
perfectly fine with it for sure. My local shop suggest this kit to me
when i first get him, it's not much but they did say it will help him.
( it came with food, water dish, substrate and the normal kit you'll get
for a corn snake)
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxImage

x
xx
Xx( ㅅ´ ˘ ` ) ── ★ ˙ ̟
Tinky | Artist | Adult
"I gave you all i had..."
xXXx✦ | Kals |
xxxxxArt credit !

Mimu